Connecticut town to burn violent video games as Sandy Hook returns to school

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

Connecticut town to burn violent video games as Sandy Hook returns to school

in New York

Connecticut community is to hold an amnesty of violent video games in the wake of last month's mass shooting in Newtown.

Organisers Southington SOS plan to offer gift certificates in exchange for donated games, which will be burned. The group, a coalition of local organisations, says its actions do not assert that video games were the cause of the killings in nearby Newtown, but argues that violent games and films desensitize children to "acts of violence".

Pupils from Sandy Hook elementary school, where 26 people were killed on 17 December, returned to classes for the first time on Thursday in the neighbouring town of Monroe. Sandy Hook elementary is still being treated as a crime scene and it is unclear if it will ever reopen.

The video game amnesty will take place on 12 January in Southington, a 30-minute drive east from Newtown. The town of Southington has provided a dumpsterorganisers said, where violent video games, CDs or DVDs will be collected.

"As people arrive in their cars to turn in their games of violence, they will be offered a gift certificate donated by a member of the Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce as a token of appreciation for their action of responsible citizenship," the group said in a statement.

"Violent games turned in will be destroyed and placed in the town dumpster for appropriate permanent disposal."

John Myers, chairman of Southington YMCA and member of Southington SOS, was not immediately available to speak to the Guardian, but tech website Polygon reported that the works would be incinerated by town employees.

The press release accompanying the announcement said that Southington SOS's action should not be "construed as statement declaring that violent video games were the cause of the shocking violence in Newtown on December 14".

"Rather, Southington SOS is saying is that there is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to acts of violence including bullying.

"Social and political commentators, as well as elected officials including the president, are attributing violent crime to many factors including inadequate gun control laws, a culture of violence and a recreational culture of violence."

Police in Newtown have still not released a motive for why Adam Lanza killed his mother and 26 others, including 20 children, last month. But experts have disputed the link between violent video games and violence.

A study by Texas A&M university last year found that exposure to violent games "had neither short-term nor long-term predictive influences on either positive or negative outcomes". Christopher J Ferguson, one of the report authors, wrote in Time magazine in December that "there is no good evidence that video games or other media contributes, even in a small way, to mass homicides or any other violence among youth".

More than 400 students of Sandy Hook elementary returned to classes for the first time on Thursday at a school in Monroe. The school was heavily guarded by police with officers describing it as the "safest school in America", according to the Associated Press.

Danbury, the nearest large town to Newtown, had been due to host a gun show this coming weekend but the event was cancelled following the massacre in December. The show, which was set to span Saturday and Sunday, was organised by New York-based Big Al's gun shows but pulled after a number of complaints. A man answering the phone at Big Al's gun shows told the Guardian that the event had been permanently cancelled rather than postponed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

Re: Connecticut town to burn violent video games as Sandy Hook returns to school

This is what it's coming down to.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Connecticut town to burn violent video games as Sandy Hook returns to school

Video games are fun , I have been playing them since the 80s in the arcades.

I was only in my 20s back then. It's strange that I never got the urge to go out and buy assault weapons and shoot people. I have never even held a real gun. Nor do I want to.

I had lots of fun blowing away robots in Berserk, space aliens in Space Invaders, Galaxian and Galaga. I 've been playing hockey, baseball, football, racing and Navy Seals games for over 10 years. I use the T.V. more for video games than watching Televisin shows ( which are teaching much worse to young kids than video games are).

Time for people to wise up and stop looking for scapegoats.

America, we have found the enemy ...and he is us.

Our society is aggresive , competitive, and disrespectful. It is apparent in every walk of life, from advertising to sports to movies to road rage. We are a society that doesn't get mad, we get even.....we even get even with people who never did anything in the first place. Our history is all about wars, we honor people who shoot guns, we make movies about people who shoot guns. We love NFL when it is violent , we want out hockey hard and nasty, we watch stupid sh*t like UFC fighting. Reality shows are loaded with confrontation, jealousy and shouting. We all know someone who hunts....YOU KNOW, THOSE GUYS WITH SCOPES AND HIGH-POWERED RIFLE WO GO OUT WITH THEIR BIG PICKUPS AND SHOOT WILD, AGGRESSIVE ANIMALS LIKE BUNNIES AND DEER.

You want to blame somebody  Americans?.....look in the mirror. We are the problem. We love violence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Video games are fun , I have been playing them since the 80s in the arcades.

I was only in my 20s back then. It's strange that I never got the urge to go out and buy assault weapons and shoot people. I have never even held a real gun. Nor do I want to.

I had lots of fun blowing away robots in Berserk, space aliens in Space Invaders, Galaxian and Galaga. I 've been playing hockey, baseball, football, racing and Navy Seals games for over 10 years. I use the T.V. more for video games than watching Televisin shows ( which are teaching much worse to young kids than video games are).

Time for people to wise up and stop looking for scapegoats.

America, we have found the enemy ...and he is us.

Our society is aggresive , competitive, and disrespectful. It is apparent in every walk of life, from advertising to sports to movies to road rage. We are a society that doesn't get mad, we get even.....we even get even with people who never did anything in the first place. Our history is all about wars, we honor people who shoot guns, we make movies about people who shoot guns. We love NFL when it is violent , we want out hockey hard and nasty, we watch stupid sh*t like UFC fighting. Reality shows are loaded with confrontation, jealousy and shouting. We all know someone who hunts....YOU KNOW, THOSE GUYS WITH SCOPES AND HIGH-POWERED RIFLE WO GO OUT WITH THEIR BIG PICKUPS AND SHOOT WILD, AGGRESSIVE ANIMALS LIKE BUNNIES ND DEER.

You want to blame somebody  Americans?.....look in the mirror. We are the problem. We love violence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry for the double post, computer not acting properly....

...if I had a gun , I'd shoot it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from msobstinate99. Show msobstinate99's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Sorry for the double post, computer not acting properly....

...if I had a gun , I'd shoot it.

I think it was worth repeating. 

Good job and right on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

This stuff really gets me angry. I have been playing video games since I was 5 years old (back then it was Coleco hand-helds).

If anything, it was the video games that kept me out of jail. They kept me from turning into the guys shooting up schools and movie theaters. I played the shooters and I took my anger out on the game instead of people.

The games also let you be someone you aren't. If you play GTA or Saints Row or COD, you get to be someone you aren't. How many people, seriously, would consider actually going around town and destroying everything they see? Despite the recent news, the number is a lot lower than most believe. The games let you be the monster without having to do it for real, and if you can do it in the game, you don't need to do it for real.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to undead's comment:

This stuff really gets me angry. I have been playing video games since I was 5 years old (back then it was Coleco hand-helds).

If anything, it was the video games that kept me out of jail. They kept me from turning into the guys shooting up schools and movie theaters. I played the shooters and I took my anger out on the game instead of people.

The games also let you be someone you aren't. If you play GTA or Saints Row or COD, you get to be someone you aren't. How many people, seriously, would consider actually going around town and destroying everything they see? Despite the recent news, the number is a lot lower than most believe. The games let you be the monster without having to do it for real, and if you can do it in the game, you don't need to do it for real.

I suppose this is how it works for most of us.

You can be a complete juvenile deliquent ( even if you're in your 50s!!!) in Grand Theft Auto games. I played this game for hours , years ago...eventually I tired of jacking cars, buses, trucks, beating up pedestrians, running from the cops, tossing molatov cocktails, grenades, etc.

We used to play Battleship, Rock Em Sock Em Robots, and a number of other board games when we were kids. These games ar primitive compared to graphic video games. But we had fun , and we knew they were only games. Hard to imagine that "normal" kids don't realize that video games aren't an example of real life. However, who the heck knows ( besides a psychologist ) , what abnormal brains think at all.

Just like Heavy Metal music was blamed for a multitude of sins, so are video games. Heavy Metal, Punk rock and video games have occupied much of my spare time over the past 40 years. I am probably one of the least violent people you will ever meet.

Sections
Shortcuts