CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

http://www.kltv.com/story/20345707/school-shooting-reported-in-newtown

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

Obviously, we need to lower the age limit for concealed carry so toddlers can defend themselves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

One thing is for certain, this is not the time to talk about gun control.

20 or more people shot and possible 12 more people dead in yet another mass shooting, but, and this is important, we shouldn't take the opportinity to examine our gun culture and the laws surrounding guns. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

They don't want to hospitalize the mentally ill and keep closing the mental institutions.

There are some people that need a structured environment (lifetime) so that they don't hurt themselves or others.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Reports are now that 27 are dead, 18 of them children. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Reports are now that 27 are dead, 18 of them children. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yeah,  they don't ask for help anymore because they know they'll get diagnosed with a Major Mental Illness and won't be able to get life/disability insurance etc.

Not to mention the stigma and co-pays!

Years ago supportive therapy was much more available and affordable.

ETA: And you didn't have to have a concrete plan, means and intent, to be pink-papered (Section 12 in Mass.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

error/repeat post

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

20 or more people shot and possible 12 more people dead in yet another mass shooting, but, and this is important, we shouldn't take the opportinity to examine our gun culture and the laws surrounding guns. 

Actually what needs to be examined is what is driving these people to kill like this. This isn't about gun control. It's about what the hell is driving people to act this way. 

Other than the basic human instinct toward violence, you mean?

The only real differences are the growth in population and the efficiency with which technology has made killing 'easier'.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

Thanks for the prays...... my family is ok ..... but we can't believe this is happening again. My thoughts now are for those poor families in CT !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

The only real differences are the growth in population and the efficiency with which technology has made killing 'easier'.

[/QUOTE]

Humans have no instinct for violence!

We have a culture that gets thrilled by violence but, it's NOT an instinct.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Humans have no instinct for violence!

We have a culture that gets thrilled by violence but, it's NOT an instinct.

Humans are still warm-blooded, carnivorous animals, and animals do indeed have this instinct to injure and/or kill, especially when threatened.

It manifests in all sorts of ways - more in some than in others - but the basic dna is still there.

This isn't even a controversial question in anthropological terms.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Actually what needs to be examined is what is driving these people to kill like this. This isn't about gun control. It's about what the hell is driving people to act this way. 

Huh? Killing wasn't easy in 1970? 1960? 1950? Etc? It's always been easy to kill with the guns that have been in existence for quite some time now. 

Automatic weapons are far more prevalent now than they were back then.  Kevlar applications are far more advanced now.

To wit, another school attack just occurred in China in which 22 kids were injured, though none fatally up until now.  One difference is that perp had a knife, not a gun.

We are also more populous and densely populated, which has been proven to stress people way the f**k out, although it's not clear that that was a motive here.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[/QUOTE]

Humans are still warm-blooded, carnivorous animals, and animals do indeed have this instinct to injure and/or kill, especially when threatened.

It manifests in all sorts of ways - more in some than in others - but the basic dna is still there.

[/QUOTE]

You are confusing the instinct for survival with an instinct for violence.

The instinct for survival is what can cause humans to use violent measures (killing things for food or when fearful of loss of life) but, it is not because they instinctually crave the act of violence!

in·stinct

1 /ˈɪn stɪŋkt/ Show Spelled [in-stingkt] Show IPA

noun 1. an inborn pattern of activity or tendency to action common to a given biological species.

2. a natural or innate impulse, inclination, or tendency.

3. a natural aptitude or gift: an instinct for making money. 4. natural intuitive power.  

I am arguing that the violent act is a secondary reaction to an instinct for survival or reaction to fear.  

You are confusing the instinct for survival with an instinct for violence.

The instinct for survival is what can cause humans to use violent measures (killing things for food or when fearful of loss of life) but, it is not because they instinctually crave the act of violence!

• Perhaps.

And yet, humans still have to make that distinction of what they feel they need to do to 'survive'.  I'm not sure that explains violent crimes of passion or violence toward women, children, or animals.

The problem comes when people can't make that distinction and become violent for the sake of violence.

I'm also not sure if it explains the human fascination with violence, which is documented back to ancient times.

But I'll agree with you somewhat that most killers are made, not born.

• This post has been removed.

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

I am arguing that the violent act is a secondary reaction to an instinct for survival or reaction to fear.

Then how do you explain things like the Colleseum? Tens of thousands of people gathering to watch captives get ripped apart by wild animals. What other than an instinct, a lust even, for violence explains that?
    Why do people get angry at the world and their response to that anger is to go to a mall or other location and shoot random people? 

We aren't much above animals. Not yet. We have a long way to go.

The lust (which is an emotion) for watching violence and an instinct to carry out violent acts are 2 different things completely.

People covet what they know. We know that killing people will cause pain for many others as well. So, imho in most case it is done to cause great pain due to a psychotic feeling of hopelessness or fear.

We are animals. Animals kill for food or survival (same thing) not for fun or just to hurt others.

What does Kevlar have to do with walking into a school and ripping off rounds into people? And further, what does prevalent of guns have to do with the behavior? People aren't doing these mass killings simply because guns are more prevalent. Are guns the tools they are using? Yup. But it's not the reason for the act. Your example of the incident in china is a perfect example. It's not about the weapon....it's about the reason behind the act. What is causing these people to kill like this? Not sure why you would think dense population would be a reason for killing. That's a new one!

Any type of armor is a form of security for the shooter that instills confidence.

I'm not saying that prevalence of more efficient killing machines creates the violence; I'm saying they enable further violence by allowing more and greater injuries in these situations.

Yes, a shooter could kill as many or more people with a non-automatic weapon, but it would take longer than it would with a automatic weapon.

Population density can be a huge stress factor in peoples' lives and lead to mental imbalances.  Again, of course, someone who lives in the boonies can be just as violent, but if you're talking about human behavior relative to violent behavior, then there are always contributing factors, like stress.

There's always a causal delta to determining which factors lead someone to do something like this.  It starts at the biological level and goes all the way up to the societal level.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The kid was MENTALLY ILL,  they can backpedal all they want...  but someone dropped the ball, he must have shown signs of instability.  

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Then how do you explain things like the Colleseum? Tens of thousands of people gathering to watch captives get ripped apart by wild animals. What other than an instinct, a lust even, for violence explains that?
    Why do people get angry at the world and their response to that anger is to go to a mall or other location and shoot random people? 

We aren't much above animals. Not yet. We have a long way to go.

We are animals. Animals kill for food or survival (same thing) not for fun or just to hurt others.

Some studies of higher intelligent animals, like chimps and dolphins, have openly questioned this assertion.  In some cases, it appears that violence is committed against others with very ambiguous reasons for doing so, meaning there's little to no benefit to the perpetrators, so why do they do it...?

• Sections
    Shortcuts