CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

You guys are trying to make sense out of a senseless act of violence. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it made sense.

I just said there are reasons why people do terrible things to each other.  And themselves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tvoter's comment:

The lust for watching violence and an instinct to carry out violent acts are 2 different things completely.

Unless one is caused by the other, of course. Sigh.

[/QUOTE]

If a person has a deminished respect for or value of life due to watching violence; that does NOT make it instinctual. sigh

Instinctual means you are born with it and can't avoid it.. Are children born wanting to hurt others for no reason other than it's in their instinct?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yes, if they are mentally ill.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thanks Robin for directing me here. I don't have anything to contribute except my sadness for these families.. I have a daughter and I cannot fathom dropping her off at school years ago to find out she was shot dead. .. WTF....  she is pregnant with my grandson and I am afraid for the world he is coming into..  this is just insane...  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mentally ill falls outside of instinctual

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

If a person has a deminished respect for or value of life due to watching violence; that does NOT make it instinctual. sigh

Instinctual means you are born with it and can't avoid it.. Are children born wanting to hurt others for no reason other than it's in their instinct?

[/QUOTE]

No, it means that potential is there, even if it's never realized in practice.

Instinct is not a reason, yet it could be a cause for a resulting behavior depending upon the factors you mentioned earlier.

People have evolved to comparatively suppress this instinct in order for us to live together so closely in such great numbers without feeling threatened.  Some people, however, are incapable of fully suppressing it and so are more likely to act out aggressively.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My older sister is mentally ill. She thinks she is normal and the rest of the world crazy. We cannot get her help since she was diagnosed not a threat to herself or society and refuses to take medication. Double edge sword.. Not all mentally ill people are violent.  

I should clarify she has never been violent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am arguing that the violent act is a secondary reaction to an instinct for survival or reaction to fear.

Then how do you explain things like the Colleseum? Tens of thousands of people gathering to watch captives get ripped apart by wild animals. What other than an instinct, a lust even, for violence explains that?
    Why do people get angry at the world and their response to that anger is to go to a mall or other location and shoot random people? 

We aren't much above animals. Not yet. We have a long way to go.

[/QUOTE]

We are animals. Animals kill for food or survival (same thing) not for fun or just to hurt others.

[/QUOTE]

Some studies of higher intelligent animals, like chimps and dolphins, have openly questioned this assertion.  In some cases, it appears that violence is committed against others with very ambiguous reasons for doing so, meaning there's little to no benefit to the perpetrators, so why do they do it...?

[/QUOTE]

I would gander there are mentally ill chimps and dolphins too but, that does not make it instinctual to the species.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Hi Ambergirl,  the news is terrible, I gave up cable a few years ago and when my TV dies I'm not sure I'll replace it. 

It does make you thankful for whatever you have. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amen Robin.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Robin39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mentally ill falls outside of instinctual

[/QUOTE]

Not if it's inherited.  In that case, it's biological.

And "mentally ill" is a huge catch-all; too big to really describe the neurology.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

I would gander there are mentally ill chimps and dolphins too but, that does not make it instinctual to the species.

[/QUOTE]

Again, yes, that's possible, but there's little way to prove that so far, except by way of saying that a higher intellect is not a predictor of ideal behavior.  We still evolved as a mammalian species, which means that early, violent DNA is still present in modern humans, no matter how small.

And again, if the "illness" is genetic/biological, then it exists in the mind whether or not it's borne out in violent behavior.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

Again, yes, that's possible, but there's little way to prove that so far, except by way of saying that a higher intellect is not a predictor of ideal behavior.  We still evolved as a mammalian species, which means that early, violent DNA is still present in modern humans, no matter how small.

And again, if the "illness" is genetic/biological, then it exists in the mind whether or not it's borne out in violent behavior.

[/QUOTE]

I do not belive it's "violent DNA".

I believe it is violent behavior due to survival instincts in some cases, fear in some cases. In this case I believe it may be mental illness.

It appears he killed his mom who it's reported was a teacher at this school.

Its a tragic horrible event that needs time and a thorough investigation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The truest post here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to ambergirl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My older sister is mentally ill. She thinks she is normal and the rest of the world crazy. We cannot get her help since she was diagnosed not a threat to herself or society and refuses to take medication. Double edge sword.. Not all mentally ill people are violent.  

I should clarify she has never been violent.

[/QUOTE]

I have a friend whose ex-wife is mentally ill and violent.  She's still out and about.  Eventually she'll hurt someone bad enough to get institutionalized or get hurt herself.

She can't be helped.  She'll just get worse and worse.  Eventually she'll be homeless and who knows what will happen then.  Her mental illness prevents her from even considering that she has a mental illness.

Even when she does hurt someone, the system doesn't really want her in jail.  Jail is expensive and she'll be victimized in jail as well as cause all kinds of problems for the guards. Her best hope is that her illness progresses to the point where she needs to be hospitalized and then she can be sedated forever.  It's really very sad.

She has a physical condition that causes her brain to slowly deteriorate.  It affects how she acts and affects her physically.  Eventually, if she's lucky, she'll be bedridden with a feeding tube as her mental illness deepens.  It's like being on a bad acid trip wrapped in a straight jacket.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree so much with this.. There is no reason for crazy. It is what it is and you cannot even begin to make sense of it as much as you try.

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The truest post here.

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not belive it's "violent DNA".

I believe it is violent behavior due to survival instincts in some cases, fear in some cases. In this case I believe it may be mental illness.

It appears he killed his mom who it's reported was a teacher at this school.

Its a tragic horrible event that needs time and a thorough investigation.

[/QUOTE]

Understand that I'm not trying to infer what happened here...

...I just trying to explain the biological processes at work when humans become violent...only a small part of which we really understand.

Aside from mental illness - which we can only guess at - how is this event a matter of either survival or fear...?  How could someone possibly feel threatened by small children..?

You see, the elimination of the latter two "reasons" does not point directly to "mental illness".  There's more to it than that...more than any of us realize.

And I'm afraid that knee-jerk cries of "mental illness" are seldom helpful or truly accurate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree so much with this.. There is no reason for crazy. It is what it is and you cannot even begin to make sense of it as much as you try.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The truest post here.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Sometimes "crazy" is just a label we use to feel better about ourselves or to comfort us in traumatic situations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Mark your calendars. 20 innocent kids died today because the NRA thought it was more important to protect a mentally unstable person's right to own assualt weapons, then to protect the lives of innocent children.

In a country where there are more restrictions placed on voting then on owning assault rifles, we have sadly lost our way.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The truest post here.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Sometimes "crazy" is just a label we use to feel better about ourselves or to comfort us in traumatic situations.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Sometimes there are just truly evil people out there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[/QUOTE]

Understand that I'm not trying to infer what happened here...

...I just trying to explain the biological processes at work when humans become violent...only a small part of which we really understand.

Aside from mental illness - which we can only guess at - how is this event a matter of either survival or fear...?  How could someone possibly feel threatened by small children..?

You see, the elimination of the latter two "reasons" does not point directly to "mental illness".  There's more to it than that...more than any of us realize.

And I'm afraid that knee-jerk cries of "mental illness" are seldom helpful or truly accurate.

[/QUOTE]

I dont belive he was threatened by the children but, tal=ke into account he also killed his mother before going to the school. It's reported that his mother worked for the school.

I do not pretend to know why he did this and cannot fathom any reasoning.

My point is that random acts of violence are not instinctual. That is all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mark your calendars. 20 innocent kids died today because the NRA thought it was more important to protect a mentally unstable person's right to own assualt weapons, then to protect the lives of innocent children.

In a country where there are more restrictions placed on voting then on owning assault rifles, we have sadly lost our way.

[/QUOTE]

Sadly, you have lost your way If you think voting is more restricted than gun ownership.