CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Annual number of deaths in US and causes

Smoking tobacco - 435,000

Being overweight/obesity - 111,909

Alcohol - 85,000

Infectious disease - 75,000

Toxic agents - 55,000

Preventable medical errors in hospitals - 44,000 to 98,000 (estimates vary, significant numbers of preventable deaths also result from errors outside of hospitals)

Traffic collisions - 43,000

Firearms deaths - 29,000 (suicide: 16,586; homicide: 10,801; accidents: 776; legal intervention: 270; unknown: 230

Sexually transmitted infections - 20,000

Drug abuse - 17,000

While I agree the avg citizen doesn't need assault weapons, why aren't we as outraged about the number of preventable deaths caused by smoking and alcohol? Why no call for more tobacco and alcohol control? Why no call for limiting the number of beer one can buy? Why no call for banning kegs?

Again, I'm all for banning assault weapons and limiting magazine capacity to ten rounds, but given that tobbaco and alcohol takes 15 times and almost 3 times, respectively, as many lives as guns do then why aren't we more outraged at that? Shouldn't we be? 

[/QUOTE]

I'll assume the sexually transmitted disease deaths are predominantly aids.  So,  more people die from aids than from gun/homicide.  Therefore, we should ban, what???

Let's see how liberals deal with that inconsistency.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Annual number of deaths in US and causes

Smoking tobacco - 435,000

Being overweight/obesity - 111,909

Alcohol - 85,000

Infectious disease - 75,000

Toxic agents - 55,000

Preventable medical errors in hospitals - 44,000 to 98,000 (estimates vary, significant numbers of preventable deaths also result from errors outside of hospitals)

Traffic collisions - 43,000

Firearms deaths - 29,000 (suicide: 16,586; homicide: 10,801; accidents: 776; legal intervention: 270; unknown: 230

Sexually transmitted infections - 20,000

Drug abuse - 17,000

While I agree the avg citizen doesn't need assault weapons, why aren't we as outraged about the number of preventable deaths caused by smoking and alcohol? Why no call for more tobacco and alcohol control? Why no call for limiting the number of beer one can buy? Why no call for banning kegs?

Again, I'm all for banning assault weapons and limiting magazine capacity to ten rounds, but given that tobbaco and alcohol takes 15 times and almost 3 times, respectively, as many lives as guns do then why aren't we more outraged at that? Shouldn't we be? 

[/QUOTE]

I'll assume the sexually transmitted disease deaths are predominantly aids.  So,  more people die from aids than from gun/homicide.  Therefore, we should ban, what???

Let's see how liberals deal with that inconsistency.

[/QUOTE]

A gross assumption.

You should really have some empirical data before going off half-co**ed on yet another homophobic rant.  (pun intended)

By far, the dominant method of HIV transmission is heterosexual intercourse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

why aren't we as outraged about the number of preventable deaths caused by smoking and alcohol? Why no call for more tobacco and alcohol control? Why no call for limiting the number of beer one can buy? Why no call for banning kegs?

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most of the damage from the activities you note is damage done by the individual to himself.

To make it more analogous, consider DUI deaths. Not just general alcohol-related harm. There, someone else is doing the damage to you, just as in the gun situation. And there we see a lot of calls for more to be done.

Indeed, the Mass. press recently indicted Mass. judges because of a shockingly high acquittal rate in DUI cases.

(And as an aside, I just don't understand how that happens. In every other context, the judge or jury credits the cop's testimony, no matter how vague or dubious it is, roughly 99% of the time. But in DUI cases, the judges apparently discredit the officer's testimony about sobriety testing. I have no idea why).

Also, consider second-hand smoke. When it's a smoker killing themselves, people are more likely to shrug and lament it, perhaps even ask for some measures like public information campaigns. But not demand a ban.

When it's a smoker killing someone else with his second-hand smoke, well, then all of a sudden a lot of people make a lot of noise about it. Now there are no bars here you can smoke in, etc.

[/QUOTE]

I assume the number of deaths from alcohol include drunk driving. Many children have been taken from this earth way too early due to drunk drivers. And yet we are not as outraged. 

But to your point about smokers mostly killing themselves and therefore people shrug it off, well I've seen people argue about gun control due to suicides and incidents where people accidentally shoot themselves. So why do we care more about those people and not the smokers?

[/QUOTE]

But we are outraged at that. Consider that the laws have been strengthened over the past few years in response to the number of incidents. Same with smoking. Smoking is banned in most public places. Imagine the outcry if we made carrying a concealed weapon illegal?

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

None of those statistics involve an instrument designed specifically to kill.

The murders of these children was a result of someone using a weapon specifically for what it was intended to do...kill.

[/QUOTE]

Cigarettes kill. Specifically.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think the sale of cigarettes should be banned altogether. But we take what we can get in a world in which we must compromise. The point being we can do much better with the gun issue. Most gun owners agree that there should be a ban on assault weapons.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Odd that my dad had guns for years and never killed anything more than a paper target and the occassional tin can. So it's ok that some a55hole drinks too much and gets into his/her car and kills someone? Why does someone's death only matter if the "weapon" was something that was "designed to kill" versus a car? Either way people NEEDLESSLY died at the hands of someone else. 

What are you talking about?

There has been a seachange in the efforts of law enforcement to combat DUI.

Random checkpoints, harsher penalties the lowering of the threshold for conviction.

And they have all led to less automobile deaths across the country.

[/QUOTE]

But why no call for limiting amount of alcohol one can buy or consume? Wouldn't THAT have a much better impact on drunk driving deaths??? Obviously harsher penalties isn't doing it since many still drink and drive. Again alcohol related deaths 85,000, gun death 29,000.

[/QUOTE]

Again, I don't think the alcohol or the car is the issue.  The hammered driver is.

Ignition interlock devices aren't a bad idea, especially for repeat offenders.  Too buzzed?  Car won't start.

Granted, it only takes one bad ride to cause a tragedy, but some prevention is better than none, imo.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.