CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: CT elemetary school shooting; praying all my BDC friends and family are ok!

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why not call for limiting the amount of alcohol one can purchase? Why not ban kegs? Obviously harsher penalties aren't preventing people from drinking too much and driving. And sorry but I don't see message boards calling for alcohol control everytime there is a drunk driving accident where a life is taken. So there is no public outcry like there is in regards to guns. Not even close....yet 3 times more people die at the hands of alcohol than guns. 

Now you're just being absurd.

The amount of alcohol purchased has absolutely no correlation to drunk driving.

Alcohol is not designed to kill. Cars are not deigned to kill.

There are no "public outcries" that rise to level of these massacres because drunks don't get into their cars and systematically run down and kill 26 innocent people.

[/QUOTE]

So guns aren't used for target shooting? I know many gun owners who've never killed anything except a paper target.

"There are no "public outcries" that rise to level of these massacres because drunks don't get into their cars and systematically run down and kill 26 innocent people."

True, but 10,228 did die from drunk driving accidents in 2010. No biggie!

[/QUOTE]

I believe we have laws around drunken driving.  We have laws about selling alcohol to kids.  In fact, alcohol and automobiles are highly regulated.  Maybe we need to raise the level or regulations on guns to the same level as automobile and alcohol.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to skeeter20's comment:

I'll assume the sexually transmitted disease deaths are predominantly aids.  So,  more people die from aids than from gun/homicide.  Therefore, we should ban, what?? Let's see how liberals deal with that inconsistency

That only seems inconsistent if your IQ is below 70.

[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see I have a subject-changer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to msobstinate99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

None of those statistics involve an instrument designed specifically to kill.

The murders of these children was a result of someone using a weapon specifically for what it was intended to do...kill.

[/QUOTE]

Cigarettes kill. Specifically.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think the sale of cigarettes should be banned altogether. But we take what we can get in a world in which we must compromise. The point being we can do much better with the gun issue. Most gun owners agree that there should be a ban on assault weapons.

[/QUOTE]

How do we do better with the gun issue, a.k.a. more gun regulation, when the guns involved in these incidences are almost entirely illegal to the people using them?  How on Earth does regulating legal ownership and use further stop things like this?  Am I missing something?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ok, for sake of argument I'll give you guns original purpose was for killing. Mainly for food but also for protection. Ok. But so what? Guns are no longer solely used for killing food to live and for protection to the level it was hundreds of years ago. But really what does that have to do with nutbags going on killing sprees? While horrifically tragic, they are the exception and not the rule. And getting rid of assault rifles (which I agree with) is not going to stop these mass killings. And please stop with the drunk driving laws. It's a joke. 10,000+ per year die from drunk driving accidents. Stop acting like these laws are doing some great job. We still need these laws but come on...

They are 'exceptions' of more and more frequency and lethality. These horrific crimes are being visited on children in schools or movie theaters. And in the light of uch tragedies, the gun lobby continues to push for less restrictions.

How absurd would it be for a group to form to advocate for less restrictions on DUI?

Your false equivalence misses the entire point.

In response to public outrage over DUI deaths unprecedented action was taken to minimize it's effects and it was hugely successful. DUI deaths have fallen dramatically.

No one believes that there are any laws that could protect people entirely, that's your reducto absurdum argument, not reality.

What people realize is that in order to REDUCE DUI deaths, extraordinary measures must be taken. And they were. There was no one proclaiming it would eliminate DUI deaths but rather it was in society's best interest to forgo a little personal liberty in the effort to REDUCE DUI deaths. And it has been a huge success by all measures.

Again, no one believes that any laws are foolproof but they do want a concerted effort to REDUCE gun-related massacres. They want the gun advocate groups like the NRA to stop it's ridiculous '2nd Amed. rights are inviolable' nonsense and realize that no rights are absolute.

If we as a society were/are willing to give up some personal freedoms in an effort to reduce DUI deaths then it is not extreme to ask the gun owners to do the same.

Like I said, how crazy would it sound if a lobby was formed for more rights for DUI drivers?

[/QUOTE]

This is where I have issue with new gun laws....will the time and money it takes to create these new laws even make a difference? How many times have you picked up a paper and read the headline that so and so was arrested for an eigth, ninth DUI? I am not making light of a tragic situation, all I am trying to say is ..... will new gun laws prevent someone that is set on killing, from killing? 

Something has to change, but I'm afraid people think by changing these laws the killings will stop. They won't. And we'll all be around the round table once again. 

[/QUOTE]

I heard somewhere that there are 25,000 gun laws0on the books.  How will the 25,001 law really make a difference?

If anything, gun ownership is over regulated, to the point where law-abiding citizens are at risk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Photo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

I heard somewhere that there are 25,000 gun laws0on the books.  How will the 25,001 law really make a difference?

Because it matters what you heard, and because it doesn't matter what the existing laws actually say?

[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously deny that the gun laws on the books now are not being inforced?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Because it matters what you heard, and because it doesn't matter what the existing laws actually say?

[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously deny that the gun laws on the books now are not being inforced?

[/QUOTE]

The current laws are insufficient.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They are not.  That's part of the point.  Another law is not going to solve anything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The current laws are insufficient.  

[/QUOTE]

What law would you enact that is sufficent?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

gun ownership is over regulated

Trying to get attention by saying the stupidest thing you can think up?

[/QUOTE]

Clearly not, despite your childish reply.  You have people unable to protect themselves in places like Washinton D.C. , Chicago, Detroit, all due to over regualtion of gun ownership.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ok, for sake of argument I'll give you guns original purpose was for killing. Mainly for food but also for protection. Ok. But so what? Guns are no longer solely used for killing food to live and for protection to the level it was hundreds of years ago. But really what does that have to do with nutbags going on killing sprees? While horrifically tragic, they are the exception and not the rule. And getting rid of assault rifles (which I agree with) is not going to stop these mass killings. And please stop with the drunk driving laws. It's a joke. 10,000+ per year die from drunk driving accidents. Stop acting like these laws are doing some great job. We still need these laws but come on...

They are 'exceptions' of more and more frequency and lethality. These horrific crimes are being visited on children in schools or movie theaters. And in the light of uch tragedies, the gun lobby continues to push for less restrictions.

How absurd would it be for a group to form to advocate for less restrictions on DUI?

Your false equivalence misses the entire point.

In response to public outrage over DUI deaths unprecedented action was taken to minimize it's effects and it was hugely successful. DUI deaths have fallen dramatically.

No one believes that there are any laws that could protect people entirely, that's your reducto absurdum argument, not reality.

What people realize is that in order to REDUCE DUI deaths, extraordinary measures must be taken. And they were. There was no one proclaiming it would eliminate DUI deaths but rather it was in society's best interest to forgo a little personal liberty in the effort to REDUCE DUI deaths. And it has been a huge success by all measures.

Again, no one believes that any laws are foolproof but they do want a concerted effort to REDUCE gun-related massacres. They want the gun advocate groups like the NRA to stop it's ridiculous '2nd Amed. rights are inviolable' nonsense and realize that no rights are absolute.

If we as a society were/are willing to give up some personal freedoms in an effort to reduce DUI deaths then it is not extreme to ask the gun owners to do the same.

Like I said, how crazy would it sound if a lobby was formed for more rights for DUI drivers?

[/QUOTE]

This is where I have issue with new gun laws....will the time and money it takes to create these new laws even make a difference? How many times have you picked up a paper and read the headline that so and so was arrested for an eigth, ninth DUI? I am not making light of a tragic situation, all I am trying to say is ..... will new gun laws prevent someone that is set on killing, from killing? 

Something has to change, but I'm afraid people think by changing these laws the killings will stop. They won't. And we'll all be around the round table once again. 

[/QUOTE]
     A little thing called Melanie's Law will do away with those 8th or 9th offenses eventually.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[/QUOTE]

If you believe 25,000 gun laws are not working maybe the problem lies in the enforcement.

Are the fast and furious guns exempt?

[/QUOTE]

25,000?  The number was made up by Skeeter.  He read it "somewhere".  Sure he did.  But like a lemming you follow his lead.

22. This post has been removed.