Dem Governor overrules law

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Dem Governor overrules law

For me the most disturbing part is the crime he was convicted for was in 1993. Twenty fcuking years ago....why is this still an issue? He should alread be 6ft under.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Killing people to show that killing people is wrong simply makes no sense to me.

We say we're an evolved society. We should act like one. Murder is wrong, no matter who carries it out. It's time to get rid of the death penalty, and not only because we've executed many innocent people, but because it's the right thing to do.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Killing people to show that killing people is wrong simply makes no sense to me.

We say we're an evolved society. We should act like one. Murder is wrong, no matter who carries it out. It's time to get rid of the death penalty, and not only because we've executed many innocent people, but because it's the right thing to do.

"People who murder are not acting in the best interest of society whereas the execution of dangerous criminals is in our best interest."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I actually have a great deal of respect for your position, however, the big issue here is not the morality of the death penalty so much as the morality of a governor acting above the law and ruling by decree. This way lies tyranny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I actually have a great deal of respect for your position, however, the big issue here is not the morality of the death penalty so much as the morality of a governor acting above the law and ruling by decree. This way lies tyranny.

Well....He's acting within his authority.

And a country that has regular elections at all levels of government is one doesn't have tyranny. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Well....He's acting within his authority.

No, he isn't. Based on this article there is no statute that allows him to do what he did.

And a country that has regular elections at all levels of government is one doesn't have tyranny.

It happens all the time, historically it is very common. Germany held regular elections until Hitler became chancellor and began consolidating his power.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The article states the Gov's action was "extrordinary" not illegal.

ACC: As a Governor (or any elected executive) you can either follow the laws as enacted by the legislature or not. If not, what you are doing is illegal. QED.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I agree.  I am no fan of the death penalty, as it puts power into the hands of governemnt that I would rather not be there.  however, it is the law of the land (in Colo) so it needsto be respected by government.  Hickenlooper has acted out of personal prejudice, not law.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Think they got it the first time you posted it

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

I dont think the Colorado Governor overruled the law. Almost all states give discretion to the Governor to grant such reprieves. If you have watched old Jimmy Cagnet  movies, the Governor always had the power to stop executions!

The majority of voters say they support the death penalty, yet they keep electing Democrats who either oppose the death penalty or dance around the issue! This is not surprising that Dem Governors stop executions...

Even GOP Governors have done so...Republican Governor of Illinois George Ryan received worldwide attention for his 1999 moratorium on executions in Illinois and for commuting more than 160 death sentences to life sentences in 2003.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

I dont think the Colorado Governor overruled the law. Almost all states give discretion to the Governor to grant such reprieves. If you have watched old Jimmy Cagnet  movies, the Governor always had the power to stop executions!

The majority of voters say they support the death penalty, yet they keep electing Democrats who either oppose the death penalty or dance around the issue! This is not surprising...

Yes...We sure do love our biblical justice here. 

We have great company.

Death Penalty Permitted

• Afghanistan
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Bahamas
    • Bahrain
    • Bangladesh
    • Barbados
    • Belarus
    • Belize
    • Botswana
    • Chad
    • China (People's Republic)
    • Comoros
    • Congo (Democratic Republic)
    • Cuba
    • Dominica
    • Egypt
    • Equatorial Guinea
    • Ethiopia
    • Guatemala
    • Guinea
    • Guyana
    • India
    • Indonesia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Jamaica
    • Japan
    • Jordan
    • Kuwait
    • Lebanon
    • Lesotho
    • Libya
    • Malaysia
    • Mongolia
    • Nigeria
    • North Korea
    • Oman
    • Pakistan
    • Palestinian Authority
    • Qatar
    • St. Kitts and Nevis
    • St. Lucia
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Singapore
    • Somalia
    • South Sudan
    • Sudan
    • Syria
    • Taiwan
    • Thailand
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Uganda
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United States
    • Vietnam
    • Yemen
    • Zimbabwe

Read more: The Death Penalty Worldwide | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html#ixzz2U8mqURut

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I'm sure he's got a point..what it is is anyone's guess

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The governor shall have power to grant reprieves, commutations and pardons after conviction, for all offenses except treason, and except in case of impeachment, subject to such regulations as may be prescribed by law relative to the manner of applying for pardons, but he shall in every case where he may exercise this power, send to the general assembly at its first session thereafter, a transcript of the petition, all proceedings, and the reasons for his action.

Where does it say that the Governor is allowed to grant a temporary reprieve?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Faced with a decision to allow the execution of killer Nathan Dunlap or grant him clemency, Gov. John Hickenlooper chose to do neither. Instead, he granted an extraordinary "temporary reprieve" that likely means Dunlap won't face execution as long as Hickenlooper is governor.

Then why was this "temporary reprieve" extraordinary?

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts