Democrat goes full Akin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Democrat goes full Akin

http://www.ibtimes.com/colorado-college-advises-vomiting-or-urinating-stop-rapists-after-lawmakers-pass-gun-control-bills

“It’s why we have call boxes, it’s why we have safe zones, it’s why we have the whistles," Salazar said, according to KDVR News. "Because you just don’t know who you’re gonna be shooting at. And you don’t know if you feel like you’re gonna be raped, or if you feel like someone’s been following you around or if you feel like you’re in trouble when you may actually not be, that you pop out that gun and you pop -- pop a round at somebody.”

Yes, you read that right. He's saying that women are not responsible enough to carry a gun. Why, who knows who might get shot by some over-emotional, frightened and weak woman if we were so stupid as to allow them to exercise their constitutional right to defend themselves with a weapon.

Oh, and read the whole thing for his suggestions on how women could prevent themselves from getting raped. They would be laugh out funny if they weren't so pathetic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Democrat goes full Akin

For starters, the democrat state rep didn't provide the tips for preventing a rape.  The university public safety office listed them, so your thread title is moronic (big surprise).

The state rep commented on the law to ban guns on campus.  As I see it, the guy is right.  More guns on campus means more gun incidents.  Its simple arithmatic.

How about this rule?  No legislature should be able to pass a law allowing guns in campus classrooms until it first passes a law allowing guns to be carried into the observation gallery of their own legislature. Sounds fair to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

You're ingoring Salazar's insinuation that women are not responsible enough to defend themselves with a firearm.

One in five women report being raped in college (and how many go unreported?) It seems to me that the current plan is failing miserably. I'm going to have my daughter learn how to use a firearm safely to protect herself. You go ahead and teach yours to vomit and urinate, let's see how far that gets you.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

For starters, the democrat state rep didn't provide the tips for preventing a rape.  The university public safety office listed them, so your thread title is moronic (big surprise).

The state rep commented on the law to ban guns on campus.  As I see it, the guy is right.  More guns on campus means more gun incidents.  Its simple arithmatic.

How about this rule?  No legislature should be able to pass a law allowing guns in campus classrooms until it first passes a law allowing guns to be carried into the observation gallery of their own legislature. Sounds fair to me.

Sounds fair to me too

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

In response to UserName99's comment:

Sounds fair to me too

NH allows this as well as allowing the Legislators to pack on the floor.  A number of Dem leaning towns have banned shcool trips to teh capital due to this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Seriously, you're not sure that he was talking about women? He talks about it later in the piece:

“I’m sorry if I offended anyone. That was absolutely not my intention,” Salazar said, according to KDVR News. “We were having a public policy debate on whether or not guns makes people safer on campus. I don’t believe they do. That was the point I was trying to make. If anyone thinks I’m not sensitive to the dangers women face, they’re wrong. I am a husband and father of two beautiful girls, and I’ve spent the last decade defending women’s rights as a civil rights attorney. Again, I’m deeply sorry if I offended anyone with my comments.”

OF course he was talking about women.  Men are not commonly raped in the normal course of going to college or even living a normal life. Women are. As I previously noted, 1 in 5 college women report that they have been raped. My guess is that no amount of stern talking to's, or urinating or vomiting is really going to change that.

Also, it's instructive to note that when candidate Akin said the incredibly stupid things that he said most conservatives were both disgusted by and disappointed in Akin (including me.) As usual, when a Democrat steps in it the libruls circle the wagon and find the most ridiculous arguments to defend said Democrat ("Funny I don't even see the word 'woman' in the blurb.")

Yes, I know, this willingness to disregard any semblance of ethics or rationality to support your cause probably helps win elections but I don't care. I'd rather keep my self respect than win an election any day.

And I rather keep a woman from getting raped than pretend that a weapon would somehow not help to protect her.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

As usual, when a Democrat steps in it the libruls circle the wagon and find the most ridiculous arguments to defend said Democrat ("Funny I don't even see the word 'woman' in the blurb.")

Yeah. I guess libruls don't have magical mind reading powers of the sort that allows a person to determine that "act of terror" does not mean "terrorist attack" when it's necessary to attack a D, and to hear words that weren't uttered when it's necessary to attack a D?

Like I said:

In response to Salazar's comment:

you don’t know if you feel like you’re gonna be raped

You think only women can be raped? 

you feel like someone’s been following you around

You think only women might "feel like someone's been following you"? 

you feel like you’re in trouble when you may actually not be
    You think only women might "feel like you're in trouble when they may not be"? 

If so I'm not sure Salazar's the one whose views of women are troubling....

Noboby thought you would have a problem with him since he's a member the party that aligns with your religion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

Apparently the guy felt the need to apologize.

I personally don't see it, but it's his call.

Of course you dont see it. You are politically blind!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Yeah. I guess libruls don't have magical mind reading powers of the sort that allows a person to determine that "act of terror" does not mean "terrorist attack" when it's necessary to attack a D, and to hear words that weren't uttered when it's necessary to attack a D?

And yet libruls all knew with certainty that Bush Lied© about WMD. I guess they only have magical mind reading powers when it come to Republicans, eh?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Todd Akin said that a woman's body shuts down and prevents pregnancy if she is "legitimately" raped.

Salazar said that there is danger of a deadly misunderstanding if a woman carries a gun for protection in public.

Regardless of ideology, you should find one of these statements reasonable, and the other absurd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

slomag, I find them both absurd. No responsible rational person (man or woman) is going to "pop out that gun and you pop -- pop a round at somebody.”

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Liberals all thought that?

They almost unamimously professed that belief, yes. And a whole herd of them also thought that Bush/Cheney were behind 9/11. I'll betcha that there's a bunch right now right here in river city that would happily prove me right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

slomag, I find them both absurd. No responsible rational person (man or woman) is going to "pop out that gun and you pop -- pop a round at somebody.”

Maybe you find the way he phrased it absurd, but you can glean the underlying point, that carrying a firearm for protection can lead to over-reaction and unintended consequences.

If you compared Salazar to Richard Mourdock, I'd be OK with it - I think they were both making legitimate points inartfully.

But Akin is a whole different animal - the man thought there were biological defenses that prevent pregnancy when raped.  He sat on the House Science committee.  I think both sides of the aisle should be proud that Missouri did not let this guy represent them in the Senate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Maybe you find the way he phrased it absurd, but you can glean the underlying point, that carrying a firearm for protection can lead to over-reaction and unintended consequences

Yes, of course, the nuance argument which always seems to apply to Democrats but never to Republicans. I understand his underlying point, wrong as it is, is that "carrying a firearm for protection can lead to over-reaction and unintended consequences." Nevertheless, in trying to make that point he disparaged and marginalized over fifty percent of the population. That's what needs to be called out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Didn't an innocent kid get killed in Florida because an armed do-gooder felt empowered by his weapon and accosted him?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Didn't an innocent kid get killed in Florida because an armed do-gooder felt empowered by his weapon and accosted him?

Yes, but only if you're living in librul community-based reality.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Yes, but only if you're living in librul community-based reality.

Come on - even trained police officers make mistakes in the dark when tensions are high.  It's a legitimate concern.  This is the fatal flaw in the "all we need to stop bad guys with guns is give good guys more guns" argument.  The truth is you need infallible good guys with guns, because mistakes happen - the more bullets and faster the gun shoots, the greater the potential for mistake.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Come on - even trained police officers make mistakes in the dark when tensions are high.  It's a legitimate concern.  This is the fatal flaw in the "all we need to stop bad guys with guns is give good guys more guns" argument.  The truth is you need infallible good guys with guns, because mistakes happen - the more bullets and faster the gun shoots, the greater the potential for mistake.

First off, I want to let you know how much I appreciate how you are able to make your case without needing to belittle the person that you're arguing with. That's pretty rare around here and I just wanted to call that out.

Second, I agree that mistakes can and will be made. Nevertheless, I think that the overall good is served far better when those with ill intent are not sure whether or not they they might encounter armed resistance. That is incredibly important.

Finally, if you apply that logic to other areas of society you can easily see how quickly it falls apart. For example, cars are dangerous. Even well trained drivers can make mistakes under certain conditions (tiredness, bad weather, etc.) Does this mean that we need to restrict motor vehicles to government agents and professional drivers? No, of course not. What we do is try to make sure that everyone granted the privilege to drive a car has a minimum amount of training and hope for the best. That's how we handle granting permission to use a dangerous machine when that particular privilege is not even a constitutionally defined civil right. We can at least do the same for gun ownership.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

[QUTOE]I suppose calling someone unethical and irrational isn't belittling at all...   [/QUOTE]

Touche. On the other hand I was actually referring to the libruls in the crowd that, instead of having an honest discussion of the issues, prefer to yammer on about 47 percent and binders full of women and other absolute stupidities in order to play to the uninformed voter. Or the kind that threatens people with removing air traffic controllers, police and firemen if they have to cut their budget.

You wouldn't know of any of them, would you?

So when I stumble accross a Liberal that actually wants to dicuss issues on a calm, respectful, and rational manner it leaves an impression. Mostly because it's so rare.

Sections
Shortcuts