Democrats and Harry Reid want to scalp Washington Redskins name

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Democrats and Harry Reid want to scalp Washington Redskins name

The Democrats as usual are focusing on critical national issues...NOT.

Just meddling in an issue they have no business in, and know little about. But gives Dingy Harry an excuse to throw out the race card, dividing us as usual......

Reid, again calling the team’s name racist noted there are 27 Native American tribes in his state and added that the issue was “extremely important” to the Native American population across the country and praised his colleague, Washington Democratic Sen. Maria Cantwell who he called a leader on the issue for her efforts in calling for the team’s name to change.

"“The name will change and justice will be done for the tribes in Nevada and across the nation,” Reid said.

Political correctness run amuck, as usual.....absurd. The name was originally selected as a tribute to Amercian Indians..

Most American Indians other than the zealous leftie activists who have made a living suing for 30 years, could care less....many sports nicknames are about ethnicity....Indians, Braves, Celtics, Canucks, Blackhawks, Canadiens, Yankees., Vikings..  

Dan Snyder the Redskins owner, is holding out against the name change. Seems, though, that if the name is changed, he would benefit from increased sales.... many would no doubt double down and still wear gear with the old name,  so sales of Redskins gear would rise...and gear with the new name would sell as well...

(the new name may well be the "Red Storm" the name of a real Native American)

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/harry-reid-washington-redskins-name-dan-snyder-107999.html#ixzz351rL8uhJ" rel="nofollow">http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/harry-reid-washington-redskins-name-dan-snyder-107999.html#ixzz351rL8uhJ

twitter:

Changing Redskins to "Washington Department of Football" respects the team's tradition of being forced to do the right thing by government....

The Washington "Unilateral Executive Actions Taken In A Desperate Effort To Prop Up A Dying System Of Government"

"Washington Red Line Delays"  (DC has a Red Line and Blue Line just like the MBTA!)

Washington  "MAJOR METRO MULTI - ETHNICS"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Democrats and Harry Reid want to scalp Washington Redskins name

CLC sees no difference between Blackhawks and Redskins.  Would you call a Native American a Redskin to his face?  Go to  a place loaded with Native Americans and start referring to them as Redskins.  See his long you last.

I wonder how quickly Snyder would have changed the name had it been the Jewish equivalent of Redskin?  In any event, Snyder is missing out on a huge opportunity to make a ton of money.  If he announced a name change, there'd be a huge run on jerseys and Tshirts.  And as soon as the new stuff came out, people would flock to buy it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Crankup are you going to be on the wrong side of history again ...... btw did the NRA gnash their teeth when the the Bullets changed their name to the Wizards

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Only a matter of time before they do it. Should have done it a long time ago. 

The problem I have is that the government is going way overboard to use its regulatory power to do this. If they can take Dan Snyder's property because they don't like Redskins, what is to stop them from making up some other thing they don't like and going after that?

The Washington Bullets were not deprived of their personal property in an effort to coerce them to change their name. Do you get the difference Sistah?

And exactly what will be achieved by this? The team can keep the name. And now others can take the name too. 

Backdoor censorship.

I am hoping Snyder does something to f them up.

I can see it now Redskin Condoms...Redskin Hots....Redskin Tanning Lounge

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

He should rename to Washington Warriors. Perfectly fine name while also giving a bit of a f you to those, who after all 80 years, suddenly have an issue with the name. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Time to buy up Redskin gear to later sell on Ebay.

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Conversely, it seems repubs are big fans/boosters of skin color-related terms for minority americans...

...as if we didn't already know.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Can anyone tell me one time in their lifetime when they ever heard someone use 'redskins' is a derogatory manner? Anyone ever heard someone say "Yo my redskins"? Anytime anyone said the word 'Redskins' other than to refer to the team Washington Redskins? Anyone??? In my 47 years on this planet not once have I ever heard the term 'redskins' other than to refer to who the Pats were playing on a given weekend. Enough with the faux outrage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can anyone tell me one time in their lifetime when they ever heard someone use 'redskins' is a derogatory manner? Anyone ever heard someone say "Yo my redskins"? Anytime anyone said the word 'Redskins' other than to refer to the team Washington Redskins? Anyone??? In my 47 years on this planet not once have I ever heard the term 'redskins' other than to refer to who the Pats were playing on a given weekend. Enough with the faux outrage.

[/QUOTE]

The NFL team in Washington was not the only sports team named "Redskins", i.e. Miami (Ohio) University.  The others all changed.  Why can't Snyder's team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Change the name, don't change the name. As mentioned, to me that's not the point. It's the Federal Government getting involved, first the Patten Office, what's next the FCC or dare I say the IRS (watch out Snyder). Harry's got his hands on this and he is tightening the screws using his Big Government power. Biggest piece of cr#p in the Senate!   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

The NFL team in Washington was not the only sports team named "Redskins", i.e. Miami (Ohio) University.  The others all changed.  Why can't Snyder's team.

[/QUOTE]

Ah...so because others caved to the PC crowd so should Snyder? Got it....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to newman09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Change the name, don't change the name. As mentioned, to me that's not the point. It's the Federal Government getting involved, first the Patten Office, what's next the FCC or dare I say the IRS (watch out Snyder). Harry's got his hands on this and he is tightening the screws using his Big Government power. Biggest piece of cr#p in the Senate!   

[/QUOTE]

Funny how there are certain people who are ok with this...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"PC Crowd"?  Or "Ancestors of Native Americans who just happen to take offense"?

It shouldn't matter to whom or how they "cave".  This name/slur/impolitic term is simply not a principle worth standing upon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

How about the "Washington Minority"? It's got that double meaning thing going.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"PC Crowd"?  Or "Ancestors of Native Americans who just happen to take offense"?

It shouldn't matter to whom or how they "cave".  This name/slur/impolitic term is simply not a principle worth standing upon.

[/QUOTE]

PC crowd, yes. And also SOME ancestors of Native American's who just happen to take offense after decades of the team name being 'Redskins'. Please....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Anyone ever heard someone say "Yo my redskins"? Anytime anyone said the word 'Redskins' other than to refer to the team Washington Redskins?[/QUOTE]

No. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PC crowd, yes. And also SOME ancestors of Native American's who just happen to take offense after decades of the team name being 'Redskins'. Please....

[/QUOTE]

Whether it's some or all of the successors doesn't matter.

Why should younger generations tolerate something just because their forebears didn't (or couldn't) speak up.

And given the treatment of native americans throughout our history, they deserve the benefit of the doubt (on this least of all).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I just learned that the NFL has Tax Exempt status.  The Federal Government allows the owners to not pay taxes.  That means WE the American people are subsidizing the NFL. 

Because they have Tax Exempt status, I think that gives the Federal Government a voice in how the league is conducted.  I think it is completely appropriate for the Federal Government to tell Snyder to change the name of the team.

If Snyder and the rest of the owners don't want the Federal Government to have a say in how they do business, they should give up their Tax Exempt Status.

I for one do not want to subsidize what I consider racism.  Either change the name or pay taxes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

[QUOTE]

Wait - is the government actually doing anything about this?

All I got from the OP is that Reid was running his mouth again, this time about the team's name, and that another democrat was doing the same. Sounds to me like they are just pandering to the seemingly newly arisen public fervor over the name.

[/QUOTE]

The Patent Office revoked the patents on the name.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's hilarious .... so I guess some 'ancestors' of blacks or jews have no right to be offended by old slurs ... heck some of those slurs have been around more than a few decades.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

In response to high-road's comment:

The Patent Office revoked the patents on the name.

A patent on a name?

Sorry, the Patent Office revoked the trademark.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/redskins-trademarked-revoked-article-1.1834245

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

Reid may be politiciking but there may be some people genuinely offended by the term, and it would make sense for them to speak up once it is in the media.

As a general matter, it also seems a bit off when a bunch of white dudes say to a minority "no, you shouldn't be offended when we refer to your class with this word..."

[/QUOTE]

Also seems a bit off when a bunch of white dudes say they are offended by the word 'Redskins'

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why should younger generations tolerate something just because their forebears didn't (or couldn't) speak up.

And given the treatment of native americans throughout our history, they deserve the benefit of the doubt (on this least of all).

[/QUOTE]

My issue is why is the word all of a sudden so offensive? The team has been named 'Redskins' for DECADES and suddenly NOW it's offensive?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to high-road's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's hilarious .... so I guess some 'ancestors' of blacks or jews have no right to be offended by old slurs ... heck some of those slurs have been around more than a few decades.

[/QUOTE]

Except that blacks and Jews have been offended by the slurs all along. Black people didn't just suddenly become offended by the N word. That's the difference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My issue is why is the word all of a sudden so offensive? The team has been named 'Redskins' for DECADES and suddenly NOW it's offensive?

[/QUOTE]

This fight to change the name has been going on for decades.

A previous revoking of the team's trademark in 1992 was locked up in the legal system until 1999 on appeal. A group of Native Americans brought the original suit.

“The R-word is a dictionary defined slur designed to demean and dehumanize an entire group of people," Ray Halbritter told The Associated Press in January.

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.”

In the 2-1 ruling, the board said that “the recognition that this racial designation based on skin color is disparaging to Native Americans” is demonstrated “by the near complete dropoff in usage of ‘redskins’ as a reference to Native Americans beginning in the 1960s.”

Sections
Shortcuts