Detroit in ruins; the result of liberal policies!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Detroit in ruins; the result of liberal policies!

In response to tvoter's comment:

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Lansing to Detroit is akin to a burrough of NYC? Really?

Last time I was there it was 50 miles or so from Detroit to Lansing. That's one heck of a stretch for you to try and make a point.

My bad. Lansing is NOT a suburb of Detroit like Ann Arbor and Dearborn are considered.

touche

Ann Arbor is also an hour away.

Dearborn is right next door, however.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

As I said, the reasons for Detroit's malaise are varied and many, and no single party is innocent.

I like that when it can be blamed on a Republican it's obvious what the problem is but if it could be blamed on corrupt liberal policies suddenly the causes for the decline are nuanced and complex.

That's because it can't be blamed solely on "corrupt liberal policies" (whatever those are).

Keep on with that false equivalency, though.  Looks great on you....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

As I said, the reasons for Detroit's malaise are varied and many, and no single party is innocent.

I like that when it can be blamed on a Republican it's obvious what the problem is but if it could be blamed on corrupt liberal policies suddenly the causes for the decline are nuanced and complex.

That's because it can'tbe blamed solely on "corrupt liberal policies" (whatever those are).

The truth will set you free!

The Ann Arbor Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) includes all of Washtenaw County, which had a population of 344,791 as of 2010. The city is also part of the larger Detroit – Ann Arbor – Flint, MI CSA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Ideologues like simple answers to complex problems.  Righties do this all the time... Obama has been blamed for virtually everything bad to happen to the country.  However, when you see a lefty engage in that kind of behavior, be sure to chime in.  But wait until they do.  Of course you could always agree that a nuanced approach is appropriate in all cases... but then you would have to take on a fellow traveler... Can't do that...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

Ideologues like simple answers to complex problems.  Righties do this all the time... Obama has been blamed for virtually everything bad to happen to the country.  However, when you see a lefty engage in that kind of behavior, be sure to chime in.  But wait until they do.  Of course you could always agree that a nuanced approach is appropriate in all cases... but then you would have to take on a fellow traveler... Can't do that...

I do not blame it all on liberal policies. I blame some on unions and the influence they had on politics.

I also blame ALL politicians of the last 40 years who did nothing to successfully stop it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That's because it can'tbe blamed solely on "corrupt liberal policies" (whatever those are).

The truth will set you free!

The Ann Arbor Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) includes all of Washtenaw County, which had a population of 344,791 as of 2010. The city is also part of the larger Detroit – Ann Arbor – Flint, MI CSA.

I didn't argue that point, but whatever...

I only know from experience that it takes roughly the same amount of time (1 hour) to drive to Ann Arbor from Detroit as it does to Lansing.  I know this from visiting my kin in each city at least since I could walk.

Re: CSAs...Boston's CSA incorporates part of NH and all of RI, so there's that.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I do not blame it all on liberal policies. I blame some on unions and the influence they had on politics.

I also blame ALL politicians of the last 40 years who did nothing to successfully stop it!

Well, there's also two great migrations, manufacturing job outsourcing, the decline of the steel industry, 80s-era loan and merger deregulation, white flight, poverty, drug policy, et al.

As I said, "varied and many" are the causes....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Then maybe you should clarify your thread title.

Oops...too late.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

Oops...too late.

LOL I blame liberal policies; I also blame the other ideologies for the inablility to stop the liberal policies for 40 years!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Oops...too late.

LOL I blame liberal policies; I also blame the other ideologies for the inablility to stop the liberal policies for 40 years!

So, there were no "conservative policies" at work here...?  Ever...?

I know people like you want to blame liberals for every urban-sized ailment, but it just doesn't work that way and is a-historical, to boot.

Why don't you smell some of what you're shovelin'...?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

No. Politicians who call themselves "conservatives" but, are not? absolutely!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

No. Politicians who call themselves "conservatives" but, are not? absolutely!

You seem to think that conservative policies always work, and liberal policies are always faulty.

Even a partisan knows this not to be true.

You guys can't just say a conservative isn't conservative merely because their solution failed.  It just doesn't hold water.

The fact is that both civic liberal policies and statewide conservative policies helped to decimate the population of Detroit.  Smaller population means a smaller city, except the borders of Detroit (over 140 sq. miles) didn't shrink.  Hence blight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

You seem to think that conservative policies always work, and liberal policies are always faulty.

You guys can't just say a conservative isn't conservative merely because their solution failed.  It just doesn't hold water.

The fact is that both civic liberal policies and statewide conservative policies helped to decimate the population of Detroit.  Smaller population means a smaller city, except the borders of Detroit (over 140 sq. miles) didn't shrink.  Hence blight. 

What I am saying is that true conservative fiscal policies are better than liberal fiscal policies.

And if true conservative fiscal policies would have been used (lower corporate taxes, smaller govt and less govt programs, individual responsibilities, a hand up not a hand out type ideologies that put limits govt dependency and social programs and a limit in the unions dicating to business this would not have happened.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

What I am saying is that true conservative fiscal policies are better than liberal fiscal policies.

And if true conservative fiscal policies would have been used (lower corporate taxes, smaller govt and less govt programs, individual responsibilities, a hand up not a hand out type ideologies that put limits govt dependency and social programs and a limit in the unions dicating to business this would not have happened.

But again, the problems were not just fiscal policies, there were social policies afoot that also hurt the city...some mandated from on high in Lansing.

And it's way too glib of you to imagine an alternate history of Detroit based purely on an obscure notion of "conservative fiscal policies."  It's a fantasy with very little basis in reality.

Or maybe you should read a little history of the area to know what you're talking about.  My grandfather worked as a rep for the auto companies for 40 years.  Killed him at 62, in fact.  My great-uncle and great-granddad were corporate lawyers for the Ford family on St. Clair Shores, among others.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

But again, the problems were not just fiscal policies, there were social policies afoot that also hurt the city...some mandated from on high in Lansing.

And it's way too glib of you to imagine an alternate history of Detroit based purely on an obscure notion of "conservative fiscal policies."  It's a fantasy with very little basis in reality.

Or maybe you should read a little history of the area to know what you're talking about.  My grandfather worked as a rep for the auto companies for 50 years.  Killed him at 62, in fact.  My great-uncle and great-granddad were corporate lawyers for the Ford family on St. Clair Shores, among others.  

Maybe that's your problem, too close and connected so, you can't see the forest for the trees.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

That's because it can'tbe blamed solely on "corrupt liberal policies" (whatever those are)

Certainly there were some economic factors but that doesn't explain the

depths of the Detroit failure.

Here's a compendium of Detroit corruption.

See if you can find a conservative in there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/detroit-corruption

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

That's because it can'tbe blamed solely on "corrupt liberal policies" (whatever those are) 

[/QUOTE]

The left will still defend their party.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Well, there's also two great migrations, manufacturing job outsourcing, the decline of the steel industry, 80s-era loan and merger deregulation, white flight, poverty, drug policy, et al.

What casued the migrations?

Why does Detroit seem to sit there and just rot vs. get on with it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Or maybe you should read a little history of the area to know what you're talking about.  My grandfather worked as a rep for the auto companies for 50 years.  Killed him at 62, in fact.  My great-uncle and great-granddad were corporate lawyers for the Ford family on St. Clair Shores, among others.  

Maybe that's your problem, too close and connected so, you can't see the forest for the trees.

On the contrary, I can see it just fine.  I have perspectives from both the rich suburbs like Grosse Pointe to the more working-class areas of Dearborn and Lincoln Park.  My FIL worked for 30 years on the line at Ford's Dearborn plant, while his father worked in the salt mines.  I still have family in the area and visit frequently.  And as I said, I explored the area extensively when I was younger.

You just can't reduce the problems Detroit has experienced to a few lines or even a few politicians or scandals.  The reasons are much deeper than you realize, so maybe you should just admit what you don't know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The left will still defend their party.

Criminy.  I'm not defending a party.  You are.  

I'm merely disputing your wrongheaded, cliff notes version of what you think you know about Detroit.  You've shown you don't really know jack, and all the photos of urban decay won't help you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Check your U.S. History.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Check your U.S. History.

I was asking you, because you claim to be close to the situation.

Sections
Shortcuts