Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

By Robert Wright
    Mar 3 2012
    When a 43-year-old man dies of an apparent heart attack, you look for something extraordinary that might explain it. In Andrew Breitbart's case, you don't have to look far.

One of the personality traits correlated with heart trouble is hostility. Redford B. Williams, who did the pioneering work on this several decades ago, found that men with a hostile disposition are more likely to develop irregular heartbeats and die before they reach 50.

I didn't know Andrew Breitbart, but, judging by his work, hostility was no stranger to him. David Frum wrote in an acute post-mortem appraisal, "He delighted in the enraged outburst, the shouted insult, the videotaped jab of a finger into an opponent's chest." Frum explains Breitbart's "intense focus" on President Obama this way: "only by hating a particular political man could Breitbart bring any order to his fundamentally apolitical emotions."

We can put a finer point on this. Williams used as his gauge for hostility the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Interview--specifically, a subset of 50 questions known as the "hostility subscale". And as Williams has pointed out, some of these questions capture a part of a person's makeup that goes beyond hostility in the broad sense; they measure a kind of cynicism--"a contemptuous distrust of human nature and motives," as Williams put it.

In other words, these questions measure the kind of inclination that could lead you to see pervasive and calculated media bias. Dave Weigel recently recalled a phone conversation with Breitbart during the Journolist controversy. He remembered Breitbart saying, "The collusion. All of these reporters agreeing on how to cover a story so it didn't hurt Obama. It's disgusting. It's the corruption of the media. It's corrupt. This is corrupt. This is corruption." Too much of that could be bad for a person's heart.    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/did-andrew-breitbart-die-of-hostility/253937/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility?

In Response to Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility?:
    No, no, no it was an Obama conspiracy, at least according to these wingnuts. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/people-who-think-president-obama-killed-andrew-bre
    Posted by airborne-rgr

Funny stuff, airborne! The republicans are a bunch of crazy wingnuts. Heheheheh...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Yeah, you got me. I'm such a big hypocrite "wingnut".... 
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Nah, you are not a wingnut and I'm not sure if you are a hypocrite. Just wanted to point out to you the type of things that Breirbart said about others, even when they were deceased.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Don't know much about Breitbart but the way he talks about Kennedy, he sounds like he maybe needed a good dooooshing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Yeah, you got me. I'm such a big hypocrite "wingnut".... 

I am trying to follow this new discussion but just a guess, did a post get removed? A post by AlleyCat?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Kennedy let a girl die. He was not half the man Andrew was. Just another God for the Basement brats.
    Posted by chiefhowie

Kennedy has nothing to do with Andrew. Talk about graveyard dancing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility? : andie, Yes, these comments by Breitbart were taken down. I was only pointing out the vicious things that Breitbart had said about a deceased person: Andrew Breitbart never held back when it came to Sen. Edward Kennedy (D.- Mass.), especially when in came to the Chappaquiddick scandal. When news that Kennedy had passed away in 2009, after serving in Congress for almost 50 years, Breitbart took to Twitter to launch a savage attack on Kennedy's memory, beginning his Twitter updates under the title "Rest in Chappaquiddick." "Kennedy is my villain. He took me from left to right during the Thomas hearings." Breitback wrote , before calling him a "duplicitous b&^&%$ ," a " a big @$# mother*@#$er ," and " a special pile of human excrement ." Breitbart incited controversy for his comment on Kennedy. It was exactly what he had had in mind. "If you can't say something nice about a person, then say mean things about them instead," he shrugged
    Posted by AlleyCatBruin

Thank you, AlleyCat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

Ridiculous thread. A friend of mine died from heart failure at the age of 26. Had nothing to do with hostility. Unfortunately these things happen. What is disgusting is the grave dancing going on by SOME of the tolerant, enlightened liberals. And yes, whenever conservatives have done it, it was JUST as disgusting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility? : Looks like it. Don't know why it would dissappear. It was something to the effect that someone on the other side of the political aisle said mean things about dead people, at some other time, and I failed to register my "so what"

Thank you.  You had no obligation to register a "so what". And for what it is worth,
    IMO, you are one of the strongest posters in the forums.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Kennedy let a girl die. He was not half the man Andrew was. Just another God for the Basement brats.
    Posted by chiefhowie

Okay,this was esp. hard for you to forget. But now you have posted the same exact cartoon twice. Enough is enough. 

Even those of us who were not fond of Andrew posted R.I.P.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

In response to "Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility?":
    In Response to Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility? : Okay,this was esp. hard for you to forget. But now you have posted the same exact cartoon twice. Enough is enough.  Even those of us who were not fond of Andrew posted R.I.P. Posted by andiejen
    Haha...the old "it's ok that I insulted the deceased since I said R.I.P.'"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Posted by chiefhowie

"If you can't say something nice about a person, then say mean things about them instead," he shrugged. -- Nuff said by your hero Brietbart, Chiefhowie. Navy guys are such wimps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In Response to Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility? : Thank you, AlleyCat.
    Posted by andiejen

You are welcome:)..........

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In Response to Re: Did Andrew Breitbart Die of Hostility? : I did not post twice , got someone messing around.
    Posted by chiefhowie

Okay. Some weird things have been happening on BDC as of late. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Hostility is on both sides.....Bill Maher, Chris Mathews, Obama, Rachel Madcow (that was hostile, sorry) Reverand Al, Keith Olberman....

How about Wasserman Schultz, Barabara Boxer and Maxine Waters???

I didn't know Breitbart personally but the libby's sure hated him for simply having opinions different than theirs.....

Generally speaking liberals are the most intolerant people on the planet....just try to wear a Santa hat to school in Newton in December!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

No, he died of a heart condition.

You, on the other hand, are very lucky that ignorance isn't a fatal disease.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Breitbart lives on...he found old videos of Obama as a radical at Harvard in the 1990s, and is releasing them posthumously... finally the guy gets vetted...

Libs claimed Newt's divorces in the 1980s were very relevant...and Mitt putting a dog on his car roof in 1983 is relevant...
    No doubt these videos will be considered irrelevant by the lamestream media.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Nothing short of an appearance on Bill Ayers video, "How to Bomb the Pentagon"
    would make any difference to the Obama-poodle media....

Sections
Shortcuts