Did "three million fewer republicans...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Did "three million fewer republicans...

...vote in 2012 than voted for Sen. McCain in 2008"?

WBUR's "Radio Boston" just had Mr. Tisei and Mr. Aylward, Vice President of the Massachusetts Republican Assembly, hashing over why Mr. Tisei and Sen. Brown lost.  The rest of the conversation was the same back and forth we're hearing both here and from republican pundits, Mr. Tisei arguing for a more moderate republican party and Mr. Aylward saying that the party wasn't conservative enough.  The 3 million fewer comment was the last thing Mr. Aylward said, and it deserved more attention to sort out exactly what he meant.  But first, was it true?  It's a material number.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Did

I have actually heard this as well...

I think in general that the GOP liked McCain a whole lot more than they liked Romney. Romney was always too moderate for them.

The democrats and the Obama campaign simply had a better ground game. Rather than trying to make it harder for citizens to exercise their right to vote..the dems and Obama launched a very effective get out the vote effort. This is why they won.

Tisei and Brown really didn't stand a chance considering the large number of dems who turned out this time around.

It actually makes me sick to my stomach that a someone like Tierney was re-elected. The lesson in that is we need more competitive primaries...and that the GOP brand was so damaged this time around that people would rather send someone like Tierney back to office than to trust a republican. The GOP sure has a lot of work to do...btw..wasn't there a 3rd party candidate in that race?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Here actually at :05:00, and at the end...

http://soundcloud.com/radioboston/the-future-of-new-england

or

http://radioboston.wbur.org/2012/11/13/new-england-republicans

He says that 3 million fewer republicans came out for Mr. Romney, not 3 million less voters.  I wasn't certain I'd heard that right, the first time.

We've heard - before and since the election - about the diminished enthusiasm factor for the president, and how he got fewer votes than in 2008, and how the raw vote margin was smaller, but this was the first (and second) time that I've heard this.  Maybe it's not a number that the sales forces of Murdoch&Ailes and the EIB network want out there, but republicans sure are stewing about it among themselves.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I think in general that the GOP liked McCain a whole lot more than they liked Romney.

I guess that's the big surprise, and counter to one of the basic tenets of the republican campaign and post-game.  How big hasn't been quantified until now.  (As to credibility, it's an operative who is citing it -- another surprise.)

The "15-20% turnout of registered republicans" during the primaries was a number that kept coming back, and I wondered how that would factor into the pollsters' "weighting game" - and actual outcome - as Mr. Romney's campaign and pet pollsters kept saying that the others were overly weighting democrats.

Sections
Shortcuts