Did you like Sarah Palin's convention speech?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yourkuli. Show yourkuli's posts

[Quote]yourkull:

People in Boston more educated than anywhere else in the country?
    Based on what? A debate that you see one side as brilliant and the other is not?

I assume you are from Germany. Didn't the intelligent people of Berlin follow a misguided ruler this last century? (and no, that's not a comparison of anyone to 'he-who-must-not-be-named')

For the record - energy isn't the only issue. Please take no offense to this.[/Quote]

No offense taken, Sir.
    Based on what most people associate Boston with around the country. Boston=edu, smart, progressive people. Might have been stereotyping a little bit, but who doesn't.
    The not-to-be-named leader has more than just Berlin behind him, and there where idiots and morons before and after him. I certainly didn't elect any of them. The point about making mistakes (no matter how big they were/are *hint*) is that people need to learn from them and move on.
    Didn't mean to imply I am German, I just like to take different perspectives and offer new angles. And from what I have read this discussion needed like it needed a fresh one, there are too many insults flying back and forth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalbs. Show jalbs's posts

[Quote]Palin hit it out of the park!

As a former Hillary now McCain supporter I was concerned about the choice of the relatively unknown Alaska Governor and the Democratic back chatter and attacks had me concerned, but no more. She was eloquent, personal and human. She connected with the base as a given, she connected with the lunch bucket hard working crowd, she connected with working women and showed that there are no limits, she even co-opted the Dems human services niche with her statement that special needs individuals have a friend in the White House. She blew the experience issue out of the water by comparing her experience to Obama's weak community activist roll, state senate and 1 year in US Senate before deciding he was ready to run for President. She is a proven reformer, nonconformist republican and represents the new GOP as opposed to Obama who writes great books, but no legislation and who has a history of action as opposed to Obama's 100 plus votes as only present.

She didn't even need to discuss Biden, although she clearly pointed out as a small town mayor she got more votes than Biden did for president. Delaware and Alaska have similar populations and Biden is one of two Senators while Palin has an 80% approval rating as Governor, the Cheif Executive of the State.

I can't want for the VP debate, she's articulate, bright, can speak on her feet (the Hockey Mom pit bull joke, wasn't on the teleprompter) and she can spend a few weeks being briefed on foreign policy in order to hold her own with Biden on foreign policy issues. On the economy she's balanced a budget and returned the states budget to the black from red, something Biden's never done.

I like this new brand of GOP leader, Romney is most likely crushed that this VP may keep Romney away from running for 16 years.
    [/Quote]

She is the antithesis of Hilary Clinton yet now she is your inspiration? How anyone who supported Hilary Clinton can now support Sarah Palin is mind boggling. This is obviously not about the issues with you...it seems to be a popularity contest in your eyes. You and people like you are the reason why this country is in the toilet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]
    Watching that speech last night reminded me of the people I despised in high school. You have the popular prom queen short on substance and all the white baseball cap bullies egging her on. I was bullied by these people because I was a non-athlete, a good student and a short, curly haired Jewish-Asian in a sea of lily white students. In their eyes, I was a geek. These people in high school were popular because they were good looking, shallow and obnoxious and that time was the peak of their lives. 18 years after my high school graduation that mentality no longer served them. Several of them are alchoholics, college drop outs, or divorcees.

While I concede that it is impressive that Palin was able to rally the crowd on hackneyed rhetoric delivered with the affect of 16 year old high school bee-atch, she said next to nothing about her own plans and policies. To cover up her insecurites about her background, she just made fun of Obama's intelligence and achievements to the delight of the lowbrows in the audience. The moral is you can't live your life denigrating those that are perceived as different than you, just so you can look good in a crowd of a**holes. You eventually get what's coming to you. This time around, (I pray) the American people will see through the b.s.
    [/Quote]

LOL! Insert Democratic National Convention into this statement and it would be the same thing.....

I love how the Democraps voters of Mass don't have a brain in their heads....these are the same people that had voted for Kerry and Dukakis when they ran for president.....they are the same dolts that vote for Teddy Kennedy every year.....these are the same people that make the great state of Massachusetts look dumb.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErikV113821. Show ErikV113821's posts

[Quote]dbracamo -- i think you have done a fine job epitomizing the liberal thought process in this country. you are (not your) reactionary and not very bright. also, your (not you're) mastery of the English language is sorely lacking. before you start indiscriminately pounding away at the key board, why don't you take a moment to organize you thoughts so that you at least come across as human. it isn't even possible to have a dialouge with a moron like yourself, because you don't make sense. as long as people like you continue to support obama, then the rest of us can rest assured that he won't win.

i realize that you probably learned how to write from reading the boston globe, so your lack of intelectual integrity or independant thought is easy to understand. however, you should at least *try* to make sense.
    [/Quote]

Wow, if an independent voter wasn't turned off by the empty and slanderous rhetoric we heard last night, reading some of these posts might do the trick. Don't Republicans realize that middle America is turned off when people try to act and talk like they are above them? This is the whole problem with the Republican Party these days and nobody realizes it. I am an Independent but I can't help but feel as if my intelligence is being insulted every time I see a John McCain ad or a Republican give a speech. And now they are trying to bully me into voting for them by telling me that I am not patriotic if I don't vote Republican. And that a war we should have never gotten in is "God's will."? I was laid off earlier this year from a mortgage company and had to go on unemployment for a few months while I looked for another job in a failing industry. But by definition from some of you far right wing nuts I am a deadbeat but I challenge anyone who thinks they work harder than I do at my job and responsibilities. Republicans need to realize that there are intelligent Americans who are not members of the Republican party and until they do they will be irrelevant in my book and probably in the books of many other Independents. Everything is far left or far right these days but with what I'm hearing from the Republicans the far right is a scary, scary place. At least we'll save a few trees if we take the far left...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

I think people are not scared of Palin at all. They are definately afraid of all of the people that are eating what the republicans are feeding them.

To all of you republican supporters, I offer a simple question:

How have we done as a nation over the last 8 years?

If you are honest, you will say that this has been one of the worst times in this nations history.

Next, what party has run this country into the ground over the last 8 years? The republican party!

Fact: McCain has voted with Bush and his party 90% of the time. These would be the policies that have gotten us into this mess.

Fact: Sarah Palin is not more qualified than Obama. Sure she has made executive decisions, however, the state of Alaska has 660k people. Some counites in Mass have more people. Per the republicans her being a Mayor means she is more qualified than McCain. Simply not true.

Fact: McCain is old and the question about him dying in office is valid given his health issues. Question? Why would we then vote for a person without any experience? Here is the only time when NOT being a Washington insider hurts her. Plus she has zero foreign policy experience.

Fact: If Palin (god forbid) became president, she will have the same Bush administration people giving her advice. The same advice that has destroyed our standing in the world.

I could go on, but you can catch my drift....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from truman. Show truman's posts

The speech was well delivered but short on details about what she would do as veep. I want to know about her attempt to BAN BOOKS from the Wasilla library. What books did she want banned?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[Quote]

And Obama has more experience than Lincoln, so the experience thing is a push, but there is no way you can say her experience is any more meaningfull than his. And my comments about Menino and Patrick were not about being electable, but whether you think there experience is enough to be second in command in the whitehouse. I think you would say it is not.

As for the POW, there is a great article here:
    http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,164859,00.html?wh=wh
    3) John was offered, and refused, "early release." Many of us were given this offer. It meant speaking out against your country and lying about your treatment to the press. You had to "admit" that the U.S. was criminal and that our treatment was "lenient and humane." So I, like numerous others, refused the offer. This was obviously something none of us could accept. Besides, we were bound by our service regulations, Geneva Conventions and loyalties to refuse early release until all the POW's were released, with the sick and wounded going first.

I probably overstated that he would have been thrown in Levenworth, but accepting early release would have been completely unacceptable and a slap in the face to any of the 600+ other POW's

* I edited my post as I put in the wrong link[/Quote]

The real issue here is that the DNC needs to defend the experience of Obama against the experience of the GOP VP. Palin does have executive branch experience Vs Obama none. But both experience levels are light.

Problem the DNC ticket is upside down and the GOP ticket is at least in the right order. Both Palin and Obama appear to be very capable party rising stars, but you don't usually vote a rising star in as President.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]I think people are not scared of Palin at all. They are definately afraid of all of the people that are eating what the republicans are feeding them.

To all of you republican supporters, I offer a simple question:

How have we done as a nation over the last 8 years?

If you are honest, you will say that this has been one of the worst times in this nations history.

Next, what party has run this country into the ground over the last 8 years? The republican party!

Fact: McCain has voted with Bush and his party 90% of the time. These would be the policies that have gotten us into this mess.

Fact: Sarah Palin is not more qualified than Obama. Sure she has made executive decisions, however, the state of Alaska has 660k people. Some counites in Mass have more people. Per the republicans her being a Mayor means she is more qualified than McCain. Simply not true.

Fact: McCain is old and the question about him dying in office is valid given his health issues. Question? Why would we then vote for a person without any experience? Here is the only time when NOT being a Washington insider hurts her. Plus she has zero foreign policy experience.

Fact: If Palin (god forbid) became president, she will have the same Bush administration people giving her advice. The same advice that has destroyed our standing in the world.

I could go on, but you can catch my drift....[/Quote]

I see someone who is eating the crap that the Democrats are feeding them.....I hope for your sake, it doesn't taste as bad at is smells....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lassie2k7. Show Lassie2k7's posts

Her speech was fine. She read the teleprompter successfully. If I were an Alaskan, I'd probably vote for her if she ran for governor, but the argument that she's ready to be the #2 in the most powerful country in the world is just asinine.

And sometimes I just don't get American politics. Nothing against "Hockey Moms" whatsoever, but are we really a country where someone can get votes in a campaign for PRESIDENT by saying she's a "Hockey Mom?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from car402. Show car402's posts

This should be interesting to say the least, I think she will be able to hold her own against crabby Biden....can't wait for the debate.

My favorite line....."What does he actually seek to accomplish after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet?"

Who's to say who is going to win....I think it's anybody's game at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from evandj. Show evandj's posts

[Quote][Quote]
    Watching that speech last night reminded me of the people I despised in high school. You have the popular prom queen short on substance and all the white baseball cap bullies egging her on. I was bullied by these people because I was a non-athlete, a good student and a short, curly haired Jewish-Asian in a sea of lily white students. In their eyes, I was a geek. These people in high school were popular because they were good looking, shallow and obnoxious and that time was the peak of their lives. 18 years after my high school graduation that mentality no longer served them. Several of them are alchoholics, college drop outs, or divorcees.

While I concede that it is impressive that Palin was able to rally the crowd on hackneyed rhetoric delivered with the affect of 16 year old high school bee-atch, she said next to nothing about her own plans and policies. To cover up her insecurites about her background, she just made fun of Obama's intelligence and achievements to the delight of the lowbrows in the audience. The moral is you can't live your life denigrating those that are perceived as different than you, just so you can look good in a crowd of a**holes. You eventually get what's coming to you. This time around, (I pray) the American people will see through the b.s.
    [/Quote]

LOL! Insert Democratic National Convention into this statement and it would be the same thing.....

I love how the Democraps voters of Mass don't have a brain in their heads....these are the same people that had voted for Kerry and Dukakis when they ran for president.....they are the same dolts that vote for Teddy Kennedy every year.....these are the same people that make the great state of Massachusetts look dumb.....[/Quote]

I come from a family that voted for Reagan and H.W. Bush because we thought that they were the best candidates at the time. And give some examples of "dumb" in Massachusetts. I think our state was pretty smart in not voting for the current dolt in the White House.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErikV113821. Show ErikV113821's posts

[Quote]

Let's be honest, 95% of people that say they are Independent on this board are stretching the truth. Everyone leads it off by saying they are Independent and then trashes McCain/Palin. Does it make you feel better? Just admit and be proud of what you are! And no, I am not an Independent!

[/Quote]

Thank you for proving my point. The whole point of my post was to give it from an independent stand point. Like I said, the Democrats don't have me jumping in the air for joy but at least they don't continually talk down to me or try to bully me into voting for them. I'm smart enough on my own to figure out that al Queda and bin Laden had nothing to do with the war in Iraq, I'm smart enough to know that just because you have executive experience won't make you a better Commander in Chief (George Bush?), I am smart enough to believe that global warming does, in fact, exist, I am smart enough to know that Barack Obama is not a muslim nor does he "hate America". But these are things that are getting shoved down my throat by Republicans and the far right wing nuts out there. Like I said when the worst you can say (rationally) about a far left wing nut is that they are a weed smoking, peace loving, tree hugging hippie I will take that any day over a hateful insulting war monger. But of course to most Republicans anything out of the realms of their idealisms doesn't count so I will consider my voice irrelevant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErikV113821. Show ErikV113821's posts

[Quote]

Let's be honest, 95% of people that say they are Independent on this board are stretching the truth. Everyone leads it off by saying they are Independent and then trashes McCain/Palin. Does it make you feel better? Just admit and be proud of what you are! And no, I am not an Independent!

[/Quote]

Thank you for proving my point. The whole point of my post was to give it from an independent stand point. Like I said, the Democrats don't have me jumping in the air for joy but at least they don't continually talk down to me or try to bully me into voting for them. I'm smart enough on my own to figure out that al Queda and bin Laden had nothing to do with the war in Iraq, I'm smart enough to know that just because you have executive experience won't make you a better Commander in Chief (George Bush?), I am smart enough to believe that global warming does, in fact, exist, I am smart enough to know that Barack Obama is not a muslim nor does he "hate America". But these are things that are getting shoved down my throat by Republicans and the far right wing nuts out there. Like I said when the worst you can say (rationally) about a far left wing nut is that they are a weed smoking, peace loving, tree hugging hippie I will take that any day over a hateful insulting war monger. But of course to most Republicans anything out of the realms of their idealisms doesn't count so I will consider my voice irrelevant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

[Quote]

I see someone who is eating the crap that the Democrats are feeding them.....I hope for your sake, it doesn't taste as bad at is smells....[/Quote]

I think everything I have written is fact. Nothing fed to me by dems. Its been fed to all of us by the republicans...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from umustbekidding. Show umustbekidding's posts

I could go on, but you can catch my drift....[/Quote]

You BET we catch you're drift. You're a typical MA liberal out of touch MoonBat who can't separate FACTS from Obamas talking point memos. If the NYT/Boston.Com commie weenies hate her then you can be sure the real Americans that decide the election will love her. Thank God!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky99. Show sparky99's posts

Just an Independent voter of parents who wouldn't divulge party affiliation so we would learn to make our own decisions. I prayed for Obama over Hillary as I viewed her as a hypocritical disservice to women and our country. Having said that, I thought Palin's speach was great. She came across as smart, self assured, fiesty, funny, wry, etc. Someone easy to like. No, she doesn't have huge political experience, but neither does Obama for that matter. However, she is not running for President, so her limited experience holds less importance to be than Obama's limited experience.
    I'll keep my Independent status, but this year I'll vote for McCain.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimOrJimmy. Show JimOrJimmy's posts

Can't remember the last time I was disappointed a politician's speech was ending ... she was refreshing, funny, down-to-earth, and no BS - stark contrast to most politicians - looking forward to more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from evandj. Show evandj's posts

I would like to hear facts, maturely stated, as to why they think that Palin offers anything different than the failed policies of our current adminstration.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitkat100. Show kitkat100's posts

To finally put to rest the Alaskan Independence Party nonsense

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/us/politics/04party.html?ref=politics

I'm very disappointed by the amount of vicious attacks on Palin. It's clear that it stems from the sexist attitudes that permeates US culture.

For an objective view about the media's bias see this:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/rasmussen/palinmedia20080904

It's sad that the Democrats, who are supposed to be supporting women, minorities, and the working class - are doing nothing for them. The Democratic party betrayed Hillary, their operatives viciously attack Palin. They support amnesty for illegal immigrants which would be disastrous for America. Billions of tax dollars go to support low income illegal immigrants who pay too little in taxes and don't pay their fair share for education or healthcare. Illegal immigrants take jobs away from US citizens. Black workers at the Miss. electronics plant that was recently raided complained that illegal immigrants were taking jobs that locals could fill. There were 600 suspected illegal immigrants detained in that raid. Multiply that across the country and you can see the deleterious effect that this is having on working class Americans and teenagers who are suffering from increased unemployment during this economic downturn. Obama is for amnesty and would increase H1B visas which would increase job losses for highly skilled Americans. The Republicans are the only ones who are interested in decreasing illegal immigration. The answer is passing the SAVE Act, a bipartisan bill that would decrease illegal immigration through attrition but pro-illegal immigration Democrats are trying to scuttle it.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

Obama has also had laws passed...

Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy Promotion Act.(This is the first federal legislation to be enacted with Obama as its primary sponsor) Became law

Secure Fence Act. Authorized construction of fencing and other security improvements along the United States–Mexico border
    Became law

The Lugar–Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act. The Bill expanded the Nunn–Lugar cooperative threat reduction concept to conventional weapons, including shoulder-fired missiles and anti-personnel mines Became Law

The “Coburn–Obama Transparency Act” eliminated gifts of travel on corporate jets by lobbyists to members of Congress and the establishment of USAspending.gov , a web search engine launched in December 2007 and run by the Office of Management and Budget to require lobbyists to disclose the candidates, leadership PACS or political parties for whom they collect or arrange contribution and the combined amount of the contributions Became law

To name a few...

I think Pailin lied last night....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]

I think everything I have written is fact. Nothing fed to me by dems. Its been fed to all of us by the republicans...[/Quote]

Funny, I swear that I was watching the DMC while reading your post......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapeDude. Show CapeDude's posts

It boggles my mind why people get so caught up with personal charm, being articulate, etc. and BS like "being a hockey mom". and lose sight of the issues. The Dem and Republican views are world's apart on the economy, abortion, gas, Iran, etc. This is the most important election since the great depression. Being a Hilary supporter myself I can't understand why so many people are losing focus on issues and taking this clumsy tokenism hook-line-and-sinker. I'm not buying any of this.

cd

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from elb77. Show elb77's posts

Ok, did anyone else notice that she has a problem pronouncing "nuclear", just like Bush? (or should I say "new-clear"?) Read the transcript. So funny that they had to write it phonetically for her.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from umustbekidding. Show umustbekidding's posts

[Quote]

To name a few...

I think Pailin lied last night....[/Quote]

She said MAJOR Legislation...she told the truth. Keep taking that bait.

Sections
Shortcuts