Did you like Sarah Palin's convention speech?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc2005. Show jc2005's posts

Spectacular. I was astonished. And her teleprompter was broken, racing ahead of her the whole time. She delivered it from memory.

I think she is the next Margaret Thatcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapiOrtiz. Show BigPapiOrtiz's posts

[Quote]

And what Earth changing piece of legislation did he come up with, propose and have passed?[/Quote]

How friggin hard is it to use Google?

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/21/164117/783?new=true

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lollipopp. Show lollipopp's posts

I heard on NPR this morning that her "Thanks but no thanks" comment on the Alaskan Bridge to No Where Boondoggle is a HUGE lie. She killed the project and she kept the federal money... Wow! So that's how the game is played.

Earmark some federal money for a project that nobody in your state likes, kill it and then give tax breaks to everyone in your state. It's fraud and it's stealing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from happysox. Show happysox's posts

[Quote]Palin hit it out of the park!

As a former Hillary now McCain supporter I was concerned about the choice of the relatively unknown Alaska Governor and the Democratic back chatter and attacks had me concerned, but no more. She was eloquent, personal and human. She connected with the base as a given, she connected with the lunch bucket hard working crowd, she connected with working women and showed that there are no limits, she even co-opted the Dems human services niche with her statement that special needs individuals have a friend in the White House. She blew the experience issue out of the water by comparing her experience to Obama's weak community activist roll, state senate and 1 year in US Senate before deciding he was ready to run for President. She is a proven reformer, nonconformist republican and represents the new GOP as opposed to Obama who writes great books, but no legislation and who has a history of action as opposed to Obama's 100 plus votes as only present.

She didn't even need to discuss Biden, although she clearly pointed out as a small town mayor she got more votes than Biden did for president. Delaware and Alaska have similar populations and Biden is one of two Senators while Palin has an 80% approval rating as Governor, the Cheif Executive of the State.

I can't want for the VP debate, she's articulate, bright, can speak on her feet (the Hockey Mom pit bull joke, wasn't on the teleprompter) and she can spend a few weeks being briefed on foreign policy in order to hold her own with Biden on foreign policy issues. On the economy she's balanced a budget and returned the states budget to the black from red, something Biden's never done.

I like this new brand of GOP leader, Romney is most likely crushed that this VP may keep Romney away from running for 16 years.
    [/Quote]

Wow Hockey Mom. So just what does that mean? Why are people bragging about that? She is a hypocrite and a liar and will set women's rights back 100 years. She said nothing of substance, just snide sarcastic remarks about Obama and the Democrats. Blah, blah, blah more Republican scare tactics. More needs to come out about who this woman really is. Oh wait, I know who she really is, a hot, sexy mouthpiece for an old feeble man who needs some boost to get votes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo. Show TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo's posts

[Quote]Sarah Palin is a joke along with the rest of the old white guys in the republican party. Everything that came out of her mouth was an attempt to gain a (very slow) response from the crowd to give the illusion of energy in the republican supporters. The republican party was formed in the 1800s to oppose the abolition of slavery and to expand it into the western territories. They have a history of regression in America, apparently things haven't changed much. What's the use in staying stagnant or going backwards? Move forward, vote Obama.[/Quote]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shanao621. Show shanao621's posts

[Quote]I am saddened that the second woman to be nominated for vice president is such a conservative. She doesn't believe in abortion, has a mentally retarded baby, takes a job that will require her to be away from her family. She believes in an abstinance only program for teens and is the mother of a pregnant 17 year old. I don't feel as if she has her head on straight. Why wouldn't these personal realitites help her see that her views aren't working? Who will be taking care of that baby while she is away? The first 3 years of a special needs child are critical to maximizing that child's potential and his parent will not be with him. I don't think she is the right woman for this job.[/Quote]

I'm sorry am I getting this right. She has a mentally retarded baby is somehow a negative thing. I commend her for not taking the easy way out and aborting the fetus because it might be "too much work". I applaud her stance on abstinence. As anyone whose ever been a teenager knows, your parents can't guide you down the right path until they are blue in the face, but they can't follow you everywhere, and a 17 year old makes their own decisions, all you can do is hope that they listened. I don't think that makes her a bad mom. As a matter of fact I appreciate that she is supporting her daughter through this. People make mistakes, families face crisis. My dad preached the negatives of drug use my entire life, he believes drugs are bad, but my brother's an addict, is that somehow my dad's fault? No he gave us the knowledge and we make our own decisions, the consequences are what we learn from. And lastly I'm not even going to get to your comment about her duties as a mother, and the job taking her away from her children. If she were a man in the exact same situation this would not even be an issue. Her husband clearly feels like he can handle the situation. Just ridiculous! I'm a registered independant and will be voting McCain in November, the democrats are completely out of touch with reality.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

[Quote]

Watching that speech last night reminded me of the people I despised in high school. You have the popular prom queen short on substance and all the white baseball cap bullies egging her on. I was bullied by these people because I was a non-athlete, a good student and a short, curly haired Jewish-Asian in a sea of lily white students. In their eyes, I was a geek. These people in high school were popular because they were good looking, shallow and obnoxious and that time was the peak of their lives. 18 years after my high school graduation that mentality no longer served them. Several of them are alchoholics, college drop outs, or divorcees.

While I concede that it is impressive that Palin was able to rally the crowd on hackneyed rhetoric delivered with the affect of 16 year old high school bee-atch, she said next to nothing about her own plans and policies. To cover up her insecurites about her background, she just made fun of Obama's intelligence and achievements to the delight of the lowbrows in the audience. The moral is you can't live your life denigrating those that are perceived as different than you, just so you can look good in a crowd of a**holes. You eventually get what's coming to you. This time around, (I pray) the American people will see through the b.s.

[/Quote]

you're still a geek
    thanks for stopping by

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgreen0210. Show jgreen0210's posts

Very inspiring...I now feel like *anybody* could be VP. I have had my passport for many years, so that makes even more qualified in foreign affairs. I manage a staff of six, so I have executive experience! Hell, I filled my gas tank yesterday, so I have energy management experience! Wait, there is more: my family has made some mistakes, so I can speak to the value of family values. John McCain, did you lose my phone number?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapiOrtiz. Show BigPapiOrtiz's posts

[Quote]http://www.crosscut.com/politics-government/17341

This is a letter from a homemaker from Wasilla who knows Sarah Palin. Read and be afraid.[/Quote]

Thanks for posting that link. Pretty damn scary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snackwell. Show snackwell's posts

Republican commentators saying what they think about Palin when they don't know their mics are on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrG8w4bb3kg

She is a Hail Mary pass, and her complete lack of substance will show once she doesn't have the RNC's speechwriters putting words in her mouth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo. Show TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo's posts

[Quote]

How friggin hard is it to use Google?

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/21/164117/783?new=true[/Quote]

Yikes! If you are quoting dailykos as news. I may need to see your license and registration because you are stewed. If you werent rip roaring mad in Oct 2007 that the National Inquirer's story on John Edwards love child wasnt made public then your credibility is ZERO.

It would seem our ability in this country to have a truly substantive debate without party blinders on is again ZERO. Neither party stands for charge. Do you think nominating lawyers for President since Jimmy Carter is change, ala the DEMs? Do you think the continued allegiance to supply side economics is change, ala the REPUBs? No and No.

The nation is apparently unwilling and unable to talk about the substance of issues. Well the politically potent that is, the rest of us would love to have an honest discord on abortion, taxes, security, immigration etc. But once an opinion comes out some negative rhetorical excrement comes out of the mouths of politicians and the lemmings that follow them. I say term limits now at every level for every office. Its time to shake up the culture.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HolyWhat. Show HolyWhat's posts

davdev...You pointed out that Palin got federal money for her town when she was mayor and for her state when she was governor. You make it sound like that was a bad thing. That is what she is supposed to do as mayor and as governor. She was looking out for the best interest of the people who voted for her and who she was elected to serve. She has no other obligation to anyone else.

Obama worked with Rep on passing legislation. Great, what was his role? What is the name of the bills? Was his role simply to vote 'yes' instead of 'present?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston234. Show boston234's posts

I was actually very impressed with her. I was at first hesitant with McCain's decision since I am a Romney supporter but she is confident enough to do fine and take on any situation her way. You base your administration on experienced staff in their field so no one person is an expert in everything. So she hasn't been all over the world 100 times. So what? Does that make you more “worldly” that you can fill up your passport? They are picking on her inexperience on every topic in the encyclopedia. What's the max characters that I can put in this text box to discuss what Obama is not experienced in because Obama has experience in nothing but voicing his opinion for years and promoting himself.

So she's not Harvard, Columbia, or Yale trained.....does that make you a better person if you are? I bet you if she was the argument would be "oh she got in there because she was a woman". Sometimes if you are good student and like to have 4 degrees under your belt, that doesn't mean that you will effectively use them. She can take on the Democrat machine and I hope McCain wins because NoBama and Empty Suit would be a waste of everyone's time. Obama is good at one thing: promoting himself. I hope the rest of the voters wake up. Many Democrats that I interact with don't have a clue about any policies or goals of both parties, they vote based on headlines. That scares the living daylights out me that people base their decision of that. Headlines are only a means to sell more papers.

Also she is very pleasant to listen to. She's not blowing any smoke and she speaks from the heart. I think this is a spark to energize pride back in the U.S. I think from last night's speech, she can take on any question that comes her way. I think the Biden / Palin debate will be a higher televised turnout than the McCain / Obama debate.

I’ve watched both conventions and there has been a big difference: The RNC they have been talking about real issues where results can be produced and the DNC, well all I could remember were people crying and dancing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bms. Show bms's posts

[Quote]

Why should a child die because someone was raped? There is adoption is the woman does not want the baby but, to kill it is inhuman.

Global warming (or as they now refer to it "climate change" is NOT man made!
    New flash the drilling on the North slope has not hurt the envorinment. AWAR is to the north slope what a postage stamp is to a football field.
    She made some enemies while cleaning up Alaskan politics that's for sure!

Get real!![/Quote]

Again, this is what scares me.

Let's just assume, for a moment, that gobal warming is just this big scientific hoax. Doesn't still make sense to, say, find alternatives to oil, so we can stop having to go over and fight half the middle east? Doesn't it make sense to protect water supplies from pollution? Doesn't it make sense to cut down pollution, so that asthma rates in cities don't keep rising?

And why should a mom, a tax paying contributing member of society, be worth less than an unborn child? Aren't ALL lives precious, as you say?

Not everyone shares the same beliefs. Some religions don't eat meat, because they believe ALL life is sacred. Maybe we should let them be in charge for a while. Some religions believe in reincarnation - don't run over that squirrel, it could be your great great grandma! I am not saying this to mock any faith. I am saying that using one extreme version of one faith's values to rule an entire country is wrong. People need to be allowed to follow their own consciences. How is letting the extreme Christian right set policy any different than the often decried Muslim countries who run their country based on an extreme version of Islam?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommyboy77. Show tommyboy77's posts

Women....all these liberal women are just mad because they never got asked to the prom and Sarah Palin did...

Bulls like Rachel Morrow are transparent...it is OK, we know you did not ask to be ugly...but it is not Sarah Palins Fault...

Much like Mitt Romney's wealth does not cause your poverty (that is because you are a worthless loser with no skills)...Sarah Palin's beauty did not make you ugly (that was your parents genetics).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAPSTARTS. Show PAPSTARTS's posts

Nobody in this election really gets it anymore. It looks like either you vote for a logical 3rd party canadate that has the better ideas and has no chance of getting 5% of the votes or vote the lesser of the 2 evils (democrat or republican). One party rule shy of a US Dictatorship.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from umustbekidding. Show umustbekidding's posts

[Quote]

Sarah Palin is for everything I am against. She is a creationist who is part of a fantastic spin machine. She doesn't know her *&^%% from her elbow when it comes to the economy and foreign policy.[/Quote]

I LOVE IT - and as long as the Northeast states remain IRRELEVANT To who gets in the White House I say keep posting your smarmy, Moonbat BS. The more you wackjobs on the left coasts protest her the more that real America will vote her in. Keep up the good work you MA wackjobs. You are aware that the rest of the country considers MA as a laughing stock?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marley209. Show marley209's posts

[Quote]Very inspiring...I now feel like *anybody* could be VP. I have had my passport for many years, so that makes even more qualified in foreign affairs. I manage a staff of six, so I have executive experience! Hell, I filled my gas tank yesterday, so I have energy management experience! Wait, there is more: my family has made some mistakes, so I can speak to the value of family values. John McCain, did you lose my phone number?[/Quote]

Best post on this topic, period!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver. Show madriver's posts

After listening to Romney and Giuliani blame all our woes on the Democrats (both have obviously forgotten whose be President for the last 8 years), I didn't last too long when Palin started her Obama-mocking. But that's what got the crowd excited, so they didn't notice that she didn't spend a lot of time telling us how qualified she was.

She does a great job delivering a speech - can't say the same about the content.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skier7303. Show skier7303's posts

unclealfie 500968
    Comments: 265

9/4/2008 11:11:15 AM
    Funny how the negative comments in this thread all seem to be coming from liberals. Can anyone imagine a dem ending her speech with a 'God bless America!?" I could hear liberals across the country grinding their teeth!

By any objective standard, she was an excellent speaker. Told us about herself and her family, her values and her REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. Interesting that she has more actual experience as a chief executive than obama and biden combined. Refreshing to hear a political speach containing substance rather than the meaningless fluff we've been hearing from obama since day one.

Naturally the dems will be firing up their slime machine to roll out against her. But, its too late; we may have just met the first female president of the US and we all ( i.e. those of us whose minds aren't already filled with democrat hatred) LOVE HER!!

"Refreshing to hear a political speach containing substance rather than meaningless fluff..."

ARE YOU JOKING?! DID YOU EVEN WATCH HER SPEECH?!

There was absolutely NO SUBSTANCE AT ALL! It was nothing but negative attacks. Unbelievable. I'm disgusted I share a country with people like you and Sarah Palin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcr4runner. Show jcr4runner's posts

It's obvious: the liberal media are terrified of her.

It was the greatest vice presidential speech in history ... from a woman Republican.

Moderate Democrats will give McCain a second look.

Conservative Republicans now have a cause to rally around.

Even disaffected libertarians and Ron Paul supporters are being swayed.

The handwriting for the liberal establishment (17 pecent approval rating) is on the wall.

In the worst case scenario, they lose. and then it is going to be:

Palin/Romney 2012; Palin/Guiliani 2012; Palin/Huckabee 2012 (that last one would REALLY drive them nuts!)

Liberal extremists will go ballistic desperately trying every trap and ploy (falling into a few of them in the process) to discredit her as being everything she is not. And the irony is that the only ones who will buy it are those urban liberals "clinging to their abortion rights and agnosticism."

Palin doesn't only "stand for conservative values" -- she IS the epitome of everything conservatives ARE -- warts and all. You may disagree with her policies, but she's a real conservative, not just a politician.

How refreshing!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HolyWhat. Show HolyWhat's posts

[Quote]

When you are presenting yourself as a "no pork" candidate, and you clearly lobbied for Pork Barrell money, you are a hypocrite.

And will you people please look up what "present" was used for. The vast majority of the time it used to vote against a bill that you may fundementally support, but has flaws in it's implementation or wording. Think of it as saying, "I support the ideas behind the bill, but I think the details of the bill need work, please revise and submit again". Sure, there were also times it was used for political cover, but ultimately voting present has the same effect as voting no.

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=274863

edit: added link[/Quote]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from evandj. Show evandj's posts

[Quote][Quote]
    Watching that speech last night reminded me of the people I despised in high school. You have the popular prom queen short on substance and all the white baseball cap bullies egging her on. I was bullied by these people because I was a non-athlete, a good student and a short, curly haired Jewish-Asian in a sea of lily white students. In their eyes, I was a geek. These people in high school were popular because they were good looking, shallow and obnoxious and that time was the peak of their lives. 18 years after my high school graduation that mentality no longer served them. Several of them are alchoholics, college drop outs, or divorcees.

While I concede that it is impressive that Palin was able to rally the crowd on hackneyed rhetoric delivered with the affect of 16 year old high school bee-atch, she said next to nothing about her own plans and policies. To cover up her insecurites about her background, she just made fun of Obama's intelligence and achievements to the delight of the lowbrows in the audience. The moral is you can't live your life denigrating those that are perceived as different than you, just so you can look good in a crowd of a**holes. You eventually get what's coming to you. This time around, (I pray) the American people will see through the b.s.
    [/Quote]

That's amazing, you have evolved for a curly haired jewish girl who was picked on to a leftwing liberal who bullys those she doesn't know.

I've heard that role reversal is common among thos that are abused.[/Quote]

Sections
Shortcuts