Do We Really Want Government Making These Decisions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Do We Really Want Government Making These Decisions?

Does this sound like a death panel?

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius rebuffed an appeal from Rep. Lou Barletta on behalf of a girl who needs a lung transplant but can’t get one because of a federal regulation that prevents her from qualifying for a transplant.

“Please, suspend the rules until we look at this policy,” Barletta, a Pennsylvania Republican, asked Sebelius during a House hearing Tuesday on behalf of Sarah Murnaghan, a 10-year-old girl who needs a lung transplant. She can’t qualify for an adult lung transplant until the age of 12, according to federal regulations, but Sebelius has the authority to waive that rule on her behalf. The pediatric lungs for which she currently qualifies aren’t available.

“I would suggest, sir, that, again, this is an incredibly agonizing situation where someone lives and someone dies,” Sebelius replied.

So, the person running Obamacare, says "someone lives, someone dies".

Simply amazing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Re: Do We Really Want Government Making These Decisions?

Remember that the next time someone trots out the old saw "If we save only one child's life, it will be worth it".

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

If the government is telling doctors "regardless of what you think the regulation is the law" then this  law is a travesty!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius rebuffed an appeal from Rep. Lou Barletta on behalf of a girl who needs a lung transplant but can’t get one because of a federal regulation that prevents her from qualifying for a transplant.

“Please, suspend the rules until we look at this policy,” Barletta, a Pennsylvania Republican, asked Sebelius during a House hearing Tuesday on behalf of Sarah Murnaghan, a 10-year-old girl who needs a lung transplant. She can’t qualify for an adult lung transplant until the age of 12, according to federal regulations, but Sebelius has the authority to waive that rule on her behalf. The pediatric lungs for which she currently qualifies aren’t available.

“I would suggest, sir, that, again, this is an incredibly agonizing situation where someone lives and someone dies,” Sebelius replied.

Simply amazing.

You realize there aren't enough spare lungs to go around right?

I admit I don't know all the facts about this story, but aren't the policies in place in order to prevent someone from having to decide who lives and who dies?  The policy creates an order in which a person would recieve a transplant. If exceptions are made then the policy becomes meaningless and then you will have a system where money and influence moves you to the top of the list. There are no winners here.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

Simply amazing.

You realize there aren't enough spare lungs to go around right?

I admit I don't know all the facts about this story, but aren't the policies in place in order to prevent someone from having to decide who lives and who dies?  The policy creates an order in which a person would recieve a transplant. If exceptions are made then the policy becomes meaningless and then you will have a system where money and influence moves you to the top of the list. There are no winners here.

[/QUOTE]

Then why give Sebelius the authority to waive? I mean, if "exceptions are going to lead to policy becoming meaningless", then why give Sebelius that authority in the first place? Is it just for sh!ts and giggles???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Then why give Sebelius the authority to waive? I mean, if "exceptions are going to lead to policy becoming meaningless", then why give Sebelius that authority in the first place? Is it just for sh!ts and giggles???

Sebelius is saying she doesn't have the authority to intervene. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

For all the "gov't death panel" dolts:

The U.S. Congress established the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) when it enacted the National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA) of 1984. The act called for a unified transplant network to be operated by a private, non-profit organization under federal contract.

http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/optn/history.asp

That means it is private organization that wrote these rules so that gov't politics wouldn't be involved.

Now you want gov't to get involved. Interesting.

Republicans demanding that government step in and "pick the winners and the losers".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

The U.S. Congress established the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) when it enacted the National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA) of 1984. The act called for a unified transplant network to be operated by a private, non-profit organization under federal contract.

That means it is private organization that wrote these rules so that gov't politics wouldn't be involved.

Republicans demanding that government step in and "pick the winners and the losers".

[/QUOTE]

In my case it's more like compassionate human being wanting a kid to live. I dunno...maybe I put more value on kids' lives than you do. Oh well...no one's perfect.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In my case it's more like compassionate human being wanting a kid to live. I dunno...maybe I put more value on kids' lives than you do. Oh well...no one's perfect.

Whatever you say coach. 

Any compassion in you for the dozens of people in PA who are also waiting for a lung?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

Whatever you say coach. 

Any compassion in you for the dozens of people in PA who are also waiting for a lung?

[/QUOTE]

Yes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

This problem has existed for as long as people have required transplants.  Sometimes there just isn't enough material to satisfy demand and for that reason rules have to be established to determine who can receive transplants and the waiting list is probably the most fair way of doing it.  But asking HHS to intervene and potentially put someone else in jeopardy who is also waiting isn't fair.  Its a horrible situation, one where no matter what happens someone isn't going to be able to receive the organ they need to live, but that isn't the government deciding who lives and who dies, it is the system that is set up to fairly allow people access according to criteria long established. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

This problem has existed for as long as people have required transplants.  Sometimes there just isn't enough material to satisfy demand and for that reason rules have to be established to determine who can receive transplants and the waiting list is probably the most fair way of doing it.  But asking HHS to intervene and potentially put someone else in jeopardy who is also waiting isn't fair.  Its a horrible situation, one where no matter what happens someone isn't going to be able to receive the organ they need to live, but that isn't the government deciding who lives and who dies, it is the system that is set up to fairly allow people access according to criteria long established. 

Of course I know the reality is there really should be no intervention. I just get caught up when things like this involve kids. Breaks my heart that a kid isn't going to have a chance to live a full life. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

No tragedy is too low for some to rape.

Not for serial rapists.  They just get better at it.

They want it both ways: for govt to back off or to intervene depending almost entirely on why and how they're personally inconvenienced. 

Today, they're against govt health care; tomorrow, they're against cutting medicare.

I have a strong suspicion that they would sorely hate living under the govt they hold so precious in their imaginations as their ideal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Of course I know the reality is there really should be no intervention. I just get caught up when things like this involve kids. Breaks my heart that a kid isn't going to have a chance to live a full life. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...Yeah, that suxxx big time.

Too bad it happens thousands of times every day all over the world.

Mostly due to money...or lack of it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

No tragedy is too low for some to rape.

Of course you call out Lefties when they do this right? Fcuking c@ntbag

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...Yeah, that suxxx big time.

Too bad it happens thousands of times every day all over the world.

Mostly due to money...or lack of it.

[/QUOTE]

Or because they don't qualify...like in this case

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

It would seem that such saintly compassion would also extend to the poor and uninsured...

...or at least the kids.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Or because they don't qualify...like in this case

Because of money.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Let PA make that call.  Fck the fed

Right, because states govts never make mistakes. <<eye roll>>

It would sukkk worse to have 50 different rules for 50 different states, as any doctor would tell you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

It would seem that such saintly compassion would also extend to the poor and uninsured...

...or at least the kids.

[/QUOTE]

Well, considering I've been FOR Obamacare I would say yes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I think everyone understands the scarcity, but that is not the issue.

It is the system that puts a politician in charge of a decision.  this is a death panel.  That's the issue.  A politician is standing there, ready to go thumbs up, thumbs down.  that's what I object to.

Look, politicians cannot be trusted with this stuff.  Are you telling me that Joe Kennedy calls looking for a transplant for a 10 year old child, Sebelius would say tough cookies?  I don't think so.

Tough cookies is for the rest of us.

Sections
Shortcuts