Does NSA Whistle Blower Edward Snowden Deserve Due Process?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Does NSA Whistle Blower Edward Snowden Deserve Due Process?

Snowden has been called a “traitor” by politicians and had his personal safety threatened. Now he’s been formally charged with violating the Espionage Act—the same law used to charge Bradley Manning, who provided information to WikiLeaks. 

For his trouble, Manning was held in solitary confinement for 23 hours per day and forced to sleep naked and sheetless, in conditions even a military judge called “excessive.” 

So, does Snowden, now formally charged with violating the Espionage Act deserve due process OR should he receive the same treatment as Bradley Manning, who was charged with violating the same act for providing information to Wikileaks?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Does NSA Whistle Blower Edward Snowden Deserve Due Process?

Yes. No drone strikes please and thank you.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

At first I thought the Snowden case was very different. Still do but some doubts crop up about what he might have done with China.

Bradley Manning deserves the death penalty. His disclosures resulted in the deaths of people working for us. 

Snowden is different so far. He is exposing some excesses on the part of our government spying on us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=ce874a42-a367-452f-afd0-fe76282426fa

"Why I Don't Care About Edward Snowden"   

The "I" is not me but Sanders, who feels Snowden himself is not the real issue here but what he did and why he  did it..

The fact  he did opens up the debate on the issues he exposed in short. Of course Snowden matters. And assumed now to be in Hong Kong, what comes next concerning him matters. But there are even bigger issues involved is Sanders point if you go to the site.                                

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

At first I thought the Snowden case was very different. Still do but some doubts crop up about what he might have done with China.

Bradley Manning deserves the death penalty. His disclosures resulted in the deaths of people working for us. 

Snowden is different so far. He is exposing some excesses on the part of our government spying on us.

link?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to MrCricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

link?

[/QUOTE]

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/08/02/taliban-seeks-vengeance-in-wake-of-wikileaks.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

link?

[/QUOTE]

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/08/02/taliban-seeks-vengeance-in-wake-of-wikileaks.html

[/QUOTE]

"While it is unknown whether any of the men were indeed named in the WikiLeaks documents..."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

"While it is unknown whether any of the men were indeed named in the WikiLeaks documents..."

Well that is certainly damning evidence.

Thanks for playing...do try again.                         

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Nixon was not impeached but Clinton was...Obama's followers don't love him they worship him, Obama could have been on video as Hernandez's trigger man and liberals would blame Bush.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

This is a new day and age with a new kind of warfare ..... Snowden deserves to be decently treated, decently fed and than decently shot ...  he not a hero he is a traitor and a spy !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Another way to look at Edward Snowden in the larger scheme of things.

"The fact that a person acted pursuant to orders of his government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was, in fact, possible to him." - from the Nuremberg Code, established by the United States during the trials which took place in Germany after WWII.   The current NSA "scandal" makes it essential to make clear to - or remind - Americans that the "State" (i.e. the Government) is NOT the "Country." Europeans and others who have lived under imposed "States" know this very well;  we do not. Note the Germans who left Germany during the Nazi era and worked to save their Country (Marlene Dietrich was one), those who fought the Vichy "Government" of France, working with  the Resistance, and on and on...those who fought to save their country from the state. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I think that the problem is that Snowden should have gone the traditional wistleblower route instead of going rogue. There are supposed to be safeguards in place for someone like him (although I can't really blame him for distrusting this admin.)

I think that he did us a favor by exposing the pervasiveness of the NSA programs but he should not have stolen classified data and left the country with four laptops or gone to Russia This makes me think that he's less of a hero and more of a traitor.

I'm keeping my mind open though.

--

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

no due process unless on US soil

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So targeted drone strikes on US citizens abroad, without due process, is acceptable?

Only, seemingly, if you're a democrat.

--

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Did Bush target US citizens abroad with lethal drone strikes?

--

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Nixon was not impeached but Clinton was...Obama's followers don't love him they worship him, Obama could have been on video as Hernandez's trigger man and liberals would blame Bush.

[/QUOTE]

Nixon resigned on August 9th, 1974, BEFORE, in all likelihood, with the smoking gun of the tapes, he would have been impeached. 

Nixon got out of Dodge just in time. His VP had to resign...Agnew...so his hand picked VP, Gerald Ford assumed the Presidency. A man/person nobody had voted for in the 1972 general election.

Not nitpicking. In context Nixon NOT being impeached is pretty immaterial to the facts. He was forced to resign OR face impeachment. He spent the rest of his life trying to regain some sort of positive legacy.

Clinton held his ground after he was impeached. He was not convicted.

Obama has not been charged with ANYTHING. 

Sections
Shortcuts