Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown!

Only the beginning, IMO, unions will take to the streets if their bread-line is disrupted.  They are 100 times more dangerous than any Tea-Party, most Tea-Party folks are busy going to work every day!

According to the Seattle Times:

“500 Longshoremen take guards hostage, threaten police with baseball bats — Seattle, WA

Work is at a standstill at the ports in Seattle and Everett as a labor dispute that started Thursday morning turned violent.

At least 500 longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview about 4:30 a.m., broke out windows in the guard shack and — as longshoremen wielding baseball bats and crowbars held six guards hostage — others cut brakelines on box cars and dumped grain, according to Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha.

No one was injured and there were no arrests, Duscha said. Fifty police officers from Kelso, Longview, Cowlitz County, the Washington State Patrol and Burlington Northern Railroad responded to the scene.

Duscha said tensions between the International Longshore and Warehouse Union and EGT Terminal have run hot for the past few months after contract negotiations broke down.

The ILWU believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that’s staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

Thursday’s violence was first reported by Kelso radio station KLOG.

“We’re not surprised,” Duscha said. “A lot of the protesters were telling us this in only the start.”

One police sergeant was threatened with baseball bats and retreated, Duscha said. “One officer with hundreds of Longshoremen? He used the better part of discretion.”

The train was the first grain shipment to arrive at Longview. It arrived Wednesday night after police arrested 19 demonstrators who tried to block the tracks. They were led by ILWU International President Robert McEllrath, who said they would return.

The blockade appeared to defy a federal restraining order issued last week against the union after it was accused of assaults and death threats.

In Seattle, port spokesman Peter McGraw said he had no additional information on the walkout.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown!

The ILWU believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that’s staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

Scabs! Oh, wait...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown!:
    [QUOTE]The ILWU believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that’s staffing a workforce of other union laborers. Scabs! Oh, wait...
    Posted by StalkingButler[/QUOTE]

Tigers eat their young......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

The situation at the terminal has spiraled out of control.  A couple of days prior to the latest violence an EGT vehicle plowed into a picket line and hit two Union protesters.  There is video of this happening and fits into the larger issue of how things devolved to this point.  There are reports that the Union president was detained without cause and roughed up by police including being pepper sprayed.  Its fair to say that in this instance where the employer (one of its employees) commited vehicular assault, questionable detention of Union officials, and union rank and file retaliating - apparently - this isn't some cut and dry case of unions running wild.  All parties have taken steps to exacerbate an already tense situation. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

It's the "you (parents, govt, business) owe me" mentality run amok!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]It's the "you (parents, govt, business) owe me" mentality run amok!!
    Posted by sk8ter2008[/QUOTE]

No its actually a contract dispute over whether EGT must use union labor at the port.  The Port Authority says in its contract with EGT this was spelled out explicitly.  EGT, who received government subsidies in the form of tax breaks for their facility and were granted a below market rate lease deal from the port decided to not honor the requirement for union labor and instead shipped in cheaper labor from outside the area to run the facility.  EGT claimed the non union workers would save the company 1 million a year, a figure they later admitted was completely made up. 

From there the situation steadily devolved and now we have union workers inciting violence, company workers running over union workers with vehicles, and police apparently mishaving as well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : No its actually a contract dispute over whether EGT must use union labor at the port.  The Port Authority says in its contract with EGT this was spelled out explicitly.  EGT, who received government subsidies in the form of tax breaks for their facility and were granted a below market rate lease deal from the port decided to not honor the requirement for union labor and instead shipped in cheaper labor from outside the area to run the facility.  EGT claimed the non union workers would save the company 1 million a year, a figure they later admitted was completely made up.  From there the situation steadily devolved and now we have union workers inciting violence, company workers running over union workers with vehicles, and police apparently mishaving as well. 
    Posted by DamainAllen[/QUOTE]

I thought the replacement workers were union as well?

So are you saying the union personnel were justified in taking hostages etc?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]The situation at the terminal has spiraled out of control.  A couple of days prior to the latest violence an EGT vehicle plowed into a picket line and hit two Union protesters.  There is video of this happening and fits into the larger issue of how things devolved to this point.  There are reports that the Union president was detained without cause and roughed up by police including being pepper sprayed.  Its fair to say that in this instance where the employer (one of its employees) commited vehicular assault, questionable detention of Union officials, and union rank and file retaliating - apparently - this isn't some cut and dry case of unions running wild.  All parties have taken steps to exacerbate an already tense situation. 

It matters not what the police did as a justification for the behavior of the unions.  Address it in the legal system, we are a nation of laws.

My fear is that we have a government that is unwilling to hold unions and union members accountable for their obviously illegal behavior.  It harms us all when the government behaves in this way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : No its actually a contract dispute over whether EGT must use union labor at the port.  The Port Authority says in its contract with EGT this was spelled out explicitly.  EGT, who received government subsidies in the form of tax breaks for their facility and were granted a below market rate lease deal from the port decided to not honor the requirement for union labor and instead shipped in cheaper labor from outside the area to run the facility.  EGT claimed the non union workers would save the company 1 million a year, a figure they later admitted was completely made up.  From there the situation steadily devolved and now we have union workers inciting violence, company workers running over union workers with vehicles, and police apparently mishaving as well. 

well , war is not the answer.  We are a nation of laws.  I don't care whatthe dispute is, the union action was violent and illegal.

But, what do you expect when you have a president who tells them to get in people's faces, a congressman who tells them to get a little bloody?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Read: Tier 2 Labor Management...

...in which former workers are re-hired at up to half the rate previously earned (because any job is better than none) and end up working next to people doing the same job for more money.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Read: Tier 2 Labor Management... ...in which former workers are re-hired at up to half the rate previously earned (because any job is better than none) and end up working next to people doing the same job for more money.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Are you justifying holding American citizens HOSTAGE over a private labor dispute?

Really, that's low, for even you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The left just wants to deflect on this, afraid to own up to union violence being promoted by their political leaders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : Are you justifying holding American citizens HOSTAGE over a private labor dispute? Really, that's low, for even you.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not, and there's nothing from my post to suggest I am...

...which is smelly, even for a c((*))nt like you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

To Sk8ter and skeeter, I am not implying that the actions by the union workers are justified but rather providing some context to what has happened up to this point.  And yes in a nation of laws the appropriate recourse for a contract dispute is the courts, not beating people, or hitting with pick up trucks.  My point was simply that as of today the sides involved have behaved poorly and we are seeing the results of that playing out, but with respect to those results observers are fully informed can blame neither the union or the employer exclusively.  This isn't a case of the standard blame the union (or employer)  rhetoric.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]The situation at the terminal has spiraled out of control.  A couple of days prior to the latest violence an EGT vehicle plowed into a picket line and hit two Union protesters.  There is video of this happening and fits into the larger issue of how things devolved to this point.  There are reports that the Union president was detained without cause and roughed up by police including being pepper sprayed.  Its fair to say that in this instance where the employer (one of its employees) commited vehicular assault, questionable detention of Union officials, and union rank and file retaliating - apparently - this isn't some cut and dry case of unions running wild.  All parties have taken steps to exacerbate an already tense situation. 
    I need a link to these allegations! I have searched and found NOTHING. This is a lie! Show me! This is 100% Unions run wild!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]To Sk8ter and skeeter, I am not implying that the actions by the union workers are justified but rather providing some context to what has happened up to this point.  And yes in a nation of laws the appropriate recourse for a contract dispute is the courts, not beating people, or hitting with pick up trucks.  My point was simply that as of today the sides involved have behaved poorly and we are seeing the results of that playing out, but with respect to those results observers are fully informed can blame neither the union or the employer exclusively.  This isn't a case of the standard blame the union (or employer)  rhetoric.
    The only ones acting poorly are the union thugs! The union president was never arrested!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : I need a link to these allegations! I have searched and found NOTHING. This is a lie! Show me! This is 100% Unions run wild!
    Posted by brat13[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should work on your Google-Fu, your inability to find something doesn't make me a liar.

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_d0cdd6dc-c600-11e0-88e2-001cc4c03286.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016144477_longshoremen09m.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : The only ones acting poorly are the union thugs! The union president was never arrested!
    Posted by brat13[/QUOTE]

I didn't claim he was arrested, I wrote that according to reports he was detained and alledgedly pepper sprayed. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : I didn't claim he was arrested, I wrote that according to reports he was detained and alledgedly pepper sprayed. 
    He was neither detained nor pepper sprayed. He was grabbed by cops and then pulled back by his thugs. Maybe they pepper sprayed him?

Union officials say they worried police were going to arrest Robert McEllrath, president of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, for trespassing, so they moved to protect him. McEllrath was not arrested.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

There is no justification for violence, you cannot destroy someone elses property, you cannot threaten peolple with violence, you cannot hold guards hostage.

W-T-F don't you get!

Oh, and BTW, we won't even bring up the "alleged" violent acts and sabotage by our union buddies with VERIZON when they were on strike, nope, nothing happened there.

I smell a stench of a pattern here, just wait and see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : I didn't claim he was arrested, I wrote that according to reports he was detained and alledgedly pepper sprayed. 

And, is your point that this justified the taking of hostages by union members?  In any other circumstance, that is a crime that ends in long jail time.

I just want to know what point you are trying to make.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : And, is your point that this justified the taking of hostages by union members?  In any other circumstance, that is a crime that ends in long jail time. I just want to know what point you are trying to make.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

I have explained this already.  I was providing context to a thread which had none.  There is no justification from me with respect to the events that happened.  If I was trying to justify, I would have said that. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Domestic Terrorism - Home Grown! : I have explained this already.  I was providing context to a thread which had none.  There is no justification from me with respect to the events that happened.  If I was trying to justify, I would have said that. 

Back-pedal much?

What a dope!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

These boards are becoming much like the Presidential race, all personal attacks and minutia...nothing about the issues.

Divulging resumes, and ones current job positions to make an argument more credible is not going to work here, blogging anonymity takes care of that. Claim away!

BTW, I know I use Newman as my avatar, but really I'm the spitting image of Brad Pitt.

Sections
Shortcuts