Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance...

"Today, the discriminatory law known as 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' is finally and formally repealed. As of today, patriotic Americans in uniform will no longer have to lie about who they are in order to serve the country they love. As of today, our armed forces will no longer lose the extraordinary skills and combat experience of so many gay and lesbian service members. And today, as Commander in Chief, I want those who were discharged under this law to know that your country deeply values your service.

I was proud to sign the Repeal Act into law last December because I knew that it would enhance our national security, increase our military readiness, and bring us closer to the principles of equality and fairness that define us as Americans. Today's achievement is a tribute to all the patriots who fought and marched for change; to Members of Congress, from both parties, who voted for repeal; to our civilian and military leaders who ensured a smooth transition; and to the professionalism of our men and women in uniform who showed that they were ready to move forward together, as one team, to meet the missions we ask of them.

For more than two centuries, we have worked to extend America's promise to all our citizens. Our armed forces have been both a mirror and a catalyst of that progress, and our troops, including gays and lesbians, have given their lives to defend the freedoms and liberties that we cherish as Americans. Today, every American can be proud that we have taken another great step toward keeping our military the finest in the world and toward fulfilling our nation’s founding ideals." 

- POTUS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance...

On behalf of a large group of political conservatives, I say good riddance as well.  America just got a little more American today.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

it would enhance our national security, increase our military read

nonsense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance...:
    [QUOTE]How bout DOMA now? Another dem policy
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Yes, a dem policy which took a dem pres to finally undo.  Mea culpa writ large. 

DOMA should be next.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]it would enhance our national security, increase our military read nonsense.
    Posted by KittyDuke[/QUOTE]

Why is it "nonsense"?

Because you think so...?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance... : Hear hear.  2 years of an all dem congres with a dem POTUS, and nothing, including the great Barney refusing to co-sponsor a repeal bill.

Better late than never, I guess...  though why it took 18 years is another story entirely, right...??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Why is it "nonsense"?

Because you think so...?

Can you qualify it? How can this possibly increase our national security?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance... : I'm talking about DOMA. Clinton did what he had to with DADT

I'll chalk that up to run-of-the-mill political weakness and perhaps an attempt to wait and possibly let either the courts strike it or prop. 8 down.

That said, I too think SSM should probably be left up to the states barring a commerce clause snafu....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Why is it "nonsense"? Because you think so...? Can you qualify it? How can this possibly increase our national security?

Because perfectly able, trained soldiers are not being unnecessarily discharged for no practical reason.

And when they get around to approving appropriate benefits for their partners, it will be even stronger.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

I wondered about overall moral issues.
    Practical reasons... okay.
    I never even thought about partner benefit$$$$$$$$$$$.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sof7squash. Show sof7squash's posts

All the gays had to do was keep their mouths shut and they'd be able to continue serving, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. But of course you liberals can't accept something that simple. My question is what does the gay community have to gain by being allowed to openly admit to their sexual preference? What part of unit cohesion do they wish to deteriorate? (Unless you've actually served and know what being part of a military unit is like, assume this question as rhetorical). How strong or weak does ones patriotism have to be that when asked to keep their sexual orientation to themselves, that they would rather make others uncomfortable and become the victims of taking the discharge option? Not too patriotic if you ask me.
    I'm OK with the mandatory removal part of the policy changing. A lot of non-gay troops used it to get an early release. Nice to see that part gone.
    Over all, it's always the outsiders/liberals who have to tell others what to do and what to think and what to feel.
    Every time BarryO pulls out his pen, he weakens the nation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobc33. Show bobc33's posts

Well I certainly have Barack Obama derangement syndrome; but as an Army veteran who served with gays I'll say about time.  It is no big deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Good Job!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Why have any rules in society?  Toss 'em all.  Just do what you feel, or what you want.

As my best friend is fond of saying, be open minded, but don't be so open minded thatyour brains fall out.

Society's brains just fell out.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I wondered about overall moral issues. Practical reasons... okay. I never even thought about partner benefit $$$$$$$$$$$ .

What "overall moral issues"...??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]And when they get around to approving appropriate benefits for their partners, it will be even stronger. ------------------------------ Getting rid of DADT doesn't do that.  THAT is DOMA.  The same sex spouse of a soldier (or congressman) married in Massachusetts will get nothing and like it.

I realize that.

However, military rules re: spousal benefits, next of kin, etc. will eventually need to be scrutinized for fairness and administrative (if not practical) equity.

DADT only addressed the basic facts which everyone knew but nobody talked about.  Now, to the extent that people continue to talk about it, other issues will naturally come under review.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance... : I realize that. However, military rules re: spousal benefits, next of kin, etc. will eventually need to be scrutinized for fairness and administrative (if not practical) equity. DADT only addressed the basic facts which everyone knew but nobody talked about.  Now, to the extent that people continue to talk about it, other issues will naturally come under review.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Naturally what seems natural is often not part of nature.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]All the gays had to do was keep their mouths shut and they'd be able to continue serving, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. But of course you liberals can't accept something that simple. My question is what does the gay community have to gain by being allowed to openly admit to their sexual preference? What part of unit cohesion do they wish to deteriorate? (Unless you've actually served and know what being part of a military unit is like, assume this question as rhetorical). How strong or weak does ones patriotism have to be that when asked to keep their sexual orientation to themselves, that they would rather make others uncomfortable and become the victims of taking the discharge option? Not too patriotic if you ask me. I'm OK with the mandatory removal part of the policy changing. A lot of non-gay troops used it to get an early release. Nice to see that part gone. Over all, it's always the outsiders/liberals who have to tell others what to do and what to think and what to feel. Every time BarryO pulls out his pen, he weakens the nation.
    Posted by sof7squash[/QUOTE]

A lot of gross assumptions here that don't really hold up on their own, so instead a simple question:

Why should some soldiers be forced to lie about their sexual orientation while others are not...??

It would seem that the very best way of maintaining unit cohesion is honesty and trust among its members.

As for "making others uncomfortable", that's their problem - their own insecurity - not the problem of someone trying to live their life openly and honestly. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance... : Naturally what seems natural is often not part of nature.
    Posted by sk8ter2008[/QUOTE]

Except that Everything is part of nature, including our constant, futile efforts to prove to ourselves otherwise...

I understand however that the military is a massive ship that doesn't turn on a dime and in which change happens slowly, if at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Good Riddance... : What "overall moral issues"...??
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I realize there are no moral values in your worldview, but noteveryone shares that.  In my worldview, homosexuality is as wrong as cancer.  So, I am not getting why I should be so happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Can we have Gay Day as a national holiday?

I bet the church bells were all ringing.

Sections
Shortcuts