Duck Dynasty's Robertson exposes left wing hypocrisy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Re: Duck Dynasty's Robertson exposes left wing hypocrisy

In response to DamainAllen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to newman09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So really, who's been injured here?  Really, who has been hurt?  This is the whole point.  We're talking about political correctness, a bunch of words.  Who really has been harmed here, at the end of the day? Nobody but Phil Robertson. 

[/QUOTE]

A&E's intellectual property is harmed.  In the same way you would be harmed if you owned a company and one of your employees made similar comments to the media, while wearing your company uniform.  Phil wasn't interviewed because GQ wanted to get time with some random dude who like to hunt, he was interviewed because he one of the cast members of the A&E property Duck Dynasty.    The resulting backlash potentially scares of sponsors, which affects the A&E's immediate bottom line, and damages the brand so that it may be less profitable in the future.  

This is no different than when A&E put Dog The Bounty HUnter on hiatus after the recordings of that show's star surfaced with him calling black people the n word. 

[/QUOTE]

The sponsors are already lining up with  Robertson.

You are exhibitig intolerance by equating the religous views of Robertson with someone denigrating people because of their skin color.

Plus you are apparently intolerant of those that enjoy beastiality. Who are you to judge others like that? So some guy has sex with a cow. How does that effect you? Is that worse than eating it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The mangement of A&E has the right to make whatever decisions that think are best.  And they didn't cave to public opinion - they made their decision very quickly.

I'm surprised by the lack of outrage that someone fro Duck Dynasty was in GQ.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was saying that those who objected to his comments were judging the sexual preferences of others. They were offended to be compared to those who practice beastiality and other sorts of sexual activities

[/QUOTE]

Then you're making less sense than ever. The "Duck Dynasty" non-story is about a private employer firing someone for saying that homosexuality is a sin.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  The reason, however, I fear, is expected retribution from the so tolerant tolerance police.  I doubt seriously  that A&E has any real moral standards, just a balance sheet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I was saying that those who objected to his comments were judging the sexual preferences of others. They were offended to be compared to those who practice beastiality and other sorts of sexual activities

[/QUOTE]

Then you're making less sense than ever. The "Duck Dynasty" non-story is about a private employer firing someone for saying that homosexuality is a sin.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  The reason, however, I fear, is expected retribution from the so tolerant tolerance police.  I doubt seriously  that A&E has any real moral standards, just a balance sheet.

[/QUOTE]

Ding!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

You could build an army out of all these straw men.

This guy has the right to say something offensive or unpopular...

...just as other people have the right to disagree.

Either way, nobody's rights have been violated, much less the right to free speech or the religious "freedom" to hate on teh gays...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well I guess you get to decide what the story is about? The story is also about the hypocritcal howls of libruls making judgements about beastiality the way Robertson is making judgements about homosexuality.

If Robertson were an employee, firing him because of his religious beliefs would be illegal, would it not?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"The opinions presented on this program are not the expressed opinions of the network, the producers, etc., etc...."

In other words, these people consumed "raw or uncooked shellfish" and then complained that they got sick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Either way, nobody's rights have been violated, much less the right to free speech or the religious "freedom" to hate on teh gays...

[/QUOTE]

Something unsettling, however, on the left's jihad against those who are not down with their view on tolerance.  Haven't heard anyone on the left willing to fight to defend his right to say what he said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] retribution from the so tolerant tolerance police. [/QUOTE]

Gay people not liking being called sinners is "retribution"?

Not approving of beasiality is intolerance?

The right is getting dumber by the minute.

[/QUOTE]

Kicking this guy off his show is retribution.

I might not agree with what he said (or I might, who cares?), but I really don't think it rises to the level of clotheslining the guy.  Liberals, with alll their tolerance, are a nasty bunch when someone disagrees with them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Something unsettling, however, on the left's jihad against those who are not down with their view on tolerance.  Haven't heard anyone on the left willing to fight to defend his right to say what he said.

[/QUOTE]

Then you're not listening.

I said it was just silly, not offensive to me personally.  (His views on the lives of pre-civil rights blacks is another matter.)

But it still has nothing to do with free speech and even less with religious freedom.

What is this "view on tolerance" of which you speak?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE] retribution from the so tolerant tolerance police. [/QUOTE]

Gay people not liking being called sinners is "retribution"?

Not approving of beasiality is intolerance?

The right is getting dumber by the minute.

[/QUOTE]

Kicking this guy off his show is retribution.

I might not agree with what he said (or I might, who cares?), but I really don't think it rises to the level of clotheslining the guy.  Liberals, with alll their tolerance, are a nasty bunch when someone disagrees with them.

[/QUOTE]

He wasn't kicked off "his show"...just suspended (probably until the hype cools off).

And who said the A&E execs are liberals?  You?!

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9geCS0v7w8

If I cannot bring you comfort
    Then at least I bring you hope
    For nothing is more precious
    Than the time we have and so
    We all must learn from small misfortune
    Count the blessings that are real
    Let the bells ring out for Christmas
    At the closing of the year
    Let the bells ring out for Christmas
    At the closing of the year.

jed,

"For Andie et al"

What a lovely lovely post to do.

You are one very sweet guy.

Thank you does not begin to cover it. Hope you know it goes far deeper jed.

You do add to my world. You have for some time.

May the bells of Xmas ring out for you this year, and for everyone else here on this board...and for many many years to come.

Wendy & Lisa - The Closing Of The Year

A most beautiful song. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So really, who's been injured here?  Really, who has been hurt?  This is the whole point.  We're talking about political correctness, a bunch of words.  Who really has been harmed here, at the end of the day? Nobody but Phil Robertson. 

[/QUOTE]

A&E's intellectual property is harmed.  In the same way you would be harmed if you owned a company and one of your employees made similar comments to the media, while wearing your company uniform.  Phil wasn't interviewed because GQ wanted to get time with some random dude who like to hunt, he was interviewed because he one of the cast members of the A&E property Duck Dynasty.    The resulting backlash potentially scares of sponsors, which affects the A&E's immediate bottom line, and damages the brand so that it may be less profitable in the future.  

This is no different than when A&E put Dog The Bounty HUnter on hiatus after the recordings of that show's star surfaced with him calling black people the n word. 

[/QUOTE]

I think the fact that Dog the Bounty Hunter came back on their station proves they'll be just fine. A&E will not be hurt by this...certainly not in the long term. They'll be just fine.

[/QUOTE]

They weren't hurt because they acted swiftly to rectify the problem.  Dog the Bounty Hunter was off the air for almost a year, before being brought back.  Now Phil's comments don't rise to that level of severity in my mind, so the hiatus would likely be even shorter if the family doesn't walk away completely.  

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't appear there will be ANY hiatus...

Phil Robertson Will Return To 'Duck Dynasty' Episodes In January

It looks like Phil Robertson's suspension from "Duck Dynasty" may be just for show. Entertainment Weekly learned that on Jan. 15, A&E will begin airing new episodes of the show that include scenes featuring the "Dynasty" patriarch.

"The network also hopes the media and fan furor will cool down over the holidays and that tensions over shooting future episodes can then be resolved," Entertainment Weekly reports. “There’s no negotiation to have; we’re doing the show,” an inside source told them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the fact that Dog the Bounty Hunter came back on their station proves they'll be just fine. A&E will not be hurt by this...certainly not in the long term. They'll be just fine.

[/QUOTE]

They weren't hurt because they acted swiftly to rectify the problem.  Dog the Bounty Hunter was off the air for almost a year, before being brought back.  Now Phil's comments don't rise to that level of severity in my mind, so the hiatus would likely be even shorter if the family doesn't walk away completely.  

[/QUOTE]

It looks like Phil Robertson's suspension from "Duck Dynasty" may be just for show. Entertainment Weekly learned that on Jan. 15, A&E will begin airing new episodes of the show that include scenes featuring the "Dynasty" patriarch.

"The network also hopes the media and fan furor will cool down over the holidays and that tensions over shooting future episodes can then be resolved," Entertainment Weekly reports. “There’s no negotiation to have; we’re doing the show,” an inside source told them.

[/QUOTE]

When all is said and done, I think that's probably the best outcome.  A&E decided the value of the show was higher than the fallout from a potential boycott, but they made it clear they dis-approve of the statements.  It's hard to see A&E as a group of bigots because of the statements of one man on a reality show.

But one thing that should concern us all is the out-pouring of support for Robertson.  When you talk about incidents like Alec Baldwin - the left is willing to overlook bigotry to a certain extent if they appreciate other qualities.  But the right is celebrating bigotry.  People who never saw the show, never knew who Phil Robertson was, went out and bought his merchandise to put money into his already over-flowing pockets, solely because of his bigotry.  

I know conservatives are going to say it was about freedom of speech, but it wasn't - it was because they liked what he said.  When you are disturbed by what somebody says, you acknowledge their right to say it - you don't run out and buy action figures.  Alec Baldwin was not helped by his comments - nor was Mel Gibson or Michael Richards.  It's not going to end their careers (Richards maybe) but nobody on the left is celebrating them for their bigotry.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When all is said and done, I think that's probably the best outcome.  A&E decided the value of the show was higher than the fallout from a potential boycott, but they made it clear they dis-approve of the statements.  It's hard to see A&E as a group of bigots because of the statements of one man on a reality show.

But one thing that should concern us all is the out-pouring of support for Robertson.  When you talk about incidents like Alec Baldwin - the left is willing to overlook bigotry to a certain extent if they appreciate other qualities.  But the right is celebrating bigotry.  People who never saw the show, never knew who Phil Robertson was, went out and bought his merchandise to put money into his already over-flowing pockets, solely because of his bigotry.  

I know conservatives are going to say it was about freedom of speech, but it wasn't - it was because they liked what he said.  When you are disturbed by what somebody says, you acknowledge their right to say it - you don't run out and buy action figures.  Alec Baldwin was not helped by his comments - nor was Mel Gibson or Michael Richards.  It's not going to end their careers (Richards maybe) but nobody on the left is celebrating them for their bigotry.

[/QUOTE]

I'm a conservative and I disagree with what he said...and I ain't the only one. So there's that. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm a conservative and I disagree with what he said...and I ain't the only one. So there's that. 

[/QUOTE]

Sure - I don't doubt that at all, but you and the millions of rational conservatives will sit quietly while the fringe once again champions bigotry.  That is the face of the party - that is why the GOP is labeled as racist and homophobic.  And nobody with any influence will say anything because they will be branded as RINOs and lose what little power they had. 

I want to say you're the silent majority of your party, but the thing about silent majorities is they can quickly become the minority.  I wonder if that hasn't already happened.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure - I don't doubt that at all, but you and the millions of rational conservatives will sit quietly while the fringe once again champions bigotry.  That is the face of the party - that is why the GOP is labeled as racist and homophobic.  And nobody with any influence will say anything because they will be branded as RINOs and lose what little power they had. 

I want to say you're the silent majority of your party, but the thing about silent majorities is they can quickly become the minority.  I wonder if that hasn't already happened.

[/QUOTE]

I don't give a rats a55 what label the GOP has. That affects me personally in no way shape or form. So there's that.

You accuse me of "sitting quietly"...ok, what do you expect me to do?