Election Day Should Be A Holiday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Election Day Should Be A Holiday

Wouldn't it make voting easier and still allow states to decide whether or not to have early voting?

As a democratic government, it would seem to set a good example that the day is worth focusing on the process and getting the maximum number of voters possible.

Plus, there are so few holidays on Tuesdays.  Mondays always gets the lion share.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Election Day Should Be A Holiday

Addendum: I just found out that many auto (plant?) workers actually do have the day off as part of a UAW contract provision dating back to 1999.

Still, I think this is a good idea. If we can combine it with a St. Patrick's Day-style day-long drink-a-thon, then even better.  Everyone who votes will get a free drink ticket, like at a company picnic.  Then people can converge on the bars (after or before voting...probably not much difference...) to bask in their fellow citizens' partisan fervor.

The entertainment value alone of the "my candidate can kick you candidate's azz" arguments would be worth it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Wouldn't it make voting easier and still allow states to decide whether or not to have early voting?

As a democratic government, it would seem to set a good example that the day is worth focusing on the process and getting the maximum number of voters possible.

Plus, there are so few holidays on Tuesdays.  Mondays always gets the lion share.

No, it would just become another shopping day at the mall.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

An Elementary school down the street is being used as a polling place, and the kids have the day off. Since these are young kids, most likely a parent also has to take a day off as well. It may make life easier for some, but may give some people an excuse not to vote and take a four day weekend. 

But, more to your point, I have passed a few bars and coffeeshops this afternoon, and many folks seem to be treating this day as an unofficial holiday already.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I think it should be too!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Make voting easier for who? The lazy Obama voters that don't work or don't want to work?

Voting takes work.  It should take work and an ID.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Elections should be held on the weekend, and federalized.  Every polling place should have the same procedure, hours, and machines. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

It will feel like chrismas after Obama is voted out.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Do you know why the election takes place in Nov, and on a tuesday?

Hint, it has to do with harvests and religion. Should be easy to move on.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

I thought Tuesday was the day Republicans voted.  And Democrats vote on Wednesday.

Do I have that right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

I thought Tuesday was the day Republicans voted.  And Democrats vote on Wednesday.

Do I have that right?

Oh snore. Did you also post the one about republicans vs dems only vote when they get out of work?

Because ya know, the jokes never get old in wingnut land unless a bar drunk wingnut every couple of years puts one together. Then that'll get rehashed for the next 16 years. Geesh.

BTW, isn't that promoting voter fraud? Hint: guilty

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Make voting easier for who? The lazy Obama voters that don't work or don't want to work?

Yeah, those red states really are the engine of our economy, aren't they?  What would we do without all the jobs Alabama produces?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Elections should be held on the weekend, and federalized.  Every polling place should have the same procedure, hours, and machines. 

Agree completely. Of all the world's democracies..the US is the least "user friendly" when it comes to voting. Many democracies allow voting for a period of days..have their election on the weekends..or make election day a holiday from work. We are also the only democracy that allows the political parties to set the rules.

Despite Skeeter's perspective..doing any of these things actually helps working class Americans most of all.

No one in 2012 in the United States should have to stand in line until 1AM in order to exercise their right to vote. It is shameful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I live just outside of Boston.  I voted after work.  I waited in line for about 5 minutes.  My wife voted in the morning - she had a 10 minute wait.

A woman at work lives in Roxbury.  She voted after work and waited in line for 1 1/2 hours.

People in Florida waited hours to vote.  Places ran out of ballots.

We should all have the same opportunity to vote regardless of where we live.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I had to wait in line about 15 or so minutes, which is the most I've ever had to wait, but you do what you have to do.

Granted, I get to cheat in a way as I work nights and I'm going to the polls after getting out of work. I can only imagine how long the lines are at 5pm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Looks like those "lazy" voters busted their azzes on Tue. to re-elect, eh...?

Is the sky green with pink spots in your world...?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

I would make election day the Tuesday after April 15, or tax day October 15.

lol...me too...but that would take an amendment to the Constitution :-)

Sections
Shortcuts