Emails show IRS scandal did NOT originate solely in Cincinnati. Higher ups requested info on conservative groups.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Emails show IRS scandal did NOT originate solely in Cincinnati. Higher ups requested info on conservative groups.

In response to tvoter's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

[QUOTE]

it's not the fact that they were conservative but that they were political groups applying for tax exempt status. THAT in itself is illegal! I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. Political speech IStaxed. You would just give them tax exempt status even thought its a crime?

Filing to be a 501 is a tax empt status bsed on being a non for profit.

You r political affiliation is irrelevent.

The only groups harrassed as the IRS admitted when filing for this status was entities with "PATRIOT" or "TeaParty" or other conservative named groups.

They dramatically reduced the speech of one ideoloogy while expanding the other DURING an election cycle!

[/QUOTE]

A non profit that participates in political speech is legally supposed to be taxed. Clearly you have no issue with political groups that allign with your politcal ideology attempting to break the law. This is why I and many other independents in this country cant stand the way the republicans are currently operating. Expect to lose more elections in the future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Emails show IRS scandal did NOT originate solely in Cincinnati. Higher ups requested info on conservative groups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

[/QUOTE]

A non profit that participates in political speech is legally supposed to be taxed. Clearly you have no issue with political groups that allign with your politcal ideology attempting to break the law. This is why I and many other independents in this country cant stand the way the republicans are currently operating. Expect to lose more elections in the future.

[/QUOTE]

A non-profit that expresses their point of view on current issues are 501 tax exempt orgs!

Liberal groups have them, conservative groups have them.

They are the bstard child of CFR!

I do not like them but, when only one side is targeted during an election cycle by our govt it is criminal!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Some emotional testimony today from those groups that were targeted due to assumed political affiliations and harrassed by the govt!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

It is likely that someone at the Internal Revenue Service illegally leaked confidential donor information showing a contribution from Mitt Romney’s political action committee to the National Organization for Marriage, says the group.

In a letter exclusively obtained by The Daily Caller, the organization has asked the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration to “investigate and learn the source of the breach and prosecute those responsible to the fullest extent of the law.” It also provided evidence suggesting the leak might have been the result of “IRS employee misconduct.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/12/pro-marriage-group-thinks-irs-employee-leaked-mitt-romneys-donor-info-to-human-rights-campaign/#ixzz2VHfq3LWh

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Alabama Tea Party leader Becky Gerritson was roundly applauded yesterday when her voice cracked as she concluded her testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee about the illegal harassment of an estimated 500 conservative, religious and pro-Israel groups by the IRS during the 2010 and 2012 campaigns:

"This was a willful act of intimidation to discourage a point of view. What the government did to our little group in Wetumka, Ala., was un-American. It isn't a matter of firing or arresting individuals. The individuals who sought to intimidate us were acting as they thought they should in a government culture that has little respect for its citizens.

"Many of the agents and agencies of the federal government do not understand that they are servants of the people. They think they are our masters and they are mistaken. I am not interested in scoring political points. I want to protect and preserve the America that I grew up in, the American that people cross oceans and risk their lives to become part of, and I am terrified that it is slipping away."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The president himself called the conduct outrageous. The new director of the IRS has said it was a breach of trust of America, and McDermott is pretending that somehow it was the fault of the tea party because like all Americans, they follow the law, made application for legal exemptions of one kind or another, and were discriminated against.

I mean, it's embarrassing, butI think some Democrats are beyond embarrassment on this. There is no defense, even Democrats admit there is no defense. The only question is where the idea came from, who knew, who gave the order, who condoned it, and then who learned about it later and did nothing. And those are the important questions.

Today was important because it gave a face to what is a number, a 501c4 which is an abstraction. It showed how the First Amendment really affected real people. And that now is done. I think from now on, the task is to trace the chain and find out where it went, [how] high up, who started it and who knew about it

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ya don't hear the other 226 groups crying about being "targeted".

[QUOTE]

Did the IRS admit targetting them for political reasons??

DUH

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Low level house cleaning continues at the IRS.

WASHINGTON — The IRS has put a top official in charge of implementing Obamacare on administrative leave after it was discovered he had accepted $1,162 in free food and other items during a 2010 conference.

Schindler is the deputy for Sarah Hall Ingram, who is heading up implementation of the Affordable Care Act for the IRS. Ingram has come under scrutiny recently because she oversaw the division of the IRS which targeted conservative organizations seeking nonprofit status.

Hmmm who will be first to work a "tell all deal" with prosecutors?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Hopefully heads roll. But I will have to chortle if this falls flat like every other f'ing scandal the Rs have ran with since picking up on the birth certificate nonsense.

I'm sure you will. Like the right did with Dan Rathers service story and the many other idiotic claims the left made and still bring up as a deflection for their boss.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Dan Rathers? Why don't you go full-Greg and wave Andrew Jackson at me?

Didnt need to.

The point is both parties and ideologies attack, obstruct, and play nasty at the people expense equally.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

Then there's this:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/06/05/193100/liberal-groups-say-they-dont-see.html#.Ua_ft_Z9Bi8 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Two Internal Revenue Service employees in the agency's Cincinnati office told congressional investigators that IRS officials in Washington helped direct the probe of tea-party groups that began in 2010.

Transcripts of the interviews, viewed Wednesday by The Wall Street Journal, appear to contradict earlier statements by top IRS officials, who have blamed lower-level workers in Cincinnati.

Elizabeth Hofacre said her office in Cincinnati sought help from IRS officials in the Washington unit that oversees tax-exempt organizations after she started getting the tea party cases in April 2010. Ms. Hofacre said Carter Hull, an IRS lawyer in Washington, closely oversaw her work and suggested some of the questions asked applicants.

"I was essentially a front person, because I had no autonomy or no authority to act on [applications] without Carter Hull's influence or input," she said, according to the transcripts.

Mr. Hull could not be reached for comment.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

As an agent, we are controlled by many, many people. We have to submit many, many reports. So the chance of two agents being rogue and doing things like that could never happen,” the employee said.

Another, more senior employee in the Cincinnati office said she was so fed up with “micromanagement” from IRS officials in Washington that she applied for another job in July 2010, several months after the targeting began. “It was the micromanagement,” the employee explained. “The subject area was extremely sensitive and it was something that I didn’t want to be associated with.”

The employee said she was aware of the “inappropriateness” of “not processing these applications [from conservative groups] fairly and timely” in 2010, and seemed baffled at the official explanations coming out of Washington. “I mean, rogue agent?” the employee said. “Even though I was taking all my direction from [the Exempt Organizations Technical Division in Washington, D.C.],” she said. “I didn’t want my name in the paper for being this rogue agent for a project I had no control over.”

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Internal Revenue Service officials on Thursday tried to tame another scandal plaguing the agency, apologizing to lawmakers for a lavish 2010 conference in California that included an elaborate Star Trek spoof training video.

"After I saw the production, I fully regretted it," said Faris Fink, the IRS small business commissioner who played the character Spock in the Star Trek parody that included a tax-themed skit. "It's embarrassing."

The IRS, already under a cloud of scandal related to the targeting of conservative groups, this week faced fresh criticism over a Treasury watchdog report on wasteful spending.

Lawmakers on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee accused the agency of grossly misusing taxpayer money when it spent at least $4.1 million at the conference on luxury hotel rooms, expensive training videos and outside speakers on topics such as leadership through painting.

A Treasury report released this week condemned the conference and said $3.2 million of the cost was funded by money set aside to hire enforcement employees.

Fink on Thursday said the IRS did not keep full records of the Anaheim, California, conference and warned the overall cost could have been as high as $5 million.

The conference scandal has further eroded the public image of the IRS, which is under fire after it was revealed last month that workers in a Cincinnati, Ohio, field office targeted conservative groups for intense scrutiny when considering applications for tax-exempt status.

Republicans, including House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa, have accused the IRS of following direction from Washington in the targeting, but current and former top IRS officials have denied that there was political motivation.

On Thursday, Issa blasted the IRS for the conference spending, calling it "at best, maliciously self-indulgent."

Lawmakers particularly seized on the $50,000 the IRS spent during the conference on training videos, which also included a line-dancing routine video "designed to engage managers and help facilitate a connection between executives and managers."

Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the committee, said he was up at 3 a.m. watching the Star Trek video trying to find a way the cost could be justified.

"I swear I do not see the redeeming value," Cummings said.

Acting IRS commissioner Danny Werfel, who started in the position on May 22 after President Barack Obama fired Werfel's predecessor, told lawmakers that the IRS is "an agency in crisis" and pledged to clean up its reputation.

The tax agency has been under fire since early May, when IRS official Lois Lerner publicly acknowledged that IRS workers had inappropriately targeted Tea Party groups seeking tax-exempt status and apologized for the behavior.

Multiple congressional committees and the Justice Department have since opened probes into the matter, but it is still unclear exactly who initiated the targeting and what the motivation was behind it.

Current and former IRS officials have said the Cincinnati office made a poor choice in using criteria such as "Tea Party" and "patriots" to sift through a flood of applications for tax-exempt status.

Obama denied knowing about the targeting before Lerner's apology on May 10 and fired Steven Miller, who was the acting head of the IRS. Lerner has been put on administrative leave.

On Wednesday, two IRS staffers were suspended because of the conference spending scandal.

Werfel said in a statement that the incident related to food that was inappropriately provided free of charge at a party inside a private suite at the conference. He said that represented a violation of government ethics standards.

J. Russell George, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, on Thursday compared IRS mismanagement at the center of the Tea Party scandal to the conference spending, saying there was a similar lack of oversight and sound judgment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The federal govt and the layers of bureaucracy in the multitude of programs is a huge, wasteful, corrupt, unaccountible nightmare and needs to be cut down to size!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

A misfired email from a U.S. Internal Revenue Service employee in Cincinnati alerted a number of Washington IRS officials that extra scrutiny was being placed on conservative groups in July 2010, a year earlier than previously acknowledged, according to interviews with IRS workers by congressional investigators.

Transcripts of the interviews, reviewed by Reuters on Thursday, provided new details about Washington managers' awareness of the heightened scrutiny applied by front-line IRS agents in Cincinnati to applications for tax-exempt status from conservative groups with words like "Tea Party" in their names.

A political furor over the practice has engulfed the tax agency for nearly a month since a senior IRS official publicly apologized for it at a conference. Since then, the IRS' chief has been fired by President Barack Obama, the FBI has mounted an investigation and Congress has held numerous hearings.

The transcripts show that in July 2010, Elizabeth Hofacre, an IRS official in Cincinnati who was coordinating "emerging issues" for the agency's tax-exempt unit, was corresponding with Washington-based IRS tax attorney Carter Hull.

In April 2010 Hofacre had been put in charge of handling tax-exempt status applications from conservative groups by her Cincinnati supervisor.

She was asked to summarize her initial findings in a spreadsheet and notify a small group of colleagues, including some staff in the Washington tax-exempt unit. However, she sent her email to a larger number of people in Washington by accident.

"Everybody in DC got it by mistake," Hofacre said in the transcripts. She later clarified that she did not mean all officials but those in the IRS Exempt Organizations Rulings and Agreements unit.

The Cincinnati office, where IRS reviews of applications for tax-exempt status were centralized, used a "be-on-the-lookout" (BOLO) list that included the words "Tea Party" and "Patriot" for flagging applications for extra review.