Ending Apartheid Just Like Ending Obamacare

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Ending Apartheid Just Like Ending Obamacare

During an appearance on Fox News Thursday night, former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) discussed the death of Nelson Mandela, saying the former South African president fought "great injustice" just like Republicans who are battling Obamacare.

"Nelson Mandela stood up against a great injustice and was willing to pay a huge price for that. That's the reason he's mourned today, because of that struggle that he performed," Santorum said. "But you're right, I mean, what he was advocating for was not necessarily the right answer, but he was fighting against some great injustice, and I would make the argument that we have a great injustice going on right now in this country with an ever-increasing size of government that is taking over and controlling people's lives, and Obamacare is front and center in that."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Ending Apartheid Just Like Ending Obamacare

"we have a great injustice going on right now in this country with an ever-increasing size of government that is taking over and controlling people's lives"

Many if not most Americans agree with that statement.

But it was at best,  inartful for Santorum to try to connect Mandela's cause to our political causes here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"we have a great injustice going on right now in this country with an ever-increasing size of government that is taking over and controlling people's lives"

But it was at best,  inartful for Santorum to try to connect Mandela's cause to our political causes here.

[/QUOTE]

I'm curious and serious.  Which freedom thats been taken by the government do you miss the most?

Is it consumer protections?

Is it a specific regulation?

Maybe you liked to smoke on a plane?

Speed limits?

Limits on the number of deer you can shoot?

I'm just throwing out a few things, but could you please list a few specific things that you could once do, and now cannot thanks to our government.....again..being serious here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm curious and serious.  Which freedom thats been taken by the government do you miss the most?

Speed limits?

I'm just throwing out a few things, but could you please list a few specific things that you could once do, and now cannot thanks to our government.....again..being serious here.

[/QUOTE]

Same freedoms the Left complained about losing during Bush's administration..

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Speed limits?

[/QUOTE]

Same freedoms the Left complained about losing during Bush's administration..

[/QUOTE]

46&2,

Specifically, which freedoms are you referring to that the left complained about losing during Bush's administration, 46&2? And which Bush...or are you referring to both of them?

[/QUOTE]

I have no idea because every time I questioned anyone who said we "lost freedoms" during Bush's admin they could never answer. Funny how when questioned they suddenly disappeared/became mute.

In case you didn't get the point....there were no lost freedoms despite many yelling that there were.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

It's hard to think of a more grotesque, inappropriate, insulting and self-serving comparison.

Mandela supported affordable health care for all.  (So do most americans and non-americans.)

Santorum and most repubs do not.

Personally, I really dread when rich, white americans try to paint themselves as oppressed in any context.  Absurd.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Freedoms? No. We lost privacy under the Bush admin. And then Obama made it worse.

[/QUOTE]

I don't feel I've lost any privacy. I mean sure...I suppose my toes feel a loss of privacy when I have to take my shoes off at the airport but other than that they don't feel any loss of privacy : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's hard to think of a more grotesque, inappropriate, insulting and self-serving comparison.

Mandela supported affordable health care for all.  (So do most americans and non-americans.)

Personally, I really dread when rich, white americans try to paint themselves as oppressed in any context.  Absurd.

[/QUOTE]

I personally don't spend one second concerning myself with what anyone like Santorum says. The only people I care about what is said is my family and friends. Other than that...pffft. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/05/i-am-obamacare-_n_4046470.html

Obamacare saves lives!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Hahahaha..sigh

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I thought we'd heard the last of Rick Sanitorium.

Yes, "Sanitorium." As in a hospital where they treat people with mental disorders.

Only a mentally disturbed person would attempt to say that Republicans are anything like Nelson Mandela.....I could see someone comparing a Republican to Archie Bunker, but Nelson Mandela?...no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I personally don't spend one second concerning myself with what anyone like Santorum says. The only people I care about what is said is my family and friends. Other than that...pffft. 

[/QUOTE]

That would certainly save a lot of time.

OK.  So, how would you respond if, say, one of your family or friends said the same thing that Rick did?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK.  So, how would you respond if, say, one of your family or friends said the same thing that Rick did?

[/QUOTE]

I would say something like...."um...yeah not quite sure it's the same thing" in the highly sarcastic manner that I'm know for. I'd also have that look you give someone when you want to convey to them that you think they just said something absurdidly stupid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

I honestly don't know how a normal person could screw up like Santorum did.  Just say something nice about Mandela on the day of his death, and then shut-up.  How hard is that?

You can only conclude that the man is not sane.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

I honestly don't know how a normal person could screw up like Santorum did.  Just say something nice about Mandela on the day of his death, and then shut-up.  How hard is that?

You can only conclude that the man not sane.

[/QUOTE]

Bit over-dramatic. Christ, it's not like he called him a child molester. Some of you are acting like he killed someone. Get a grip. It was a gaffe. Move on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would say something like...."um...yeah not quite sure it's the same thing" in the highly sarcastic manner that I'm know for. I'd also have that look you give someone when you want to convey to them that you think they just said something absurdidly stupid.

[/QUOTE]

It's your choice, of course...but I really don't see much of a distinction between saying it to your friend and saying it about Rick Santorum.

I don't put much stock in what Rick says, either, because he's demonstrated before how unhinged he can be.

The question is how much he - as a leader/elder of his party - represents the opinions of the party rank-and-file.  I think many, many repubs would disagree with him, but some wouldn't, and they would come off as just as unhinged

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bit over-dramatic. Christ, it's not like he called him a child molester. Some of you are acting like he killed someone. Get a grip. It was a gaffe. Move on.

[/QUOTE]

Was it a gaffe, really?  Because it sure sounds like Rick believes that tripe...as some around here do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's your choice, of course...but I really don't see much of a distinction between saying it to your friend and saying it about Rick Santorum.

I don't put much stock in what Rick says, either, because he's demonstrated before how unhinged he can be.

The question is how much he - as a leader/elder of his party - represents the opinions of the party rank-and-file.  I think many, many repubs would disagree with him, but some wouldn't, and they would come off as just as unhinged

[/QUOTE]

Well...as I said...I care about my friends and family therefore I care what they say and do. I don't care about blowhard politicians or radio personalities or celebirties or athletes, etc.

Hell, if I were to get upset or dread what politicans say I'd be a basket case since there doesn't seem to be a shortage of idiot politicians.

And I don't feel he or anyone else represents anyone else but themselves when they say or do something. Biden has had MANY gaffes...you know who I think he represents? Himself. End of story. I don't lump him with ANYONE else. He said it, it's HIS words not anyone elses.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Was it a gaffe, really?  Because it sure sounds like Rick believes that tripe...as some around here do.

[/QUOTE]

Well, Biden's comments always seem to be called gaffes and he believes what he says so....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

And not to be outdone, Bill O'Reilly had to stir up the base too.

“He was a communist, this man. He was a communist, all right? But he was a great man! What he did for his people was stunning!… He was a great man! But he was a communist!”

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well...as I said...I care about my friends and family therefore I care what they say and do. I don't care about blowhard politicians or radio personalities or celebirties or athletes, etc.

Hell, if I were to get upset or dread what politicans say I'd be a basket case since there doesn't seem to be a shortage of idiot politicians.

And I don't feel he or anyone else represents anyone else but themselves when they say or do something. Biden has had MANY gaffes...you know who I think he represents? Himself. End of story. I don't lump him with ANYONE else. He said it, it's HIS words not anyone elses.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  As I said, it's your choice.

My point was simply that Santorum's sentiments are disturbingly echoed by many factions on the right and their hysteria over obamacare.  If you want to chalk it up to just bad form, that's fine.

Good to know that you won't hold the left accountable for anything said by anyone on the left ever again (if you ever did).