Eric Cantor will propose a federal law that ends over time pay for hourly workers .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Eric Cantor will propose a federal law that ends over time pay for hourly workers .

Obama supports raising the minimum wage ...... now what party is trying to help the working class ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Eric Cantor will propose a federal law that ends over time pay for hourly workers .

I haven't seen this..but if it's anything like previous efforts to do this..it is a bad idea. The premise is supposed to allow for more flexibilty for time off by converting overtime hours worked into comp time which the person could then use. Comp time is never a good idea. It's difficult and annoying for employers to track..and it's use is still at the discretion of the employer.

Plus..employees generally agree to overtime for one reason and one reason only..for extra income.  Another pro business anti worker idea by Cantor...

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Eric Cantor will propose a federal law that ends over time pay for hourly workers .

Liberalcrankup ... flex time is up to the employer to approved . There is no guarantee that you will get it when you want or need it.  You cut and pasted about braces for your kids .. have  you ever paid for your kids braces .......... that is where the OT comes in .

BTW you like to spout off about Obamacare being a job killing bill .... well not being paid for OT is a real job killer , a lot of family needs the OT to buy TV's , X-mas presents, Easter present and clothes, oil changes that you needed 3000 miles ago , replacing 60,000 miles tires that have 80,000 miles on them etc .. well when the typical working class family can't afford to get those necessities it effect the local economy and the local businesses don't need as many workers to fill out their staff and they let people go and that my friend kills job.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Obama supports raising the minimum wage ...... now what party is trying to help the working class ?

Do you have a link to this story? Are all Repubs on board with this? If so, then A) it's reprehensible and B) saying it's the "party" would be true. 

If this is something that Cantor is proposing and no one else is on board then it's on him

On 2/5/13 Cantor presented a speech named " Make Life Work to American Enterprise Institute.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Do you have a link to this story? Are all Repubs on board with this? If so, then A) it's reprehensible and B) saying it's the "party" would be true. 

If this is something that Cantor is proposing and no one else is on board then it's on him

On 2/5/13 Cantor presented a speech named " Make Life Work to American Enterprise Institute.

Here is a link to his speech

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/05/full-text-eric-cantors-make-life-work-speech/

I read the entire speech and didn't see anything about proposing a federal law to end over time pay for hourly workers. The only thing I saw in regards to hourly workers is the following:

If you’re a working parent, you know there’s hardly ever enough time at home to be with the kids. Too many parents have to weigh whether they can afford to miss work even for half a day to see their child off on the first day of school or attend a parent-teacher conference.

Federal laws dating back to the 1930s make it harder for parents who hold hourly jobs to balance the demands of work and home. An hourly employee cannot convert previous overtime into future comp-time or flex-time. In 1985, Congress passed a law that gave state and municipal employees this flexibility, but today still denies that same privilege to the entire private sector. That’s not right.

There’s a police officer at home in my district, her name is Vicki. She is working a tough job, with long hours, while raising her children. Her life is made a little easier because as a local government employee, she is permitted to work some extra hours and save it up for a sick day or a school event.

Imagine if we simply chose to give all employees and employers this option. A working mom could work overtime this month and use it as time off next month without having to worry about whether she’ll be able to take home enough money to pay the rent. This is the kind of common sense legislation that should be non-controversial and moves us in the right direction to help make life work for families.

Thank you .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Fortysix and 2 in that speech he said that he wanted to propose a federal law that would end overtime for hourly wage earners.... was Cantor just spewing rhetoric to an aduience that would gladly love to end overtime or does he thinks it's good policy  ...  I think it is rhetoric myself but I find it very dangerous rhetoric.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Liberals support "choice" , except when they dont.

Sistersledge , personal retorts aside about "paying for braces" (my answer is yes, I paid for my kids braces, for what it is worth), claims that paying OT creates jobs by creating demand.

The leftist notion that money grows on trees....pay workers more, then they spend it, and the economy grows.

In 2009, the stimulus spent close to one trillion dollars, and it hurt, not helped, the US economy. Because taking money from the efficient private sector to the inefficient public sector helps Democrat special interest groups, but not the economy. 

Forcing the private sector to pay its employees a higher wage doesnt help the economy, it hurts.

The money to pay workers more grows on trees...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

As to the minimum wage, the simple fact is that most minimum wage workers are young and work part-time . It is to learn valuable job skills and enter the workplace...very few try to support a family..63% of minimum page workers are employed at higher wage jobs one year later.
    Raising the minimum wage destroys  entry level job opportunities and hurts those it is intended to help..typical of liberal policies.

Proving the point:  Democrats in Congress hire UNPAID interns...those positions are considered very valuable, as training for work experience... I guess the children of the well-connected don’t need a minimum wage, or any wage for that matter. But it’s worth noting that these champions of the downtrodden’s goal is to price young workers with no experience out of the labor market while they give their friends’ kids invaluable training.  I supposed they just want to keep things in line – the ruling class vs. the rest of us. By the time people wake up to this it will probably be too late.

Nothing like lying out your rectum for the sake of an ideological point.

Here's something you're not very familiar with...FACTS:

As of 2011, about 3.8 million hourly workers earned at or below the minimum wage, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Of these people, about 49% are women age 20 or older, 59% have a high school diploma or less, and about 24% are teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19.

chart-minimum-wage-b#E43A51

Yes the economy is so bad that adults have displaced teens for these jobs.  But these are still jobs best suited for unskilled labor and not full time.

There are a high number of part time working moms in the sservice industry; Dunkin Donuts, fast food burgers, hospitality, etc.

Banking of OT hours for future comp-time is a great deal for employees and employers.  This way labor costs remain stable although work activity can vary as required.  

The only ones who are complaining are the people who are just interested in OT and expect the employer to pay you when there is down time on off weeks.  One of my early supervisors called them gravy sucking dogs, only interested in the OT.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I would support stopping over time temporarily for govt workers!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Obviously not OBama.  He just raised taxes on the middle class 2%.

And, as far as minimum wage, I guess a smaller, static, working class is what you want?

25. This post has been removed.