ESPN analyst questions RGIII's blackness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

ESPN analyst questions RGIII's blackness

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/335623/espn-analyst-calls-rgiii-cornball-brother-because-he-may-be-republican-andrew-johnson

Racist?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: ESPN analyst questions RGIII's blackness

No, but his comments were highly ignorant and very disrespectful toward RGIII, a kid who has played up to and beyond the level of the hype he generated coming out of college, a high character guy who has by all accounts done everything the right way. 

He graduated from high school a semester early and enrolled in college in the spring semester while most of his peers were wrapping up their senior years.  He actually got a degree from Baylor and did so with a 3.6 GPA and was studying for a masters degree before being drafted by Redskins.  He has no prior issues or scandals from college, and thus far has been a model citizen in the league. 

So Rob's comments are in response to RGIII responses to questions he was asked by reporters about being a black QB in the NFL, and he has a somewhat form answer he likes to give.  Here is what he said most recently when being asked his thoughts on being a black QB:

“Whenever you can relate to the population of the team that you play for, I think it makes it that much more special,” Griffin said. “I don’t play too much into the color game, because I don’t want to be the best African American quarterback, I want to be the best quarterback.

“But to the fans, and to the fans who think that way and look at me as an African American, it’s important that I succeed, not only for this team, but for them,” he continued. “Because it gives them that motivation, that hey, you know, an African American went out and played quarterback for my Washington Redskins. So I appreciate that; I don’t ever downplay anything like that. Whoever I can go out every week and motivate to do better and to try to go after their dreams, I’m up for that.”

The answer is bland, but it is a very thoughtful and considered one.  This is apparently what Parker had a problem with. 

Rob Parker. more than most people, should know that athletes have a small window of opportunity to make money, and the elite athletes have an even smaller window because the money they can make from endorsements depend on them being in the good graces of public perception. 

There is no way Mike Vick is going to get the type of deal from Nike that he had pre dog fighting scandal.  Tiger Woods lost tens upon tens of millions of dollars following the disclosure of him cheating on his ex wife.  I am reminded of Michael Jordan's quip when asked about why he doesn't take public political positions.  He said "Republicans buy shoes too."  And really isn't that the core of the issue for someone like RGIII?  A 23 year old with a 20 million dollar pro contract, endorsement deals with Gatorade and Subway and likely bigger deals still to come from shoe companies, apparel companies, car companies, etc?  Why should he strike a "black power" pose in order to show he is an appropriate level of black to please the likes of Rob Parker.  To have street cred?  RGIII could have sustained a major injury just last week on a fluke tackle that caused his leg to whip and resulted in a ligamint sprain but could have been a ACL injury that would have shelved him for maybe an entire season. 

Rob Parker should shut the hell up.  The RGIII is posed and willing to answer difficult questions about how he fits into larger society, and Parker doesn't have to like his answers and to be honest he doesn't even have to respect his answers.  But before he goes on TV questioning a man's authenticity in any regard he'd be better served to examine who that person is before passing judgement. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

No, but his comments were highly ignorant and very disrespectful toward RGIII, a kid who has played up to and beyond the level of the hype he generated coming out of college, a high character guy who has by all accounts done everything the right way. 

He graduated from high school a semester early and enrolled in college in the spring semester while most of his peers were wrapping up their senior years.  He actually got a degree from Baylor and did so with a 3.6 GPA and was studying for a masters degree before being drafted by Redskins.  He has no prior issues or scandals from college, and thus far has been a model citizen in the league. 

So Rob's comments are in response to RGIII responses to questions he was asked by reporters about being a black QB in the NFL, and he has a somewhat form answer he likes to give.  Here is what he said most recently when being asked his thoughts on being a black QB:

“Whenever you can relate to the population of the team that you play for, I think it makes it that much more special,” Griffin said. “I don’t play too much into the color game, because I don’t want to be the best African American quarterback, I want to be the best quarterback.

“But to the fans, and to the fans who think that way and look at me as an African American, it’s important that I succeed, not only for this team, but for them,” he continued. “Because it gives them that motivation, that hey, you know, an African American went out and played quarterback for my Washington Redskins. So I appreciate that; I don’t ever downplay anything like that. Whoever I can go out every week and motivate to do better and to try to go after their dreams, I’m up for that.”

The answer is bland, but it is a very thoughtful and considered one.  This is apparently what Parker had a problem with. 

Rob Parker. more than most people, should know that athletes have a small window of opportunity to make money, and the elite athletes have an even smaller window because the money they can make from endorsements depend on them being in the good graces of public perception. 

There is no way Mike Vick is going to get the type of deal from Nike that he had pre dog fighting scandal.  Tiger Woods lost tens upon tens of millions of dollars following the disclosure of him cheating on his ex wife.  I am reminded of Michael Jordan's quip when asked about why he doesn't take public political positions.  He said "Republicans buy shoes too."  And really isn't that the core of the issue for someone like RGIII?  A 23 year old with a 20 million dollar pro contract, endorsement deals with Gatorade and Subway and likely bigger deals still to come from shoe companies, apparel companies, car companies, etc?  Why should he strike a "black power" pose in order to show he is an appropriate level of black to please the likes of Rob Parker.  To have street cred?  RGIII could have sustained a major injury just last week on a fluke tackle that caused his leg to whip and resulted in a ligamint sprain but could have been a ACL injury that would have shelved him for maybe an entire season. 

Rob Parker should shut the hell up.  The RGIII is posed and willing to answer difficult questions about how he fits into larger society, and Parker doesn't have to like his answers and to be honest he doesn't even have to respect his answers.  But before he goes on TV questioning a man's authenticity in any regard he'd be better served to examine who that person is before passing judgement. 

How is it NOT racist to say "are you one of us" or "a Cornball brother" then referencing his white wife?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Parker's comments did not espouse any ideas on racial superiority or inferiority either on the part of RGIII or his fiance.  The point he was making, albiet very clumsily, was in his opinion RGIII's comments on race seemed to be a way to distance himself from the black community and his support for that was RGIII is possibly a Republican and is marrying a white woman.  As I said, the entire idea is disrespectful and ignorant.  But Parker didn't say white people are the devil or RGIII is a black god superior to others or some such nonsense.  If you want the comments to be racist then in your opinion they will be, but I don't see it.  I see a misguided criticism that ultimately reinforces a group think idea that RGIII must behave in certain ways, do certain things to be considered "black".  No one made Parker the arbiter of "blackness" at least not in any of the black people meetings I have been to. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Parker's comments did not espouse any ideas on racial superiority or inferiority either on the part of RGIII or his fiance.  The point he was making, albiet very clumsily, was in his opinion RGIII's comments on race seemed to be a way to distance himself from the black community and his support for that was RGIII is possibly a Republican and is marrying a white woman.  As I said, the entire idea is disrespectful and ignorant.  But Parker didn't say white people are the devil or RGIII is a black god superior to others or some such nonsense.  If you want the comments to be racist then in your opinion they will be, but I don't see it.  I see a misguided criticism that ultimately reinforces a group think idea that RGIII must behave in certain ways, do certain things to be considered "black".  No one made Parker the arbiter of "blackness" at least not in any of the black people meetings I have been to. 

Ok, but in my opinion when some one starts the us and them (black and white) ignorance it is racial and divisive! He was claerly offended that RGIII is not behaving more black or is behaving too white and that is being bigotted and ignorant in my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I don't see "us and them" in his comments, since he was talking about race as a broader concept.  RGIII's dad commented in on it and he didn't feel the comments were racist, but did feel they were out of line. 

I think people will draw the conclusions they want to see.  NRO is saying Parker made his comments because RGIII may be a republican.  Others will see the reference to his fiancee and say its racist because Parker doesn't like that he is marrying a white woman.  To each their own, I can only tell you what I think from my perspective as a black guy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I don't see "us and them" in his comments, since he was talking about race as a broader concept.  RGIII's dad commented in on it and he didn't feel the comments were racist, but did feel they were out of line. 

I think people will draw the conclusions they want to see.  NRO is saying Parker made his comments because RGIII may be a republican.  Others will see the reference to his fiancee and say its racist because Parker doesn't like that he is marrying a white woman.  To each their own, I can only tell you what I think from my perspective as a black guy. 

My perspective as an American is that as long as we constantly look at things through "Black and White"; he acts too white or isnt black enough or he's a white acting black etc it will just continue to push the day we can all be truly just human beings and equal in OUR minds down the road farther!

He was refering to is he one of "us or them".

Maybe because it was a black guy talking about a black guy it's not offensive to black people?

Kind of like black people use the N word but, if a non-black person does it's viewed as racist a majority of the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

As I said, I find Parkers comments offensive and ignorant.  RGIII doesn't owe him or anyone else an explanation regarding how he views the world, his race, or whatever else.  He is athlete paid large sums of money to play a game, that Parker feels RGIII has to declare where he falls in terms of blackness is absurd and as a result the backlash has been universal. 

I think his comments are offensive to everyone, blacks included, but the comments need not be deemed racist for me, or anyone else for that matter, to find them off putting and way out of bounds.  Because really the logical conclusion to Parkers comments are not "racist",  what he seemed to be getting and asking without saying it was is RGIII a real black guy (whatever that means) or an uncle tom.  That's not racism, but it is highly HIGHLY derogatory and unprofessional.  I don't know if he should be fired, but to me that was the intent his comments were driving towards. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

So, calling someone an "Uncle Tom" is not racist?

It's slandering someone for cooporating or getting along with another race.

How is that not racist?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I think I've covered my thoughts on this as best as I am willing to.  Suffice to say, I don't see racism here, but if you do, then more power to you. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I don't think he was calling RG3 an Uncle Tom.  He was calling him an Oreo.  Huge difference.

An Uncle Tom is a black person that does the White Man's bidding.  He's the black person who fits the image that racist white people have of black people and then swears that there isn't any racism, and if there is, it's the black man's fault.   Think Herman Cain.

An Oreo is a black person that is black on the outside but white on the inside.  Kind of like the Black version of a RINO.

Rob Parker's comments weren't racist.  But in some ways, they are worst than racist.

If it's wrong for white people to tell/expect black people to act more white, then it's wrong for a black person to tell another black person to act less white.  This is worst than racist because he's also a hypocrite.

People are people.  They have a right to be who they are.  In my opinion, RG3 trying to act more black would be the ultimate sin, because that would make him a poser.

And speaking of posers - Rob Parker has no business getting paid for speaking into a microphone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

A lot of folks use Uncle Tom and Oreo interchangeably, forgetting that Uncle Tom has a more sinister and hurtful origin than oreo which every race has some version of.  Either way, the logical conclusion to Parkers comment arrives at one of those two terms. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

The pathetic Redskins have been the anti-Patriots for many years, with their clueless owner doing everything wrong, signing big money free agent duds like McNab ,  and never building a solid team.  This Pats fan has had much fun at the expense of Redskin Nation here in Virginia.

Along these lines, I thought RG3 would be another overhyped dud. Couldnt have been more wrong. He has been awesome on the field, a team leader; and watching interviews, the kid has his head screwed on straight. He is also very funny. He is as charismatic and popular as Tim Tebow was last year, except RG3 can throw the ball on target 60 yards with a flick of the wrist.

His answer was perfect when asked if he "feared" playing QB in the NFL; "I fear God".  

Not surprised RG3 would be dissed by the usual race panderers and jealous talking heads. RG3 is the real deal, just hope he has learned to run out of bounds to avoid injury,  and ignore the out of bounds liberal airheads.

If RG3 is a Republican, watch out, though morons like  Dirty Water Lover will call him an "Uncle Tom",  RG3 may be a threat to the barely-reelected "17 trillion dollar deficits" President. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

problem with RGIII to many of sports media who are black is that RGIII does not conduct himself like Pacman Jones, Cam Newton, or a host of other black pro athletes of thuggy behavior.

Many of the sports media who are black, are themselves either thuggy and/or just looking for more airtime for themselves for making a race related comment.

To me---pro athletes such as Paman Jones, Cam Newton, J Russell, etc, etc simply perpetuate the 'n' word stereotype of blacks.

And it seems that many blacks are of the attitude that in order to prove themselves as great blacks do so thru anti-social behavior.

RGIII is very much black. the type of black who is not called 'ni' by majority of blacks who are socially responsible.

I see RGIII as a Jackie Robinson in way he conducts himself by the highest standards of American society. And in doing so is respected by majority of blacks as well as whites

Sections
Shortcuts