Everyday Low Wages

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Everyday Low Wages

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

The average Costco worker made about $45,000 per year, Fortune reports. By comparison, Walmart-owned Sam’s Club, a Costco competitor, pays its workers $17,486 per year, according to salary information site Glassdoor.com.

What’s more, Costco has continued to pay its workers decently even in the face of pressure to stop. Ever since the company went public in 1985, Wall Street investors have urged Costco executives to lower wages and cut health benefits, which are also relatively generous, according to Businessweek. Instead, the company’s former CEO and co-founder gave workers a raise every three years.

Costco’s insistence on treating its workers well hasn’t come at the expense of the company’s bottom line. The retailer’s profit jumped 19 percent to $459 million last quarter, while Walmart’s sales suffered during the same period.

In addition, Target, another Costco competitor, slashed its earnings forecast for the year after its profits suffered because customers cut back. Costco reported Thursday that last month's same-store sales grew 5 percent

Have you ever been to a Costco..? I belong to one and the difference between Costco and Walmart is amazing. The cleanliness and quality one can find in Costco just can't be matched at Walmart. The employees are always happy, friendly and knowledgeable.

I think if more people understood the power of their own spending they would stop shopping at places like Walmart. I stopped shopping there a while ago when I found about the games they play with workers. I choose not to support what Walmart stands for..both with their products and their policies.

I also go to COSTCO, and haven't been in a Walmart for years.  However, this idea that Walmart is shiftring the burden onto the taxpayers is simply foolish.

Besides, let's just say that's what Walmart is doing.  Are not the Walmart employees being made whole?  After all, government is taking care of them. That is the progressive goal, is it not? Taking care of people because they can't take care of themselves?   It is the whole reason for every expansion of government, including Obamacare. 

I thought that progressives would be cheering this type of activity on, not condemning it.

Skeeter..at least you now admit that is what WalMart is doing! I consider it progress. I guess the only difference is that I would like to see it change. I would like for Walmart employees not to have to rely on the government to be "made whole" as you say. I would like for Sam's kids to be a little less greedy and pay their employees a living wage.

Also..remember what I've said time and again..cheap prices often come at a higher cost to society.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Comparing Costco to Walmart is ridiculous. They are completely different stores with different operating requirements. They target different clientele.

If you want to make a comparison that is valid, compare the wages of people doing the same job with the same responsibilities at both companies. 

No one is forcing the people at walmart to work there. If they cannot get a higher paying job elsewhere, then they only have themselves to blame. If they find themselves in a circumstance (like some kind of physical or mental handicap) where they do not have much of a choice then in reality, WalMart is subsiudizing the government programs, not the other way around.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

The average Costco worker made about $45,000 per year, Fortune reports. By comparison, Walmart-owned Sam’s Club, a Costco competitor, pays its workers $17,486 per year, according to salary information site Glassdoor.com.

What’s more, Costco has continued to pay its workers decently even in the face of pressure to stop. Ever since the company went public in 1985, Wall Street investors have urged Costco executives to lower wages and cut health benefits, which are also relatively generous, according to Businessweek. Instead, the company’s former CEO and co-founder gave workers a raise every three years.

Costco’s insistence on treating its workers well hasn’t come at the expense of the company’s bottom line. The retailer’s profit jumped 19 percent to $459 million last quarter, while Walmart’s sales suffered during the same period.

In addition, Target, another Costco competitor, slashed its earnings forecast for the year after its profits suffered because customers cut back. Costco reported Thursday that last month's same-store sales grew 5 percent

Have you ever been to a Costco..? I belong to one and the difference between Costco and Walmart is amazing. The cleanliness and quality one can find in Costco just can't be matched at Walmart. The employees are always happy, friendly and knowledgeable.

I think if more people understood the power of their own spending they would stop shopping at places like Walmart. I stopped shopping there a while ago when I found about the games they play with workers. I choose not to support what Walmart stands for..both with their products and their policies.

I also go to COSTCO, and haven't been in a Walmart for years.  However, this idea that Walmart is shiftring the burden onto the taxpayers is simply foolish.

Besides, let's just say that's what Walmart is doing.  Are not the Walmart employees being made whole?  After all, government is taking care of them. That is the progressive goal, is it not? Taking care of people because they can't take care of themselves?   It is the whole reason for every expansion of government, including Obamacare. 

I thought that progressives would be cheering this type of activity on, not condemning it.

Skeeter..at least you now admit that is what WalMart is doing! I consider it progress. I guess the only difference is that I would like to see it change. I would like for Walmart employees not to have to rely on the government to be "made whole" as you say. I would like for Sam's kids to be a little less greedy and pay their employees a living wage.

Also..remember what I've said time and again..cheap prices often come at a higher cost to society.

No, I don't admit it.  I was stipulating to make the point at how foolish the progressive opinion is here.

Another example:  So, if people in the employ leave Walmart, does the government subsidy of Medicare, etc. go away?  Of course not.  It stays with the person.  WalMart has nothing to do with it.

Yet another example of how intellectually dishonest the left is about Walmart.  Which I still don't intent to visit soon.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

The average Costco worker made about $45,000 per year.

Since Obamacare provides tax subsidies to families making up to $85,000 per year, by the moonbat logic,  it is clear the taxpayers are subsidizing the moocher company Costco.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"a different type of person typically works at Costco. Most Costco associates are more physically fit than many Wal-Mart employees and their jobs are more physical. Costco is a warehouse store, and associates have jobs that involve lifting large, bulk packages and other items.

People not familiar with business planning could see a difference in the chart in that Wal-Mart’s labor and overhead costs are 19.5%, while Costco’s are very low, only 9.6%. Many Wal-Marts are open 24 hours, while Costco has limited hours. Costco is a warehouse store which keeps overhead low. Wal-Mart isn’t the fanciest store in the world, but its costs in stocking, maintenance and inventory management have to be much higher than Costco’s."

Wal-Mart is too large a multinational corporation to begin to evaluate in a brief article. The company has made positive progress in providing associates with improved pay and benefits in recent years, and is aware of the problems it faces in terms of maintaining profitability and the serious issue of employee retention. With 2.1 million employees, they have a completely different workforce situation than Costco, with 160,000 employees. The situation is not that Wal-Mart is an exceptionally bad company. It’s that Costco is an excellent one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

Comparing Costco to Walmart is ridiculous. They are completely different stores with different operating requirements. They target different clientele.

If you want to make a comparison that is valid, compare the wages of people doing the same job with the same responsibilities at both companies. 

No one is forcing the people at walmart to work there. If they cannot get a higher paying job elsewhere, then they only have themselves to blame. If they find themselves in a circumstance (like some kind of physical or mental handicap) where they do not have much of a choice then in reality, WalMart is subsiudizing the government programs, not the other way around.

They are forcing People to work there, and then they are forcing them into government programs.

didn't you read the article?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

We know that. What we don't know is what a worker at Costco gets paid for the same job responsibilities as someone at WalMart. If Walmart requires more lower skilled workers to work their store than Costco, then of course you would expect the AVERAGE there to be lower.

What does a person stocking the shelves at Walmart get paid compared to the person who does the same job at Costco???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"a different type of person typically works at Costco. Most Costco associates are more physically fit than many Wal-Mart employees and their jobs are more physical. Costco is a warehouse store, and associates have jobs that involve lifting large, bulk packages and other items.

People not familiar with business planning could see a difference in the chart in that Wal-Mart’s labor and overhead costs are 19.5%, while Costco’s are very low, only 9.6%. Many Wal-Marts are open 24 hours, while Costco has limited hours. Costco is a warehouse store which keeps overhead low. Wal-Mart isn’t the fanciest store in the world, but its costs in stocking, maintenance and inventory management have to be much higher than Costco’s."

Wal-Mart is too large a multinational corporation to begin to evaluate in a brief article. The company has made positive progress in providing associates with improved pay and benefits in recent years, and is aware of the problems it faces in terms of maintaining profitability and the serious issue of employee retention. With 2.1 million employees, they have a completely different workforce situation than Costco, with 160,000 employees. The situation is not that Wal-Mart is an exceptionally bad company. It’s that Costco is an excellent one.

You really should pay more attention to your fellow ideologues.

Or do the rules change whenever you wingnuts want to drag the goalposts off to another field?

"Comparing Costco to Walmart is ridiculous." - Hansoribrother

He is tellin gyou why the comparison of average worker wages between Costco and WalMart is bogus.

You have to wonder why people would even make such a comparison.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Who's forcing these people to work at Walmart???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Who's forcing these people to work at Walmart???

Republicans and conservatives.  Isn't that obvious?

We hire out busses and drive around the inner city, dragooning people off the streets and force them to work at Walmart.  But, in an act of compassion, we stop at the welfare office so they can sign up for Medicaid. 

At least, that's what the article implies.

Sections
Shortcuts