Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case

In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Firewind: As to those interesting maneuvers by George Zimmerman, one of those, before he was arrested today of course, was asking for donations on his website with the American flag as a backdrop. He also tells the story of his life since the death of Trayvon Martin, and even quotes such figures as Ibsen and Thomas Paine. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-201204111215usnewsusnwr201204100410whisper2apr11,0,548382.story
    Posted by andiejen[/QUOTE]

Man enough to feel like a tough guy when he is armed chasing around kids but not man enough to pay his own bills, so he solicits donations from strangers, what a tough guy.

I seriously wonder what would compell any human being to find Zimmerman to be such a sympathetic figure that they need to give this guy money. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Well there's obviously no way it's a BDC monitor. I curse at least once in about 80% of my posts, and only a very few have vanished over time. Of course, I tend to think there are multiple people pulling this stupid bullsh!t to p!ss eachother off. And undoubtedly, some people are deleting their own posts after the fact to fan the flames. f**king A.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I think you hit the nail right on the head..on all counts. I learn from every experience..good or bad..and one thing I've learned over the past few months is that in these online forums..people post for all sort of reasons. For me..it's a bit of a hobby..a way to work out my own thoughts and opinions...and if I am being perfectly honest as a sociology major I enjoy seeing the patterns of interaction and personalities.
    The other thing I've learned is that some posters love to play games. That will never stop. The only thing we can do is choose whether or not to play .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Man enough to feel like a tough guy when he is armed chasing around kids but not man enough to pay his own bills, so he solicits donations from strangers, what a tough guy. I seriously wonder what would compell any human being to find Zimmerman to be such a sympathetic figure that they need to give this guy money. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I wonder as well.. I hear on the news that he is about to face second degree murder charges.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

One question...I wonder if there will be ramifications for the way the Sanford PD handled the case..in light of the fact that there are now charges..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : I wonder as well.. I hear on the news that he is about to face second degree murder charges.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

miscricket:

As I posted earlier, Angela Corey, the special prosecutor, has scheduled a press conference for 6pm to discuss the charges against Zimmerman.

She decided to forgo the grand jury route and go straight for an indictment. The most severe charge he can face is second degree murder which carries a life in prison sentence in Florida.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : OMG...that is just too funny...sounds like me on a Monday morning ...lol Okay..but to be serious..who cares what kind of language someone uses..really? I have said many time over the years that if someone doesn't like my posts..they are free to pass them by.

miscricket:

Not to beat a dead horse, but some people are truly offended by profanity, vulgarity, etc., as well as vulgar uploaded pictures. Now you may not be, but that is you.

If you cannot make your point(s) without them, then you cannot make your point anyway.

I know from a now removed thread, that skeeter for one believes posts with profanities should be removed.

If I wanted to post on a site without any rules I would. It is just not as easy as passing it by when you are following and contributing to a thread. And this is Boston.com, not some dive bar or someone's private living room, where the homeowners basically sets the conduct for their guests.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]One question...I wonder if there will be ramifications for the way the Sanford PD handled the case..in light of the fact that there are now charges..

miscricket:

I will of course defer to WDYWN who is currently practicing criminal law and Reuben who practiced criminal law for a long time.

But ramifications could be of several types. There of course could be an investigation by Internal Affairs.

There could be a criminal suit against one or more members of the Sanford Police Dept.

And in a probable civil suit against Zimmerman, one or more members of the Sanford Police Dept. could also be included. This would never take place until after the criminal trial of course.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : miscricket: Not to beat a dead horse, but some people are truly offended by profanity, vulgarity, etc., as well as vulgar uploaded pictures. Now you may not be, but that is you. If you cannot make your point(s) without them, then you cannot make your point anyway. I know from a now removed thread, that skeeter for one believes posts with profanities should be removed. If I wanted to post on a site without any rules I would. It is just not as easy as passing it by when you are following and contributing to a thread. And this is Boston.com, not some dive bar or someone's private living room, where the homeowners basically sets the conduct for their guests.

I get that..and I don't mean to imply that one way or the other is better..just that it's not an important enough issue for me to pay attention to. In the real world..I feel differently in general..although some of my best friends are women who swear like truck drivers and laugh at me for using phrases like "the F word"..but in an online politics forum..? ehh..it doesn't bother me. In some cases it actually enhances one's point.
    By the way..you might be interested to know that there are political discussion forums out there that are very closely moderated and "offensive" language not permitted. One is US Politics online..which is another forum I participate in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Angela Corey is doing a fantastic job explaining the ins and outs of what is to come. Trayvon's family is fortunate to have Angela in their court. My faith in the judicial system took a step forward.
    Posted by msobstinate99[/QUOTE]
    I had confidence in her from the get go. In watching previous interviews with her and reading up on her..she seems like an incredibly fair and compassionate person.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : miscricket: I will of course defer to WDYWN who is currently practicing criminal law and Reuben who practiced criminal law for a long time. But ramifications could be of several types. There of course could be an investigation by Internal Affairs. There could be a criminal suit against one or more members of the Sanford Police Dept. And in a probable civil suit against Zimmerman, one or more members of the Sanford Police Dept. could also be included. This would never take place until after the criminal trial of course.

Okay..thanks..If any good can come out of this situation then I hope that there is a full and complete investigation into the authorities' handling of this situation. To me..Zimmerman seems like a troubled person and a bit of a loose cannon...but if the Sanford PD acted inappropriately then that is a bigger deal i the sense of justice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : 1. In massachusetts there is a case, Commonwealth v. Bowden, which says that the defendant can always argue to the jury that the police failure to conduct an appropriate investigation creates a reasonable doubt about guilt, and the judge has discretion to give an insturction to that effect, but may not bar the defendant from arguing it anyway. If FL doesn't have such a rule, I'd be trying to raise it all the way to the USSC if necessary. Due process right to present a defense if I've ever seen it. 2. Other ramifications? Well, if the public gets pissed off enough there are. We've already seen the chief cop step aside because of it. 3. Internal Affairs. Nah. Those guys exist to help the police cover-up things people complain about before said people get to court. But See #2. 4. Civil Suit: Now I'm just thinking back to a class on federal courts, but this seems very unlikely. As for suing individual police officers, I think they are almost certain to get absolute or qualified immunity - I can't remember which in this situation - because they were acting within the scope of their official authority. As for suing the township (can't sue the police station, wouldn't make sense anyway), it would have to be for failure to train the police in a way to avoid this situation, I believe. Something to that effect. 0.0000001% win. Basically, suing the police only works if a five year old could tell you the police officer did something illegal. I forget the standard, but it is very lenient - it has to be blindingly obvious to a reasonable person that what the officer did was wrong/illegal.

It's difficult to know what the facts of the case are...but it seems to me that if the investigation were delayed then couldn't you argue that evidence is tainted..etc. For example..did they every confiscate the gun..run any tests on it? Although the prosecutor seems pretty confident...nothing surprises me anymore.
    If it turns out that Zimmerman was given preferential treatment and that the authorities turned the other cheek because his father was a judge..does that change things?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Given the number of combo curse moves I have directed skeeter's way without diappearance, I have a hard time believing he reported a thread for profanity. Here: Skeeter, you are a f**king imbecile. You put the guy who won Monty Python's biggest twit contest by successfully running himself over with a car to shame, ya sh!t-headed *sshat!

WDYWN:

Very amusing. I am just saying what skeeter himself said in a thread. I cannot pull up his post because the thread was removed. 

I am sorry you cannot understand some people are very offended by huge amounts of profanity, etc. Some very good posters here make their points without ever going over that line. Reuben is one of them. Firewind. Thesemenarecowards. bobcatsr.

Other posters, now knowing I will not respond if they debate me with that kind of language, now do not use that language when they are discussing or debating an issue with me, even if they use it with other posters.

Because of the nature of my household, profanity is not allowed. You would not expect to come into a home with children and speak the way you post. Your freedom of speech stops at the homeowner's doorstep. If you do not like that, so be it. 

Personally, I truly think this is a dead horse. I think we just need to agree to disagree regarding profanity, etc., in the forums. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Yes. That is exactly what a Bowden argument looks like - failure to do scientific/medical tests, failure to investigate leads, etc. When the defendant says this to the jury, the prosecutor is guaranteed to get up and try to push the jury away from those thoughts --- they will say things like "oh, look at that dirty defense lawyer, trying to put the police on trial. The police aren't on trial. The defendant is." So, obviously, it would really help in most of such cases if the defendant also has evidence someone else might have done it. Here, the defense won't have that problem, because the police failures revolve around a failure to investigate Zimmerman's injuries, and who knows what else they did or did not do at the scene.

Okay..that's kind of what I was thinking. Like for example..if they never ran tests on the gun..then what's to stop the defense from saying that "hey..Treyvon reached for the gun..had his hands on it..etc"..then that kind of changes things.
    I am incredibly glad that they brought charges ..but truth be told..if I were on a jury and the prosecutor didn't have that kind of scientific or physical evidence..then I would have a hard time voting for a conviction.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : I get that..and I don't mean to imply that one way or the other is better..just that it's not an important enough issue for me to pay attention to. In the real world..I feel differently in general..although some of my best friends are women who swear like truck drivers and laugh at me for using phrases like "the F word"..but in an online politics forum..? ehh..it doesn't bother me. In some cases it actually enhances one's point. By the way..you might be interested to know that there are political discussion forums out there that are very closely moderated and "offensive" language not permitted. One is US Politics online..which is another forum I participate in.

miscricket:

Thank you for that lead as well as your response. Another more closely monitored site is HuffingtonPost.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

George Zimmerman's former lawyers have now spoken out on their decision to leave him.

The link below leads to an article that speaks to this as well as containing a clip from tht TODAY show, on which they appeared discussing Zimmerman and their decision to leave him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

George Zimmerman has indeed been charged with the most severe charge he could have been. Second degree murder. He is in custody being held at an unknown location for his safety.

His new lawyer stated Zimmerman will plead not guilty to the charge.

Since this case will be tried in state court, cameras could be allowed at the discretion of the judge.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]"I did not report your post. I have never reported a post of yours. I would never report a post of yours. Your speculation that someone else did hoping you would think it was me could be what happened." I know perfectly well, so I didn't accuse you directly. "Something to draw a wedge between us." I really don't see anything here as alliances between posters. If I disagree with someone, I say it. If I agree with someone, I may or may not say anything depending on whether I have anything to add. But I certainly don't bring into my agreement or disagreement any considerations of who has agreed with me in the past. In short, we're all just random anonymous people here, not factions. Hell, I've even agreed with skeeter in the past. Broken clocks, and all that.

WDYWN:

I like your broken clocks and all reference. As for my wedge remark, I did not mean we had some sort of alliance. While you operate independently, I do not believe all posters here do. Little groups get formed that I believe you may just not notice.

I wiil agree with anyone if I believe they are right. And I have. 

Glad we are good on your deleted post.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

George Zimmerman is currently being held in the Seminole County jail. 

As for where the case goes from here, Angela Corey has stated that the case will be ready for trial in three weeks. Zimmerman of course is standing trial, having been charged with second degree murder, for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin back on February 26th.

For the reaction of the family, as well as statements from the lawyers, you can go to the below link.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : A murder trial, ready in three weeks? Is practice completely different in Florida? Someone's life is on the line. These things easily take a year or two to prepare because your duty is to track down everything that isn't crazy. 3 weeks. It's like a heart surgeon not bothering to check the x-ray or insulin levels before surgery!
    Zimmerman is currently secluded in Seminole County Jail in Florida after he turned himself in to authorities on Wednesday. In less than three weeks, special prosecutor Angela Corey concluded that Zimmerman, 28, should stand trial for murder in the second degree for the shooting of the unarmed Martin, 17, on Feb. 26 .

WDYWN:

I am sorry. I knew that was a really short timeline. Above is what that article really said. That is it took Corey less than 3 weeks to conclude Zimmerman should stand trial etc.

Not an excuse but a reason for my error was I had just been upset by something when I pulled that article. Thank you for catching my error so quickly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Yesterday morning on the news, I heard part of the 911 call that I had not heard before, which was supposedly released. In it , Zimmerman sounds pretty pissed and angry. Could this be part of the reason that the prosecutor went for 2nd degree murder?..that he wasn't just pursuing Treyvon..but he was angry.