Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case

In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : If you want to parse words....ok he was brought in, <no status as if he was officiallly arrested...just handcuffed />, he wasn't arraigned nor was he held. The people who speak about him bering arrested MAY (can't read minds) be thinking that an ARREST may mean detained. They MAY mean booked. I don't know but if you want to think that bringing him in the way he was and then released WITH THE GUN and with the video that he was certainly not brought in as any police procedure would require - meant he "wasn't arrested" - Sure, hang on that but its sure a sorry spot to place one's self. The rest about justice...sure let it roll - Sharpton and others have only been speaking about justice, not revenge, not race-baiting - if you see otherwise, I know you are watching with RW "bubble eyes".
    Posted by dcr400m[/QUOTE]
    Ask What if they ever took a potential defendant to the station for questioning and released him because they didn't have a strong enough case at that point. They followed procedure by cuffing him and questioning him. If there is no evidence, they let him go until they gather enough to make a case in front of a judge. Judges require a little more than the Rev. Al! Just being half-white doesn't make one guilty for them, usually.
    My post was to someone who claimed the police never detained or arrested Zimmerman.
    Can I borrow your rose colored glasses? Sharpton isn't calling for justice. He is calling for the arrest and conviction of Zimmerman regardless of the evidence! To the point of trying to intimidate Sanford police by threatening to shut down the city!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Pursuing a person with no authority may in fact have triggered Trayvon's only self-defense rights - Zimmerman (logically to all but many of you) waived self defense when he was told to stand down but decided to pursue. That is a fact thanks to the call. It is NOT a hate crime until one can determine if that same statement if he used the racial epithet many believe he made but has not been proven without a shadow of a doubt. I don't think its a hate crime (yet) but the behavior from conservatives and the right wing who have done everything they can to attack the victim....yeah thats racism ....as it has malice.
    Posted by dcr400m[/QUOTE]
    Wrong! You or I can make a citizens arrest if we see a crime occur. You or I can follow someone all day as long as we don't interfere with their freedom of movement etc. Until the shooting, nothing Zimmerman did was illegal.
    According to Zimmerman, he stopped following after the police told him to. He claims to have been heading BACK to his vehicle when attacked.
    NOTHING here has been proven beyond a shadow of doubt except that a young man is dead and was shot by Zimmerman. Everything else is open to debate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Yes I said it it into a racial issue; where is your sense of due process or do you just have convenient Spike Lee or Doprah outrage because the story meets your biases?  If anything I think people are more uneasy with a hoodie hoodlum look then the racial issues.  Just watch the 6:00 news, how often do you see the crappy video from behind the counter of a convenience store with a robber with a hoodie. Have you noticed the signs in most banks that require the removal of hats, hoodies and sun glasses to be served?  Are these hate signs, are they responsible for reinforcing a stereotype? I read an opinion piece by Bill Bennett (link below) after I made my post this morning.  It's the most even handed article I've read to date on this case. http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/opinion/bennett-trayvon-martin/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]
    Excellent article! Basically what many of us have been saying here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Careful doing it, though. Whether you can, and what force you can use, depends on misdemeanor vs. felony, and other circumstances.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]
    Agree which is why I put in the as long as you don't impede his movements etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Ignoring the impact of race in this case is the cowards route.  Calling people "race baiters" for discussing race is the cowards route. 

Not really sure how this turned to a discussion of "citizens arrest", since the victim was guilty of no crime.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]Ignoring the impact of race in this case is the cowards route.  Calling people "race baiters" for discussing race is the cowards route.  Not really sure how this turned to a discussion of "citizens arrest", since the victim was guilty of no crime.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    Maybe that is your problem! You try to keep moving the goal posts to the discussion. You said Zimmerman was following Martin with no authority. I said ANY citizen can follow any other just for the joy of it! And even detain them if they witness a criminal act. Also can you point out where I ever used the phrase "race baiters"?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]Ignoring the impact of race in this case is the cowards route.  Calling people "race baiters" for discussing race is the cowards route.  Not really sure how this turned to a discussion of "citizens arrest", since the victim was guilty of no crime.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    BTW - What about the "impact of race" when @93% of all black males murdered in this country are killed by other blacks? That doesn't seem to get the Rev. Sharpton's goat like a white-Hispanic shooting 1 black youth! Why do you think that might be? Nor does the call by the NBP's to kill all white babies seem to get his or the POTUS's goat. Nor does the NBP's call to capture and illegally detain a man not yet charged of any crime. Hmmm wonder why that would be... Explain to me again that Sharpton is "just looking for justice"! Bull pucky!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Maybe that is your problem! You try to keep moving the goal posts to the discussion. You said Zimmerman was following Martin with no authority. I said ANY citizen can follow any other just for the joy of it! And even detain them if they witness a criminal act. Also can you point out where I ever used the phrase "race baiters"?
    Posted by brat13[/QUOTE]

I never said it was you, I wasn't replying to your post.  Self obsessed much?

And you're absolutely wrong about people being able to follow others for "the joy of it".  Stalking, intimidation, and assault are all laws that prevent such behavior.  Yes, assault can simply be the threat of violence.  You really just say stuff with no concern for whether or not it is true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In another twist in this case, under the rules of criminal procedure in Florida, if George Zimmerman is not arrested, booked and charged regarding the circumstances of Trayvon Martin's death within 175 days of the night the police took him into custody, then released him, Zimmerman can NEVER be criminally charged in the death of Martin.

All that is needed to do that is probable cause. And the clock is most definitely ticking in Florida.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Maybe that is your problem! You try to keep moving the goal posts to the discussion. You said Zimmerman was following Martin with no authority. I said ANY citizen can follow any other just for the joy of it! And even detain them if they witness a criminal act. Also can you point out where I ever used the phrase "race baiters"?
    Posted by brat13[/QUOTE]

Any person can follow any other just for the joy of it?

Try this on for size:  General Laws Chapter 265 Section 43A. (a) Whoever willfully and maliciously engages in a knowing pattern of conduct or series of acts over a period of time directed at a specific person, which seriously alarms that person and would cause a reasonable person to suffer substantial emotional distress, shall be guilty of the crime of criminal harassment and shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 21/2 years or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

So it depends on intent, pattern of conduct and a reasonable reaction of distress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Any person can follow any other just for the joy of it? Try this on for size:  General Laws Chapter 265 Section 43A. (a) Whoever willfully and maliciously engages in a knowing pattern of conduct or series of acts over a period of time directed at a specific person, which seriously alarms that person and would cause a reasonable person to suffer substantial emotional distress, shall be guilty of the crime of criminal harassment and shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 21/2 years or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment. So it depends on intent, pattern of conduct and a reasonable reaction of distress.
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

Reubenhop:

Of course this is correct. And may I add, I, esp. as a woman, am very glad that any citizen CANNOT legally follow another citizen just for the joy of it.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Rev Al will do anything for attention...if he incites riots will he be prosecuted???  It's his intention to cause violence in the streets. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : God you`re head is so far up your a$$ it must be embarrassing for you.  You`re comparing the size of a Sarah Palin book-signing crowd to a BLATANT ATTEMPT at race-baiting by NBC NEWS????? You should be ashamed you freakin` dirt-ball!    Hannity is an entertainer, like Colbert.
    Posted by jmel[/QUOTE]

Comparing Hannity to Colbert is a bit of a stretch.  One gives political opinions supposedly based on fact, the other is a comedian who pokes fun at people like Hannity.  But they both project what is bad about conservatism. Only one does this intentionally.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evidence in the Trayvon Martin case : Neither one is a reliable news-man.
    Posted by jmel[/QUOTE]

Well, that is true.  But Hannity pretends to do so and many people take him as a reliable newsman.  Colbert is different on both scores.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts