Fast Food Worker Protests Have Gone Global

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Fast Food Worker Protests Have Gone Global

"Even though fast food workers have staged several one-day strikes in the last 18 months, the protests have not swayed McDonald’s or other major restaurant chains to significantly raise their employees’ pay.

So on Thursday, the fast food workers’ movement wants to broaden its reach as it pushes for a $15-an-hour wage that restaurant companies say is unrealistic. In addition to one-day strikes in 150 cities across the country, the movement’s leaders hope to take their cause global. They say support protests will take place in 80 cities in more than 30 countries, from Dublin to Venice to Casablanca to Seoul to Panama City.

Over the last decade as American labor unions have declined in membership and power, they have increasingly turned to unions in Europe and Asia to help pressure companies overseas to stop battling organizing drives at their United States units. And now the fast food movement, underwritten by the Service Employees International Union, is embracing a similar strategy as it struggles to gain influence with the fast food giants.

Protesters at a Burger King in Boston in December. Labor is using its influence overseas to support American workers. Credit Stephan Savoia/Associated Press
    “It’s a global economy, so they’re saying, ‘Why not go overseas to make it into a global fight?’ ” said Lowell Turner, a professor of international labor relations at Cornell University. “They’re trying to create a global protest movement.”

The movement’s organizers say there will be protests in 30 cities in Japan, 20 in Britain, five in Brazil and three in India. The effort’s strategists point to some fast-growing overseas markets as vulnerable targets for corporations like McDonald’s that have begun relying more heavily on foreign revenue now that domestic fast food sales have languished."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/business/fast-food-protests-spread-overseas.html?_r=0" rel="nofollow">http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/business/fast-food-protests-spread-overseas.html?_r=0

Yes, please.  I'll take fries with that right of labor to organize.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Fast Food Worker Protests Have Gone Global

Go on permanent strike. Maybe the companies will go out of business and people will be forced to actually eat..gasp...healthy. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

These radical leftist unions are political opportunists and dont give a french fry about the real worker's lives. Most who work at McD's are young, or retired, or in school, or working while looking for better opportunities. The  job is temporary and helps for a while, and gives young people job skills. Those who make a career there, will move up to management.

Raise the cost of the entry level jobs, and the jobs will disappear. Fast food restaurants will more quickly switch to automation, which is inevitable anyway. The SEIU is a bunch of radical thugs, they only care about their raw political power.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These radical leftist unions are political opportunists and dont give a french fry about the real worker's lives. Most who work at McD's are young, or retired, or in school, or working while looking for better opportunities. The  job is temporary and helps for a while, and gives young people job skills. Those who make a career there, will move up to management.

Raise the cost of the entry level jobs, and the jobs will disappear. Fast food restaurants will more quickly switch to automation, which is inevitable anyway. The SEIU is a bunch of radical thugs, they only care about their raw political power.

[/QUOTE]

So true.

but, the left is of an entitlement mindset. You are owed a living.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Go on permanent strike. Maybe the companies will go out of business and people will be forced to actually eat..gasp...healthy. 

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

I just like it when labor comes together and challenges the status quo.

$15/hour may be a pipe dream in most places, but $10/hour plus better conditions isn't too much to ask.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

$15/hour may be a pipe dream in most places, but $10/hour plus better conditions isn't too much to ask.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah..my post was dripping with sarcasm. Clearly we as a country would never opt to eat healthy over being gluttonous pigs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but, the left is of an entitlement mindset. You are owed a living.

[/QUOTE]

No, and nobody here said that...

...but workers deserve to be treated fairly with dignity and to be paid a decent wage for a decent day's work.  It's a shame that they have to organize and strike to get there, but they undoubtedly have the right to do so.

Fast food work isn't brain surgery, but it's not easy, either.

The unions helped create the middle class in this country, and it's no accident that one has diminished along with the other.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah..my post was dripping with sarcasm. Clearly we as a country would never opt to eat healthy over being gluttonous pigs.

[/QUOTE]

Probably not...unless we were incentivized not to.

If higher wages lead to the end of the 'dollar menu', that might not be so bad.  More people may end up cooking at home instead of in the drive-thru.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

The Republicans like to give the argument that most fast food workers are just kids. As in most of their statements, that is a lie.  Over 70% are not kids.

The only reason that private employers such as McDonalds can find workers at the minimum wage is that we, the taxpayers, are subsidizing them by food stamps, medicaid, the earned income tax credit, and other social benefits provided by the taxpayer. These corporate giants are the real "moochers" or "takers," not the "job creators" (except in the plantation sense of that word).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If higher wages lead to the end of the 'dollar menu', that might not be so bad.  More people may end up cooking at home instead of in the drive-thru.

[/QUOTE]

Incentive to not eat like a gluttonous pigs? I dunno, how about not looking like a bag of s h i t? How about being able to walk up a flight of stairs without having to take a break because you're winded? How can things like that not be incentive enough? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Republicans like to give the argument that most fast food workers are just kids. As in most of their statements, that is a lie.  Over 70% are not kids.

The only reason that private employers such as McDonalds can find workers at the minimum wage is that we, the taxpayers, are subsidizing them by food stamps, medicaid, the earned income tax credit, and other social benefits provided by the taxpayer. These corporate giants are the real "moochers" or "takers," not the "job creators" (except in the plantation sense of that word).

[/QUOTE]

So it's the corporate giants fault these people have zero skills and therefore get paid accordingly for said zero skills? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Incentive to not eat like a gluttonous pigs? I dunno, how about not looking like a bag of s h i t? How about being able to walk up a flight of stairs without having to take a break because you're winded? How can things like that not be incentive enough? 

[/QUOTE]

Good questions, but clearly they're not enough.  When people don't see anyone or go anywhere except mcdonald's, those motivations don't exist.

The funny thing to me is that people can eat healthy AND like gluttonous pigs...just not the stuff they're eating now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good questions, but clearly they're not enough.  When people don't see anyone or go anywhere except mcdonald's, those motivations don't exist.

The funny thing to me is that people can eat healthy AND like gluttonous pigs...just not the stuff they're eating now.

[/QUOTE]

Oh I dunno about that. I see plenty of people at my company and in the office building who are obviously seeing people that range from over-weight to obese. I see people at the mall, who obviously are also seeing people who range from over-weight to obese. I see people everyday who are out and about seeing people who range from over-weight to obese. So it really has nothing to do with people not seeing anyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh I dunno about that. I see plenty of people at my company and in the office building who are obviously seeing people that range from over-weight to obese. I see people at the mall, who obviously are also seeing people who range from over-weight to obese. I see people everyday who are out and about seeing people who range from over-weight to obese. So it really has nothing to do with people not seeing anyone.

[/QUOTE]

Obesity is a huge epidemic among the poor. So the Government helps out by freely handing out EBT cards, so the obese are tempted to become even more obese....this is our modern Welfare State, that liberals are so proud of.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

."The unions helped create the middle class in this country".

[/QUOTE]

Let me fix that for you.

"The unions have helped RUIN the middle class in this country"...and it's no coincidence now that the largely union-free South is prospering, while more of the North is looking more like the modern politicized greedy leftist union's greatest modern achievement-Detroit...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it does, because people who have no motivation to change their behavior need to get that motivation from others, whether doctors, loved ones, etc.

I think you would agree that, like most preventable maladies, it's mostly psychological.  Perception matters only if the person cares about how they're perceived.  Not a given.

If someone doesn't care how they look to someone else or never has to climb a flight of stairs, where's the incentive/motivation?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Government programs for the poor "subsidize" big corporations? What a warped concept.

So your view is that a business corporation exists for the purpose of ensuring the total life fulfillment and happiness of every employee it might hire....

You seem to want to give unlimited power and authority to private corporations, kind of like a Master and slave relationship, where the employees are beholden to their corporate masters not only for their food, shelter, medical care.... but their retirement and a big screen high def TV, with the Playboy channel...and firing an employee would be out of the question...a slave can never be fired...

No conservative would ever want large corporations to become so powerful over our lives....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Government programs for the poor "subsidize" big corporations? What a warped concept.

[/QUOTE]

Warped, but true, whether you believe it or not.

Or were you not aware of how much revenue businesses like supermarkets, walmart, conagra, food wholesalers, etc. derive from a govt benefit like food stamps...?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or were you not aware of how much revenue businesses like supermarkets, walmart, conagra, food wholesalers, etc. derive from a govt benefit like food stamps...?

[/QUOTE]

It is a warped concept. LIke most progressives you no doubt have the wild delusion that EBT cards somehow "stimulate" the economy ..Crony capitalist huge corporation JP Morgan, which has provided Obama with filthy rich cabinet members, has made hundreds of millions off of 'processing' the food stamp program....Food stamps were a program of the Agriculture Dept., which shows the corrupt nature of the crony capitalist giveaways....

I was responding to username's warped notion that a corporation is somehow the appointed Nanny of its employees, the overlord, responsible and having the power to oversee all aspects of their lives, including health and wealth......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful on both counts.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think it does, because people who have no motivation to change their behavior need to get that motivation from others, whether doctors, loved ones, etc.

I think you would agree that, like most preventable maladies, it's mostly psychological.  Perception matters only if the person cares about how they're perceived.  Not a given.

If someone doesn't care how they look to someone else or never has to climb a flight of stairs, where's the incentive/motivation?

[/QUOTE]

Come on. Everyone over-weight knows EXACTLY how they are perceived. No obese person has ever had to climb a flight of stair? Apparently all obese people live in a ranch style homes??? I've witnessed obese people out of breath from walking on flat surface. So please stop with the excuses. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

The Walmart story again? 

Where is the labor union when it comes to educating these people so they can go after a better job? Nowhere to be found. The teachers unions protect incompetent teachers, reward mediocrity and send many that want to be paid for excellence to run the other way.

Do you really think that any company would actually pay their employees more if there were no government benefits to support low skilled workers? And isn't lower income people that demand lower prices anyway? If they paid these workers more they'd have to charge more and then where are we? They'd still need benefits because they have a LOW SKILL JOB.

Besides, as long as people like you are around to ignore individual responsibility and push programs to bail out people from bad decisions, there is no incentive for companies to do what you suggest nor is there an incentive for more people to avoid the prison of low skilled labor by taking school seriously and not having children when they can't afford them.

Stop whining about the symptoms and start thinking about the disease.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Isn't it incredible how other countries make it work? McDonald's workers in Denmark get paid in the neighborhood of 45k a year...no issues and they certainly don't need to rely on government assistance to put food on the table or a roof over their head.

I guess in the US...we citizens are happy to have corporations pay poor wages and have taxpayers subsidize their employee's existence.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is a warped concept. LIke most progressives you no doubt have the wild delusion that EBT cards somehow "stimulate" the economy ..Crony capitalist huge corporation JP Morgan, which has provided Obama with filthy rich cabinet members, has made hundreds of millions off of 'processing' the food stamp program....Food stamps were a program of the Agriculture Dept., which shows the corrupt nature of the crony capitalist giveaways....

[/QUOTE]

So, you've made my point.  JP Morgan derives revenue and presumptively creates jobs as a result of the food stamp program.  

Whether it's food stamps, military bases, federal contractors, etc., these government-sponsored activities put people to work, put food on their tables and expand companies' bottom lines.  

"Crony capitalist" is just a term to describe businesses you don't like because they may somehow benefit the lower classes you spit on regularly.

Lots of churches and other orgs get plump on govt largesse, too.  Are they "crony christians"...?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

Besides, as long as people like you are around to ignore individual responsibility and push programs to bail out people from bad decisions, there is no incentive for companies to do what you suggest nor is there an incentive for more people to avoid the prison of low skilled labor by taking school seriously and not having children when they can't afford them.

How elitist of you.

Or perhaps you don't understand there are all kinds of skill-levels in all kinds of jobs and few of them have anything to do with having children.

These are people who work their jobs every day and try to make ends meet with the tools they have.  Not everyone can work cushy white-collar office jobs, and even if they could, someone still has to clean the floors, serve your meals and collect your garbage....your condescension notwithstanding, of course.

The "disease" as you call it is perpetuated by the stereotypes you cling to and the derision these people endure every day.  The "cure" is for people to show a little empathy for the working poor and respect their efforts to improve their lives by whatever means necessary.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

The Republicans like to give the argument that most fast food workers are just kids. As in most of their statements, that is a lie.  Over 70% are not kids.The only reason that private employers such as McDonalds can find workers at the minimum wage is that we, the taxpayers, are subsidizing them by food stamps, medicaid, the earned income tax credit, and other social benefits provided by the taxpayer. These corporate giants are the real "moochers" or "takers," not the "job creators" (except in the plantation sense of that word).

The Walmart story again? 

Where is the labor union when it comes to educating these people so they can go after a better job? Nowhere to be found. The teachers unions protect incompetent teachers, reward mediocrity and send many that want to be paid for excellence to run the other way.

Do you really think that any company would actually pay their employees more if there were no government benefits to support low skilled workers? And isn't lower income people that demand lower prices anyway? If they paid these workers more they'd have to charge more and then where are we? They'd still need benefits because they have a LOW SKILL JOB.

Stop whining about the symptoms and start thinking about the disease.

Another example of a wingnut balling up all his discordant anger into a ball and throwing at the wall.

What do unions have to do with non-union workers?

Newsflash spanky, if they were unionized they would have access to education, they would earn a better wage and they would have benefits.

Your 'lower prices' canard is so ridiculous as to be quite amusing. Only poor people look for lower prices and people like you look to pay higher prices?

Here's some basic logic, if wages rise then those workers can now afford the modest hike in prices needed to offset that wage increase ... everyone wins. When you get a raise do you expect your company needs to raise it's prices to the point of being uncompetitive? Why doesn't that hold for other companies? And unlike your raise, Walmart wouldn't be raising wages in a vaccuum, every retailer would have to raise their wages so it would be a level field.

If Walmart raises these wages 10% but only needs to raise prices 0.5% to pay for it then commonsense says that these workers who shop at Walmart would be able to buy more stuff, increasing the company's profits.

And your last point belies your cavelike existence. Does eveyone have to have a job on par with you? Can I call you a failure who's made bad choices because you're a taker and not a 'job creator'? Pull down your skirt, you class prejudice is showing.