FBI investigating US Senator hiring 16 year old prostitutes in Dominican Republic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: FBI investigating US Senator hiring 16 year old prostitutes in Dominican Republic

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

It is a crime...it is immoral....The problem is not with the 16 year old   the problem is with your hypocrisy.

Says a lot about your character, allright.

Like what?  That I consider a senator soliciitng an underage girl for prostitution as being morally unacceptable?

Man, you are just a jerk.

Drinking by noon again, or just problems with the English?

Hey, I'm not the one saying a senator soliciting a 16 year old is just fine.  You are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: FBI investigating US Senator hiring 16 year old prostitutes in Dominican Republic

Anyone notice how this senator is getting a lot of face time in the press All of a sudden?  yet, with all this FaceTime, no one in the press seems to want to ask him about soliciting a 16 year old.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Oh Skeeter..enough with the theatrics! No one has suggested that what Menendez did is "just fine".

There is an investigation ongoing and I would prefer to wait until the investigation was complete before I convict someone and ask them to resign. Isn't that the American way?

According to the story..the alleged 16 year old is now 19 and recounting episodes that go back to when she was 16. She then states that she can't be sure that Menendez knew that she was 16 years old..which to me is irrelevent. He paid a woman for sex. That is enough for me to expect him to step down..if the allegations are proven to be true. E-mails discussing the allegations are not proof of their truth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Anyone notice how this senator is getting a lot of face time in the press All of a sudden?  yet, with all this FaceTime, no one in the press seems to want to ask him about soliciting a 16 year old.

Maybe it's the other way around: His work in the Dominican Republic - if true - is getting rolled out just now because he's getting face time in the press for his promotion to chair the foreign relations committee and being a leader in the bipartisan immigration reform initiative?

By the way, to the "if proven" point, anyone make it all the way to the end of the article linked in the OP?  If so, how do you read it?  Is the investigation still open?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Oh Skeeter..enough with the theatrics! No one has suggested that what Menendez did is "just fine".

There is an investigation ongoing and I would prefer to wait until the investigation was complete before I convict someone and ask them to resign. Isn't that the American way?

According to the story..the alleged 16 year old is now 19 and recounting episodes that go back to when she was 16. She then states that she can't be sure that Menendez knew that she was 16 years old..which to me is irrelevent. He paid a woman for sex. That is enough for me to expect him to step down..if the allegations are proven to be true. E-mails discussing the allegations are not proof of their truth.

Theatrics?  Please. you are usually better than that.

The press has been absent on this story.  It has not been in the past, Mark Foley, for example.

But, it is not a question of wait and see, Menendez is being actively promoted by the press inthe past couple of weeks, making him a fighter for the cause of immigration, while he tries to bed 16 year olds.

The hypocricy is amazing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The press has been absent on this story.  It has not been in the past, Mark Foley, for example.

But, it is not a question of wait and see, Menendez is being actively promoted by the press inthe past couple of weeks, making him a fighter for the cause of immigration, while he tries to bed 16 year olds.

Well..then I guess we differ in our perspective. I for one..am glad to see that the media is holding off on ruining someone's reputation and career until the allegations are proven one way or another.

I prefer investigations not take place in the media. I prefer that they take place within the law enforcement agencies. I prefer the media not speculate ad naseum over whether someone is guilty when the investigation isn't even complete.

If there's solid evidence then I agree he should be made to resign. Right now there is not.

One could also look at this from the opposite view that you are taking. Isn't it kind of funny that at a time when Menendez is taking the lead on immigration reform..that a rightwing website suddenly puts it's hands on questionable e-mails?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Well..then I guess we differ in our perspective. I for one..am glad to see that the media is holding off on ruining someone's reputation and career until the allegations are proven one way or another.

I prefer investigations not take place in the media. I prefer that they take place within the law enforcement agencies. I prefer the media not speculate ad naseum over whether someone is guilty when the investigation isn't even complete.

If there's solid evidence then I agree he should be made to resign. Right now there is not.

One could also look at this from the opposite view that you are taking. Isn't it kind of funny that at a time when Menendez is taking the lead on immigration reform..that a rightwing website suddenly puts it's hands on questionable e-mails?

The "allegations" were broomed until AFTER THE ELECTION. Your Obama Administration at work....

"Federal immigration agents were prepared to arrest an illegal immigrant and registered sex offender days before the November elections but were ordered by Washington to hold off after officials warned of "significant interest" from Congress and news organizations because the suspect was a volunteer intern for Sen. Robert Menendez, according to internal agency documents provided to Congress."

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

What if you like what a candidate has to say politically, but you found out that he had sex with a 16-year old prostitute in the DR (where prostitution is legal but the age of consent is 18) and he knew or suspected she was underage.  Would that change your vote?

What if she was 18?  25?  52?

What if she was not a prostitute, but a stripper?  A waitress?  A nurse?  What if they had a long-standing relationship?  What if they were married?

What if it was not in the DR, but Nevada, or Rhode Island? 

How much would you have to know about his opponent's sex life?

We all have different standards for where we draw the line morally.  At the end of the day, it's the yea or nay that really matters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

What if you like what a candidate has to say politically, but you found out that he had sex with a 16-year old prostitute in the DR (where prostitution is legal but the age of consent is 18) and he knew or suspected she was underage.  Would that change your vote?

What if she was not a prostitute, but a stripper?  A waitress?  A nurse?  What if they had a long-standing relationship?  What if they were married?

We all have different standards for where we draw the line morally.  At the end of the day, it's the yea or nay that really matters.

This, we like to say is the "Ted Kennedy" standard.

Drunk driving leading to vehicular homicide is ok, as long as you vote the Democrat line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Oh Skeeter..enough with the theatrics! No one has suggested that what Menendez did is "just fine"

One reason that genuine discussion is, with very few exceptions, more or less dead here.

They don't debate. Just accuse you of being a bad person who thinks whatever the worst thing someone could think is.

Nice try to broaden the scope, but we are talking about a specific senator and a specific crime,moral or otherwise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

This, we like to say is the "Ted Kennedy" standard.

Drunk driving leading to vehicular homicide is ok, as long as you vote the Democrat line.

David Vitter is still a Senator and Mark Sanford is running for the House.  Both parties have the same standards - just one can't admit it.