FORT HOOD GUNMAN SOUGHT MENTAL HEALTH TREAMENT

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Re: FORT HOOD GUNMAN SOUGHT MENTAL HEALTH TREAMENT

Ah...the Iraq War, the gift that keeps on giving.

And kudos to the NRA for making sure that someone with mental problems still has unfettered access to guns.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And kudos to the NRA for making sure that someone with mental problems still has unfettered access to guns.

[/QUOTE]

I blame the states as well as federal govt. In MA you can't get a handgun license if you have a criminal background or mental health issues. Not all states follow this type of background check. It's upon the states and/or federal govt to make sure criminal and mental health background checks are done on anyone who applies for a handgun license or buys a gun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I am not sure if even Mass law would have stopped him from getting a gun since he was seeking treatment through his employer and had not been officially diagnosed.  He claimed, at some point to have suffered a significant brain trauma, but the military records do not contain any incidents of injury.  Perhaps he self diagnosed, due to some other mental issue?  Maybe his records were not updated properly?  Maybe he got a concussion while on duty or while playing football with the boys.  Regardless, the treatment he was receiving, which was to determine if he had PTSD wasn't complete, and I am not sure the military has to disclose that information to civilian authorities anyway.  

In the end this is likely going to end up being an instance where a person decided to kill people and then did.  You really cant stop those people without a lot of luck and even then the best outcome may only be limiting the damage they do when they finally go off.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not sure if even Mass law would have stopped him from getting a gun since he was seeking treatment through his employer and had not been officially diagnosed.  He claimed, at some point to have suffered a significant brain trauma, but the military records do not contain any incidents of injury.  Perhaps he self diagnosed, due to some other mental issue?  Maybe his records were not updated properly?  Maybe he got a concussion while on duty or while playing football with the boys.  Regardless, the treatment he was receiving, which was to determine if he had PTSD wasn't complete, and I am not sure the military has to disclose that information to civilian authorities anyway.  

In the end this is likely going to end up being an instance where a person decided to kill people and then did.  You really cant stop those people without a lot of luck and even then the best outcome may only be limiting the damage they do when they finally go off.  

[/QUOTE]

Well, of course the mental health background check is only as good as the information that is available. But in cases where the info is available it's one less person with mental issues that will have access to guns

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bush and the NRA did it....how nastily typical,  and at the same time idiotic,  of you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, of course the mental health background check is only as good as the information that is available. But in cases where the info is available it's one less person with mental issues that will have access to guns

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I was just pointing out that, in this paricular case, there may not have been a mental health record generated, and if there was I am not sure if the military has an obligation to disclose that information to civilian authorities. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I was just pointing out that, in this paricular case, there may not have been a mental health record generated, and if there was I am not sure if the military has an obligation to disclose that information to civilian authorities. 

[/QUOTE]

Understood.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

Do we know where he got the guns? He was military not civilian so civilian gun regs would not apply.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — The senior officer at Fort Hood says the mental condition of the soldier who fatally shot three soldiers and wounded 16 others earlier this week was not the "direct precipitating factor" in the shooting.

The comments Friday by Lt. Gen. Mark Milley came a day after he said Spc. Ivan (ee-VAHN') Lopez's mental condition appeared to be an underlying factor.

Milley said Friday that an "escalating argument" precipitated the attack.

Authorities say their investigation has found Lopez had an altercation Wednesday with soldiers in his unit that prompted the shooting.

12. This post has been removed.