Fourth Amendment-Free Zones

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

Fourth Amendment-Free Zones

The Department of Homeland Security’s civil rights watchdog has concluded that travelers along the nation’s borders may have their electronics seized and the contents of those devices examined for any reason whatsoever — all in the name of national security.

The DHS, which secures the nation’s border, in 2009 announced that it would conduct a “Civil Liberties Impact Assessment” of its suspicionless search-and-seizure policy pertaining to electronic devices “within 120 days.” More than three years later, the DHS office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties published a two-page executive summary of its findings.

“We also conclude that imposing a requirement that officers have reasonable suspicion in order to conduct a border search of an electronic device would be operationally harmful without concomitant civil rights/civil liberties benefits,” the executive summary said.

According to legal precedent, the Fourth Amendment — the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures — does not apply along the border. By the way, the government contends the Fourth-Amendment-Free Zone STRETCHES 100 MILESinland from the nation’s actual border.  Civil rights groups like the American Civil Liberties Union suggest that “reasonable suspicion” should be the rule, at a minimum, despite that being a lower standard than required by the Fourth Amendment.

There should be a reasonable, articulate reason why the search of our electronic devices could lead to evidence of a crime,” Catherine Crump, an ACLU staff attorney, said in a telephone interview. “That’s a low threshold.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

Re: Fourth Amendment-Free Zones

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to GregoryFromMeffa's comment:

[QUOTE]

By the way, the government contends the Fourth-Amendment-Free Zone STRETCHES 100 MILESinland from the nation’s actual border

Whhhaaa?

Seeing as I'm looking at the Boston harbor out my damn office window right now....   I have a feeling that's just a bit barking mad

[/QUOTE]

You're not on a border.  Know if you're in Maine, NH or Vermont, leave the cell phone at home.

By the way, the story is from Wired magazine, which as hard right as Bela Pelosi.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

By the way, the government contends the Fourth-Amendment-Free Zone STRETCHES 100 MILESinland from the nation’s actual border

Whhhaaa?

Seeing as I'm looking at the Boston harbor out my damn office window right now....   I have a feeling that's just a bit barking mad

[/QUOTE]

You're not on a border.  Know if you're in Maine, NH or Vermont, leave the cell phone at home.

By the way, the story is from Wired magazine, which as hard right as Bela Pelosi.

[/QUOTE]

I was assuming that the end of U.S. territorial waters (12 miles?) counted as a border.

Either way, the notion that there is no 4th Amd. protection 100 miles from a border is insane. So many cities fall in those bounds, and the police still need a warrant to get into a home,e tc.

[/QUOTE]

If they want what's on your cellphone, then you are on the border.

but, seeing that everything on your phone is on an NSA hard drive in Utah, why do we need this?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Whhhaaa?

I didn't know janitor closets have windows.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whhhaaa?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was assuming that the end of U.S. territorial waters (12 miles?) counted as a border.

Either way, the notion that there is no 4th Amd. protection 100 miles from a border is insane. So many cities fall in those bounds, and the police still need a warrant to get into a home,e tc.

[/QUOTE]

4th amendments rights have all but been eliminated. Road blocks, phone traps, etc. this is just the next step. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Posted by A55hat Airborne:

"And why are the wingnuts against securing the borders?"

How is seizing my ipod helping to secure our borders? And why are Librul's ok with that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoryFromMeffa. Show GregoryFromMeffa's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whhhaaa?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe the US believes it is 200 miles, but is bordering international warters a border?  I dunno, but I think we now own Bermuda.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

What is the purpose of the search?  Is this similar to airport security or security for stadiums where they may ask you to turn on a device to ensure it is what you say it is, or would they, for example, take your computer and go through it?  If it is validation that a laptop or tablet is a laptop or tablet by turning it on, I have no issue with that.  Going through the contents and snooping files though, I have an issue with that.  Like most people my computing and other electronics have personal information on them and I see no need to turn that over the government for their perusal.