Free Speech?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Free Speech?

Not sure the freedom of speech arguement applies here, but I could be wrong.  Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. This guy said what he wanted to say. He can still say what he wants to say. He can shout his opinion from the mountaintops if he wishes.  No one is telling him he cannot speak his mind. His employer simply said they do not agree with him and do not wish for him to do business with him anymore. That is their right.

incidentally...did Palin feel the same way about the guy that expressed his opinion about her and was fired?

Sarah Palin, Gov. Jindal, 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's suspension by A&E

Governors, former Vice Presidential nominees -- just about everybody has an opinion about the "Duck Dynasty" brouhaha.

Sarah Palin was one of many of the show's fans to take to social media after news hit that Phil Robertson had been indefinitely suspended by A&E following his controversial statements about homosexuality in an interview with GQ Magazine.

Palin went on Facebook to voice her reaction, charging that the suspension is an attack on freedom of speech.

“Free speech is an endangered species,” she wrote, alongside a photo of herself with the cast of the show. “Those ‘intolerants’ hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us.”

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal also voiced support for his embattled constituents.

“Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with. I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV," Jindal said in a statement. "In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views. In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended."

Many fans of the series took to Twitter to voice similar thoughts.

Phil Robertson can have his own opinion, just like you have your own @DuckDynastyAE

— Lex (@lexvillaverd) December 19, 2013

they suspended Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty because he said being gay is a sin... lol @ the lack of 1st Amendment rights in the USA

— Evan Mock (@MockaFlocka) December 19, 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-suspended-sarah-palin-duck-dynasty-fans-react/

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Free Speech?

What did the guy say?

And who is he to begin with to deserve listening to on anything but ducks and reality TV?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

What did the guy say?

And who is he to begin with to deserve listening to on anything but ducks and reality TV?

I don't believe anyone said he was someone deserving of listening to. GQ was interviewing him and this is something he said...

“It seems like, to me, a v a g i n a—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s a n u s. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

It is a bit funny how they quickly suspended him yet continue to sell his merchandise on their website. Shouldn't they at least suspend selling any of the merchandise that involves Phil directly? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

He'd be absolutely right, if you're a heterosexual. Apparently he doesn't get that your sexual identity has very little to do with logic and a whole lot more to do with the level of testosterone that you were born with.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

What did the guy say?

I don't believe anyone said he was someone deserving of listening to. GQ was interviewing him and this is something he said...

“It seems like, to me, a v a g i n a—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s a n u s. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

Thanks for sharing.  (Of course, now I can't unread it.)

This is just silly.  I don't see an insult here...just a guy who has obviously never had a conversation with a gay man about what it's like to be gay.

But isn't this guy's job on the show...to be kind of silly in the first place...?  (Never seen it...only on The Soup.)  It seems this guy is just perpetuating the brand/character that A&E happily developed and promoted.

It has nothing to do with free speech, either.

Sections
Shortcuts