Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom

Republicans love to gush about the American freedoms to earn and spend money as one sees fit.

Until a Democrat spends his money as he sees fit:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/ad-hits-reid-for-living-at-the-ritz/?ref=politics

Yup; Republicans love American freedoms.  Until someone else exercises them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom

During their debate, Sharron Angle asked Harry Reid how he suddenly became a multi millionaire,  while serving as a US Senator...
    Dingy Harry never answered...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom

In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom:
    During their debate, Sharron Angle asked Harry Reid how he suddenly became a multi millionaire,  while serving as a US Senator... Dingy Harry never answered...
    Posted by BobinVa

Obama said Chamber of Commerce was receiving foreign $$ without evidence and Bobin blew a gasket. 

Angle had no evidence of any embezzlement here.  Why are you so eager to embrace her baseless accusation?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny02110. Show johnny02110's posts

I think it's a fair question. His salary is "only" $193,000 a year. That's a nice chunk of change (too nice for a politician) but it's not nearly enough to live at the Ritz... 

So who's paying? Taxpayers? Lobbyists?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny02110. Show johnny02110's posts

In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom:
    In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom : The question was asked and answered. Not to mention public disclosure laws when running for federal office. You're just being intentionally ignorant.
    Posted by 12-Angry-Men

So what was the answer? Is it taxpayers or lobbyists? I'm pretty sure financial disclosure statements don't cover who pays for the hotel room....

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny02110. Show johnny02110's posts

Reid and his wife, Landra, now own a condo at the Ritz-Carlton in Washington, which is valued at $1 million. He paid $750,000 cash for the property in 2001, according to property assessment records.

Good for him then. As long as he used his own legitimately earned money, and it sounds like he did, I don't fault him one bit for buying a nice condo. I hope I can afford one someday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I'm sure the Dems on the board would feel the same way if you substituted Scott Brown's name for Harry Reid.  I really don't think so, but I do say good for Harry if he was able to do all he did off of his investments; school for his kids and now his DCcondo which sounds like an excellent investment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

I'm sure the Dems on the board would feel the same way if you substituted Scott Brown's name for Harry Reid.  I really don't think so, but I do say good for Harry if he was able to do all he did off of his investments; school for his kids and now his DCcondo which sounds like an excellent investment.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe

Why is it republicans always make this speculative argument, when the same could be argued about them?

Personally I like Scott Brown. I don't always agree with him on things, but he is solid local guy, and if someone accused him of a financial crime, I would be very skeptical of the claim without clear evidence.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom : The POTUS making false claims is not the POTUS upholding the law. If there really were such contributions, the "controlling legal authority" ought to investigate them and the POTUS should shutup lest he taint the jury pool and le the alleged offenders off on a techincality. Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. So far as I know the only people convicted of accepting money from foreign entities are DEMOCRATS. Even Demcorat consultant Mark "Panty" Shields calls your charge regarding the Chamber of Commerce fallacious. That means FALSE. A LIE. Who should be surprised when a bunch of commies slanders an organization representing business? You should also read up on McCarthy. Did you know that he was the godfather to Robert Kennedy's daughter Kathleen? Did you know that JFK praised McCarthy in a speech at Harvard? Did you know he was right about commies in the government? Check out the Venona papers -not that I would expect a tool like you to be influenced by facts.
    Posted by Newtster

The US Chamber of Commerce receives foreign donations.  That's a fact.  The law does not allow the donations to be put into different pools - one from foreigners and one from domestic donors.  That's a fact. 

The Chamber is saying that the foreign money was not used for political ads, but the funding came from the same pool of money that foreigners made contributions to. 

The Chamber is saying that the money in the pool from foreigners was used to pay the light bill.  But the truth, without the money from the foreigners, the Chamber would have had to run viewer ads in order to cover other operating costs.

They are playing a shell came and you're too biased to see it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny02110. Show johnny02110's posts

I'm sure the Dems on the board would feel the same way if you substituted Scott Brown's name for Harry Reid.

Why is it republicans always make this speculative argument, when the same could be argued about them?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

I could care less about his personnel fortune. It is the flights to and from washington, the food, clothing, free rides around town, assistants to get him everything that bothers me. (bi partisan I might add) That is why these long term incumbents can grow their wealth. There is no law about hearing about an industry trying for say government land to build a windfarm or drill for oil, or build military vehicles or missiles and investing in them. The senators, congressman that award contracts invest the day the contracts become public record and ride the wave. There should be a thirty day waiting period because right now they have a clear advantage bending the insider trading rules.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

I think it's a fair question. His salary is "only" $193,000 a year. That's a nice chunk of change (too nice for a politician) but it's not nearly enough to live at the Ritz...  So who's paying? Taxpayers? Lobbyists?
    Posted by johnny02110

You forgot to add his home in Nevada. Must be real good with a budget!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I could care less about his personnel fortune. It is the flights to and from washington, the food, clothing, free rides around town, assistants to get him everything that bothers me. (bi partisan I might add) That is why these long term incumbents can grow their wealth. There is no law about hearing about an industry trying for say government land to build a windfarm or drill for oil, or build military vehicles or missiles and investing in them. The senators, congressman that award contracts invest the day the contracts become public record and ride the wave. There should be a thirty day waiting period because right now they have a clear advantage bending the insider trading rules.
    Posted by ccfaulk

If you have proof that they are engaging in isider trading then take it to the SEC.

I'm not sure the congressman and senators can even make investment decisions about their portfolios while in office.  I know the POTUS puts his portfolio in a blind trust, I would think the legislators have to do the same.

I don't recall a legislator ever being brought up on charges that they engaged in insider trading and it would be easy enough to do.  There have been accusations about Government Lawmakers getting high paying jobs after they leave the Gov't.

The way the Pols make money is they write a book.  Groups that want to "help" the pol simply buy lots and lots of the pol's book.  That's one reason why books by pols make the best sellers list.  They write a book and the Chamber, for example, has a dinner for the Pol and they give each person at the dinner a copy of the pol's book.

There are plenty of legal ways for them to make money without having to break the law.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The US Chamber of Commerce receives foreign donations.  That's a fact.  ----------------------- As does every union of any size here, and from EXACTLY the same source.  That's a fact too.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Huh?  "from exactly the same source".  What does that mean?

A Union is a 501(c)(5) and is coverd by different laws from the 501(c)(6) organizations of which the COC is one.  They are not the same.

I do not know how unions keep their union dues and pension funds.  I do not know if the Union dues are paid to the local and if the national union or international union can keep the money seperate. 

Do you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom : Obama said Chamber of Commerce was receiving foreign $$ without evidence and Bobin blew a gasket.  Angle had no evidence of any embezzlement here.  Why are you so eager to embrace her baseless accusation?
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

Nice spin whaterboy but, the BIG difference is she asked a question; Obama made an accusation!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom : I am too biased? That's a joke. Look in the mirror pal, if you can stand it. Even Democrats like Shields says your charge is a lie. With the logic you use for that smear, I could say that President Obama gets paid by the Chinese since the lend us so much money. And of course the ultimate hypocrisy is that Democrats really do not care about foreign money anyway since they use it all the time themselves.
    Posted by Newtster

I'm confused...  Do the Republicans care that foreign money is being used or don't they care?  You seem to be saying that the Repukes are using foreign money but the Dems are doing it too, so there.

Make up your mind - either foreign money is bad and all organizations should be open about the source of their money (that whole transparency thing) or foreign money is OK and they should change the law.

I can't think of anything more hypocratic than breaking a law that they have the power to change.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom : Nice spin whaterboy but, the BIG difference is she asked a question; Obama made an accusation!!
    Posted by sk8ter2008

Hmmm...  Perhaps I'm being elitist because I know the way the English language works.  But check this out:

rhetorical question

–noun

a question asked solely to produce an effect or to make an assertion and not to elicit a reply, as “What is so rare as a day in June?”

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: Freedom-Loving Republicans Run Ad Attacking Reid's Exercise of Personal Freedom : So I guess for someone that is supposedly as intelligent as you, you can't see the difference between Angle questionning a public official, Reid, about his income and a public official, Obama, accusing a private organization of committing an illegal act without any evidence. Curious.
    Posted by Newtster

No.  The relevant points are (1) Both politicians (2) Both made a false accusation to attack their enemy.

(Unless of course the evidence does come out that Chamber of Commerce does receive foreign donations)

Also, please see the definition of "rhetorical question" in the prior post if you were confused by the format of her accusation.

I've always wondered - is it easier going through life when you're that stupid?

Sections
Shortcuts