Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties....

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Re: Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties....

In Response to Re: Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties.... : When you're consistent and tell your Lefty friends to not speak in generalities then I'll listen to you. Until then....well...you know
    Posted by WhichOnesPink[/QUOTE]

So you dodge the issue.  Do you have anything substantive to contribute?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties.... : Treaties. Next
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Change them.

Next.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Teapublicans held off to the eleventh hour to f* us over. This move was actually predicted two months earlier. Whats to argue about? The tee-baggers have destroyed the nation and are sending us into a double dip recession. Congrats, patriots. Nice f'kn job.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevilinBoston. Show DevilinBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Teapublicans held off to the eleventh hour to f* us over. This move was actually predicted two months earlier. Whats to argue about? The tee-baggers have destroyed the nation and are sending us into a double dip recession. Congrats, patriots. Nice f'kn job.
    Posted by BilltheKat[/QUOTE]

Ok, I will admit I am confused:

In December, 2010, Obama and the Dems had the opportunity to raise the debt limit.  Many in the Tea Party were saying they would vote against it once in, especially if it did not require major cuts in spending.  Dems decided they would not raise it so the Republicans could have a "buy-in on the debt," at least according to Harry Reid.

So, the Tea Party got in and pushed for massive cuts and refused to raise revenue (a point I disagreed with) while tying the cuts to the raise in the limit, just like they said they would.  Dems wanted a clean vote, which they bypassed just months earlier for, in Harry Reid's word, political reasons.

Boehner and Obama reached a deal on an approximately 4 trillion deal.  It fell apart for various reasons.  Tea Party, Progressive Party, etc.

Ultimately, a smaller deal was reached.  The Tea Party voted against it because it did not go far enough (see S&P comments).  Dems yelled and screamed that it went too far (or, at the very least, did not raise taxes).  Ultimately it passes.

Dems called Tea Party terrorists.

S&P downgraded the US credit rating for 2 basic reasons: (1) The deal did not do enough and (2) the policital process/parties/etc. have gotten so far out of control that they do not believe we can fix our problems without major attitude adjustments.

http://www.standardandpoors.com/ratings/articles/en/us/?assetID=1245316529563

Obama said S&P is wrong (I agree).

Despite S&P being wrong in Obama's eyes, Dems blame Republicans for forcing the debt ceiling increase to be tied to cuts, despite the fact that reason #1 for the downgrade, according to S&P, is that the cuts did not go far enough.  Even if you consider the lack of revenue increases, Dems never wanted either tied to the debt ceiling discussion, so this is particularly baffling.

Dems ignore their failure to raise the limit for political reasons when they had a chance. 

Can someone straighten this out for me?  I think, to the extent this is the government's fault, it is the fault of everyone involved.  How am I wrong?

For the dude who says he served, thank you for your service. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties.... : Ok, I will admit I am confused: 
    Posted by DevilinBoston[/QUOTE]

Do I have to read farther?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevilinBoston. Show DevilinBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties.... : The debt ceiling has nothing to do with future debt, deficits or spending. It only allows the fed to pay existing, previously accumulated debt. You can't change history. This is why there is no logical connection to be made between reducing debt and raising the debt limit. Debt/deficit reduction CAN ONLY be done through the budget process. Trying to connect the two is clearly a political move and why some people thought of it as a hostage situation. If Congress had treated the two seperately, which is what has been done historically, then the debate would have focused where it should have been, on the budget process. The debt debate only served to weaken an already fragile recovery. What happened, IMO, was that the reps took a political stance of trying to tie the dems to the debt and avoid any responsibility themselves. They knew that the only leverage they had was the debt limit and they used it to disastorous results. 
    Posted by airborne-rgr[/QUOTE]

Ok, fine, then why didn't the Dems raise it when they had the chance, especially since they already knew they were going to have to?  Wasn't their move just as political?  Wasn't theirs more problematic because the Tea Party had already said they would vote the way they ultimately did?  Dems had the chance to avoid the problem you describe but chose to punt for political reasons.  Why don't they get some of the blame for that alone?

Your comment also ignores what S&P said, which is that one of the reasons they lowered our rating is because the plan did not do enough.  You may be right that the two should have been separated, but S&P does not seem to agree.

Further, Dems in the Senate haven't passed a budget in a long time.  The House has.  If the problem is budgetary, why don't they share in the blame?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevilinBoston. Show DevilinBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny how certain outspoken BDC Lefties.... : Do I have to read farther?
    Posted by BilltheKat[/QUOTE]

Not if you have no interest in discussing with me.