GITMO DETAINEES (TERRORISTS) TO GET H1N1 (SWINE FLU) SHOTS BEFORE AMERICAN CITIZENS.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

GITMO DETAINEES (TERRORISTS) TO GET H1N1 (SWINE FLU) SHOTS BEFORE AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Gitmo detainees set to receive swine flu vaccine

By David McFadden Associated Press Writer / November 1, 2009

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico—Terrorism suspects held at the Guantanamo Bay naval base will soon get swine flu vaccines, despite complaints that American civilians should have priority, a military spokesman said Sunday.

Army Maj. James Crabtree, a spokesman for the U.S. jail facility in southeast Cuba, said the doses should start arriving this month, with guards and then inmates scheduled for inoculations.

He acknowledged there may be an "emotional response" from critics who argue that terror suspects should not be allocated swine-flu medications while members of the U.S. public are still waiting due to a vaccine shortage.

But he said U.S. military officials are "responsible for the health and care of the detainee population."

Medical personnel at Guantanamo requested the doses, but Crabtree said he did not know how many.

Detainees will be vaccinated "entirely on a voluntary basis," he said. "There is always going to be a segment of the population that is going to refuse," either due to anxiety about a shot or to "distrust of our motivations."

The top House Republican, Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, told CNN's "State of the Union" show on Sunday that he does not agree with the H1N1 vaccination plans for detainees at Guantanamo.

"I don't think it's a good idea. The administration probably didn't think it would be very popular either; that's why they announced it on Friday night," Boehner said.

The Miami Herald first reported about the vaccination plans on Wednesday.

Health officials have recommended that people in high-risk groups receive the swine flu vaccination first. There has been heated debate in several U.S. states about where prisoners should fall in the pecking order of vaccine recipients.

A spokesman for Physicians For Human Rights, an international medical group, said there are "certain basic obligations the U.S. has to its prisoners," and that vaccinations for influenza fall into that category.

"The fact that many prisoners within the U.S. don't get timely access to basic health care doesn't change the obligation of the U.S. to prisoners at Guantanamo," Dr. Scott A. Allen of the rights group said in an e-mail from Rhode Island. "We should work towards securing H1N1 vaccine for all at-risk populations, and not towards lowering a public health standard for certain unpopular groups."

Following Saturday's transfer of six Chinese Muslims from Guantanamo to the tiny Pacific nation of Palau, roughly 215 detainees remain at the detention center. The Obama administration plans to prosecute some in U.S. courts and turn over others to nations willing to rehabilitate or free them.

The administration also is grappling with how to keep in prison a handful of remaining detainees who are considered too dangerous to release or put on trial.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Re: GITMO DETAINEES (TERRORISTS) TO GET H1N1 (SWINE FLU) SHOTS BEFORE AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Obama and his liberal "moonbat" cronies making another STELLAR DECISION.

UN(expletive)ING BELIEVEABLE.

Especially when American Citizens can't find the shots for themselves and their children in this country.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

Re: GITMO DETAINEES (TERRORISTS) TO GET H1N1 (SWINE FLU) SHOTS BEFORE AMERICAN CITIZENS.

What they're saying is that these people are being detained without any formal charges and without the right to legal counsel.  That makes them our responsibility during their detention in American prisons.  If they were charged with a specific crime and taken to court and then sentenced by American law, it would be different.  But now they are just non-persons with no rights.  If one of them dies as a result of our illegally detaining them, we're in a sit-load of doodoo.

I don't like it, but sue GWBush.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: GITMO DETAINEES (TERRORISTS) TO GET H1N1 (SWINE FLU) SHOTS BEFORE AMERICAN CITIZENS.:
    What they're saying is that these people are being detained without any formal charges and without the right to legal counsel.  That makes them our responsibility during their detention in American prisons.  If they were charged with a specific crime and taken to court and then sentenced by American law, it would be different.  But now they are just non-persons with no rights.  If one of them dies as a result of our illegally detaining them, we're in a sit-load of doodoo. I don't like it, but sue GWBush.
    Posted by giraffe-77

But wait. Who's in charge now? If these people truely are being held without any formal charges and without the right to counsel then isn't Obama just as bad as Bush? Doesn't Obama have the ability to release these people? All the screaming the left has done about Bush yet we hear nothing from the Left now that Obama is in charge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

It's all Bush's fault <------ the left's answer to every question..

kinda pathetic ....don't you think?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aces1. Show aces1's posts

Or, we could just torture them instead.   LOL!  Lets Hire Jack Bauer, which is GW favorite actor, and favorite show, admittedly.  LMAO! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

HOW ABOUT THIS:

GIVE EVERY AMERICAN CITIZEN THE VACCINE FIRST THEN, IF....IF......IF ANY MAY BE LEFT AFTER WE SELL SOME OF IT OVERSEAS TO OUR ALLIES, DONATE SOME TO CANADA AND DESTROY THE REST.......ONLY THEN GIVE THESE CRIMINALS HELD AT GITMO.

WHY SHOULD ANY OF THEM RECIEVE THIS BEFORE MY CHILD, MY WIFE AND ME ARE EVEN ALLOWED TO GET IT?

STUPID OBAMA AGAIN!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: GITMO DETAINEES (TERRORISTS) TO GET H1N1 (SWINE FLU) SHOTS BEFORE AMERICAN CITIZENS.:
    Or, we could just torture them instead.   LOL!  Lets Hire Jack Bauer, which is GW favorite actor, and favorite show, admittedly.  LMAO! 
    Posted by aces1

GW isn't president anymore. Obama is in charge of what happens to the "illegally" detained prisoners. Do you have issue with Obama keeping these people imprisoned?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

The military said it's their responsibility to care for the detainees so that's what they are going to do to the best of their ability.  I don't like the idea but if protecting the detainees results in the Marines guarding them having a lower probability of being exposed, then so be it.

Obama has nothing to do with the military.....I'd love to blame him but there has never been a President who has separated himself more from the military than Obama. 

This story has to be false anyways, because Obama closed Gitmo....didn't he???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

the title of this thread is disingenuous at best. i've been offered and refused the shot twice now. so they're getting before some Americans but not all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

The reason the "detainees" don't get constitutional protection (the right to a speedy trial, the right to legal counsel and the right to confront your accuser) is because their jail is on foreign soil.  Even though it's an American military installation in Cuba, the constitution doesn't apply to them.  At least Obama is working toward having them moved to American prisons where the constitution does apply.  I'm not defending what these people might or might not have done, but I do think they have the right to know what they are charged with and defend themselves.  After all these years of incarceration, this is creating more anger and insurgence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AMERICA THE "CHICAGO WAY"......  WHAT A PLACE !!!!!!  ANOTHER DAY, AND ANOTHER SHAKE OF THE HEAD....... HOLYWOOD COULDN'T WRITE THIS STUFF !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

And they should, and not because they should get special treatment. But because they are high risk given the living conditions they are in, just like all prisoners. You may want to treat them like animals, because you lack empathy for other people (remember, most of those people in there, never did anything... that's why so many have been and are getting released) but there is also the fact that a prison is a great incubator for the flu which puts all of at risk. And there is also the matter of it being just a couple hundred people which makes no difference in the over-all supply.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

Guess you missed the part that Obama is in the process of fixing that and closing Gitmo, and doing that responsibly is not something you shooting from the hip, or did you not learn that from the mistake that was GW?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

Take a wild guess where the vaccine is being manufactured, surprise, its not the in the US, its made in gasp, the liberal countries of Europe... I know, now you wont want to take since it might taint your vitriolic neo-con viewpoints.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

What they're saying is that these people are being detained without any formal charges and without the right to legal counsel.  That makes them our responsibility during their detention in American prisons.  If they were charged with a specific crime and taken to court and then sentenced by American law, it would be different.  But now they are just non-persons with no rights.  If one of them dies as a result of our illegally detaining them, we're in a sit-load of doodoo. I don't like it, but sue GWBush.
    Posted by giraffe-77
      PLEASE...... SPARE US OF THE LIBERAL  B  S...... TELL IT TO THE  PEOPLE OF  9/11.......  MY GOODNESS, YOUR "OUT THERE" !!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosloftlog. Show bosloftlog's posts

I think this is a good idea. We should inoculate terrorists as well as prisoners before the general public because of the close cramped quarters of incarceration make the virus easier to spread. It's simple science.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from giraffe-77. Show giraffe-77's posts

NINE ONE ONE,  9/11,  YOU ARE STUPID.  NINE ONE ONE, NINE ONE ONE.  YOU ARE A STUPID LIBERAL PINKO COMMIE.  9/11.  NINE.... ONE..... ONE !!!!

DID YOU HEAR ME??  I SAID NINE ONE ONE.  9/11 FOR YOU MORONIC LIBS WHO LOVE TERRORISTS.   NINE...ONE...ONE...!!

Sections
Shortcuts