Global warming scientists lie about global warming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Global warming scientists lie about global warming

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Just kidding. But these people do:

Oh, that Heartland Institute. This fossil-fuel-funded climate change denial “think tank” has made its name making outrageous statements that generally aren’t even within a glancing blow of reality. Like the way they hugely exaggerated the importance of “Climategate”—what I like to call a manufactroversy—or their horrific billboard campaign comparing climate scientists to the Unabomber and Charles Manson. That was where they actually had the temerity to say:

The people who still believe in man-made global warming are mostly on the radical fringe of society. This is why the most prominent advocates of global warming aren’t scientists. They are murderers, tyrants, and madmen.

Nice, huh? No wonder they hemorrhaged sponsors so rapidly after that boondoggle.

So when I heard that one of their global-warming denial screeds had been translated into Chinese and that Heartland was claiming the Chinese government was becoming more “skeptical” about climate change, well, I myself was hugely skeptical.

Turns out, I was right.

Heartland made this claim:

The trend toward skepticism and away from alarmism is now unmistakable… Publication of a Chinese translation of Climate Change Reconsidered by the Chinese Academy of Sciences indicates the country's leaders believe their [failure to sign a global climate treaty] is justified by science and not just economics.

Note: That quotation is from an article at the Guardian about this; Heartland took down the page with their original press release. Now, why would they do that?

Because it was egregiously false. It was so fallacious, in fact, that the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) issued a very stern statement (emphasis mine):

The claim of the Heartland Institute about CAS’ endorsement of its report is completely false. To clarify the fact, we formally issue the following statements:

(1) The translation and publication of the Chinese version of the NIPCC report, and the related workshop, are purely non-official academic activities the group of translators. They do not represent, nor they have ever claimed to represent, CAS or any of CAS institutes. They translated the report and organized the workshop just for the purpose of academic discussion of different views.

(2) The above fact was made very clear in the Translators’ Note in the book, and was known to the NIPCC report authors and the Heartland Institute before the translation started. The false claim by the Heartland Institute was made public without any knowledge of the translator group.

(3) Since there is absolutely no ground for the so called CAS endorsement of the report, and the actions by the Heartland Institute went way beyond acceptable academic integrity, we have requested by email to the president of the Heartland Institute that the false news on its website to be removed. We also requested that the Institute issue a public apology to CAS for the misleading statement on the CAS endorsement.

(4) If the Heartland Institute does not withdraw its false news or refuse to apologize, all the consequences and liabilities should be borne by the Heartland Institute. We reserve the right for further actions to protect the rights of CAS and the translators group.

Wow. The number of times they use the word false makes their feelings pretty clear (as does another CAS notice). Also, note the part where they say Heartland knew what they were claiming was false, too.

And false it was. As the Guardian article points out, China has been stepping forward about climate change, testing out political and engineering ideas to try to curb carbon emissions. China has also officially endorsed the International Panel on Climate Change’s statement that the world is warming and it’s due to human influence.

So, after this withering blast from CAS, what does Heartland do? Issue a notpology:

Some people interpreted our news release and a blog post describing this event as implying that the Chinese Academy of Sciences endorses the views contained in the original books. This is not the case, and we apologize to those who may have been confused by these news reports.

Seriously, Heartland? “Some people”? I think you misspelled “everybody,” including the very China Academy of Sciences you were touting, because that’s precisely what you were saying.

This kind of wishy-washy phrasing is nothing more than yet another attempt at distraction, as well as blame-shifting from their own huge and embarrassing error to “those who may have been confused.” Sorry Heartland, but your position is clear. You can’t even deny your own denial.

Groups such as the Heartland Institute and so many others are sowing confusion at a time when we need more clarity, not less. We need to make real steps toward curbing global warming, and as recent reports have shown, it’s already hard enough. President Obama is making a lot of promises toward that goal, but making actual movement is a different issue. This is why I continue to write about this issue; the more people who get the real facts, and see who is trying to obfuscate them, the better.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/06/17/heartland_institute_false_claims_about_china_s_climate_skepticism.html

And about that billboard campaign:

Billboards in Chicago paid for by The Heartland Institute along the inbound Eisenhower Expressway in Maywood, Illinois. Photograph: The Heartland Institute

Billboards in Chicago paid for by The Heartland Institute along the inbound Eisenhower Expressway in Maywood, Illinois. Photograph: The Heartland Institute

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/jun/14/climate-change-heartland-chinese-academy-sciences

Interesting graphic:

Cook et al. (2013) 97% consensus results and notable anti-consensus campaigns.  Image by John Garrett

But yeah, ask me again to believe that in fact, scientists using grant money to study global warming are all morally bankrupt enough to lie for money....

....the little money that people who do work on grant money actually make. (Note: There's a reason my parents eventually got fed up with the NIH process required to do basic research and moved into the pharma business, and it wasn't because they got bored with basic research).

I have a close relative who is a scientist, also. You seem to think doubting any  of today's government-funded science is a personal attack on scientists..even though settled science is constantly changing...never doubt scientists, they are all demi-gods!!.

Government grant money is serious money, and the Government will not fund studies to debunk Global Warming...it will hire those who are already in agreement and are predisposed to find what the Government wants them to find. Can't pretend Science is above human nature. It is like saying 100% of Catholic bishop experts  hired to study the Divinity believe Jesus Christ is God's son ...will the Catholic Church hire atheists?

Global warming Scientists dont have to "lie" about Global Warming, to be WRONG about global warming. And scientists are wrong... a lot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Are the Koch Brothers involved with the Heartland Institute ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

I don't really see the point of this. There are goofballs, extremists and shills on both sides of this argument. What is the point of singling out one like this?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Sorry, I am not going to ignore evidence that the deniers are in fact lying - not only about the science, but even about what China thinks about the science - in a political battle....

...simply because of the fact that some people steal and because you have a conspiracy theory about government.

Both sides of the argument have a financial stake in their opinions being right or the most supported. Both sides of the argument have used very shady tactics including using faulty data to support theories and covering up contridicting evidence to their theories.

To say one side is less honest than the other is an opinion based on preference of theories or lack thereof.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

It has been a standard ploy of the Warmers to revile the skeptics as shills of the energy industry, swaddled in munificent grants and with large personal stakes in discrediting AGW.  Actually, the precise opposite is true.  Billions in funding and research grants sluice into the big climate-modeling enterprises and a vast archipelago of research departments and "institutes of climate change" across academia.  It's where the money is.  Skepticism, particularly for a young climatologist or atmospheric physicist, can be a career breaker.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both sides of the argument have a financial stake in their opinions being right or the most supported. Both sides of the argument have used very shady tactics including using faulty data to support theories and covering up contridicting evidence to their theories.

Saying "both" - particularly about a scientific issue - does not make you appear bipartisan.

[/QUOTE]

Hiding from the truth that scientist from both sides of the argument have made known mistakes and cannot fully support their theories does not make you anything other than ideological.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Moving the goalposts eh?

"scientist from both sides of the argument have made known mistakes"

=/=

"Both sides of the argument have used very shady tactics including using faulty data to support theories and covering up contridicting evidence to their theories."

If, you see it that way fine but, its still true that both sides have been wrong (intentionally or not is debatable) and will be again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Being wrong and then trying to come up with further explanation for data is completely different from deliberately misleading people with fudged data and you know it. You alleged the latter, and that's what I took issue with.

Are you saying the GW believer scientist have never knowingly used faulty data or given false statements about their theories?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-the-lie-of-global-warming-consensus-among-scientists-came-to-pass

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Just admit you're wrong. You don't have proof that global warming scientists are all a bunch of liars or anything of the sort. There is an ongoing scientific debate, and within that debate the vast majority of those contesting whether man is contributing think man is.

You are correct and I was wrong; it's not that an overwhelming majority of GW scientist were lying. It's those that have claimed an overwhelming majority of scientist agree with man made global warming are liars!

Thank you

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Don't be so quick to thank me. There are two errors, which may be mere mistakes or typical lies, in your latest attmept at tap-dancing.

1. The article you linked is not about scientists saying anything about what other scientists think. It is a rant about media pundits saying things about how many scientists working on global warming agree that man is contributing.

2. The overwhelming majority of scientists working in that field who have published papers expressing an opinion on what is causing warming do believe man is contributing:

Cook et al. (2013) 97% consensus results and notable anti-consensus campaigns.  Image by John Garrett

So you and your little article rant are still dead wrong.

Thank you, sir.

I do know that the OVERWHELMING majority you speak of are now befuddled at the slow to non-existant rate of warming over the last decade even though CO2 has risen substantially.

Now before you spout off about "this is just a decade and not indicative of long term blah blah blah".

The smart thing to do is figure out why their theory was at least in part in error before allowing and govt or global agency to implement any standards that hurt out fragile economy and kill jobs!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

You already started a new thread on the same F'ing subject. Why not just stick to that one now that you've done it?

ditto with your responses!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I see Phil Plait is at it again, moving smoothly from bad astronomy to bad clmate politics. Of course, none of what he says has any bearing on the validity of warmist opinion or that of their detractors.

It's nice to see, though, that the Heartland Institute appologized for their mistake. I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for an apology from Dr. Peter Gleick of the Pacific Institute for stealing Heartland Institute documents and apparently forging memos in an attempt to discredit Heartland.

But he's a scientist, I'm sure he had only the best of intentions.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

ya, that's exactly what I do.

Seen Michael Mann's "hockey stick" lately?

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.