Good luck Mayor Menino

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Re: Good luck Mayor Menino

A decent guy, his actions never really bothered me one way or another, sure he was corrupt, but that's what Mayors do.

I'm a little worried about possible replacments though, is Diane Wilkerson out yet?  How 'bout Chuck?

I'd vote for Steve Lynch in a minute, though i'm not a Boston voter.... 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

To the OP..well said. Menino was known as the "people's mayor" for good reason. Honestly..I never got much into his politics since I don't live in Boston..but everyone is in agreement that he has done remarkable things for the city of Boston.

One thing that has always been clear to me...Tom Menino loved the city of Boston with all his heart. I've rarely seen a mayor with as much love for his city as Menino. Love him or hate him..one has to respect that...as it's rare. I never got the sense that Menino led the city of Boston for any other purpose than his love for it. Certainly not for any fame or fortune.

That being said..it was time for him to step down. As a leadership philosophy I am of the opinion that no one should be in power for too long. Another term would have been one term too long for Menino. Good for him for knowing when to fold them.

I will miss the Meninoisms though..lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

He's done. Twenty years later. I thought he was going to give it one more term, I was convinced after hearing him on the radio the other morning. I think his health is more serious than he is leading us to believe....just sayin :-)

Tom did great things for the city. The Seaport area for example was a dump, now it is thriving. Yes, there are questions to his close ties and special favors certain groups got. But all in all, he took over the city and ran it well for 20 years. Good luck to him, and hope he recuperates enough to enjoy his retirement.

The seaport area was jumped started with federal dollars which funded the Ted Williams. A lot of the property is owned by Massport, so they can grab some credit.  Fidelity owns a big piece and Old Man Athanas owned all of Fan Pier. Tom put a few road blocks in this area, not much of the progress in this area can be credited to him.  The Rose Kennedy Greenway was built with federal dollars as well.

The seaport area was never a dump, maybe just to some who learned Boston with pictures. But the old Jimmy's Harborside, Jimbo's, The Daily Catch, No Name, and Pier 4, Yankee Lobster, and even James Hook can be considered part,  were restaurants most went to, and some visited Jimmy's every day for lunch.  The World Trade center was always popular with small conventions and the Commonwealth Pier was a destination for many.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

He's done. Twenty years later. I thought he was going to give it one more term, I was convinced after hearing him on the radio the other morning. I think his health is more serious than he is leading us to believe....just sayin :-)

Tom did great things for the city. The Seaport area for example was a dump, now it is thriving. Yes, there are questions to his close ties and special favors certain groups got. But all in all, he took over the city and ran it well for 20 years. Good luck to him, and hope he recuperates enough to enjoy his retirement.

The seaport area was jumped started with federal dollars which funded the Ted Williams. A lot of the property is owned by Massport, so they can grab some credit.  Fidelity owns a big piece and Old Man Athanas owned all of Fan Pier. Tom put a few road blocks in this area, not much of the progress in this area can be credited to him.  The Rose Kennedy Greenway was built with federal dollars as well.

The seaport area was never a dump, maybe just to some who learned Boston with pictures. But the old Jimmy's Harborside, Jimbo's, The Daily Catch, No Name, and Pier 4, Yankee Lobster, and even James Hook can be considered part,  were restaurants most went to, and some visited Jimmy's every day for lunch.  The World Trade center was always popular with small conventions and the Commonwealth Pier was a destination for many.

OK. Whatever you say. Didn't expect anything different, if I said black you'd say white.

The Seaport area was a dump, and had little foot traffic as to what it is enjoying now. It is a beautiful area now to walk around, an area full of restaurants and hotels. The restaurants you named were all good in their hay-day, but quality and service declined over the years. Del Frisco's food and service would make Jimmy's look like a McDonalds, if Jimmy's was still standing.

Old people are never happy with change.. they live in the past.

No one is living in the past, and I am sure you know my affection for the present seaport area, thus your motivation for your post. Del Frisco's prices are also outstanding.  I like all the places in the present area. I can be found in The Tamo Bar or Rosa Mexicano during the week a few nights. The foot traffic now isn't that great except for the summer months. The harbor walk, again federal dollars, is the best kept secret in Boston.

I am confident that you had no more then a few meals at Jimmy's, if you did you would not be trashing it now.  Jimmy's harborside was a great place and especially for those of us who went on a regular basis.  I never had to call for a reservation and no matter how long the wait for the general public, I got a table near the water within 15 minutes. 

But once again you are wrong and Tom cannot sign off on the development of the seaport area. He got behind the people of southie to block the building of a stadium there, which scared of developers for years.

Just because I know the past of the seaport area, does not mean I am living in the past.  It just shows that I have known my was around Boston for years.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Jimmy's scked, but Jimbo's was good.  Anthony's was (is?) overrated and underserviced.

And Menino isn't done until January.  Plenty of time for a few more, "Veritek kicking it through the uprights"  :-)

I guess no one can please everyone.  Jimmy's stood for years and the only reason they went out of business was their lease was up and Massport was not renewing. Anothy's was over rated, I seldom went but the old man was a great marketer and kept the place busy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

OK. Whatever you say. Didn't expect anything different, if I said black you'd say white.

The Seaport area was a dump, and had little foot traffic as to what it is enjoying now. It is a beautiful area now to walk around, an area full of restaurants and hotels. The restaurants you named were all good in their hay-day, but quality and service declined over the years. Del Frisco's food and service would make Jimmy's look like a McDonalds, if Jimmy's was still standing.

Old people are never happy with change.. they live in the past.

No one is living in the past, and I am sure you know my affection for the present seaport area, thus your motivation for your post. Del Frisco's prices are also outstanding.  I like all the places in the present area. I can found in The Tamo Bar or Rosa Mexicano during the week a few nights. The foot traffic now isn't that great except for the summer months. 

I am confident that you had no more then a few meals at Jimmy's, if you did you would not be trashing it now.  Jimmy's harborside was a great place and especially for those of us who went on a regular basis.  I never had to call for a reservation and no matter how long the wait for the general public, I got a table near the water within 15 minutes. 

But once again you are wrong and Tom cannot sign off on the development of the seaport area. He got behind the people of southie to block the building of a stadium there, which scared of developers for years.

I am glad the mayor signed off on the stadium build there... that would have been a disaster, Kudos to the mayor on that.  He basically saved the seaport area with that move.

FYI...your comment on Jimmy's proves you are living in the past. Just sayin

Remembering the past and living in the past are two different things.  I only talk about Jimmy's when someone trashes it, most likely because they had to wait two hours on a Saturday to get a table by the kitchen.

A stadium by the water would have destroyed the area?  I guess we will never know.  I am willing to bet the hotel industry would disagree. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Hey oldie:  I have to go, have a Good Friday.  Explain way your reference to the old seaport area as being a dump, is not living in the past? You were the one who brought it up, I am simply explaining that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I also used to hang out in the south end, back when all someone had to do was pay the back taxes on a unit to buy it.

I also ate at the paramount on charles street, long before it popular.

I used to go to faneuil hall back when some wanted to tear it down.  Thank you Kevin White for saving it.

If this is living in the past, then I am guilty.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

This is going to leave a big dent in the Howie Carr show.

Well, at least I won't have to worry about the skyrocking price of oil.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Jimmy's scked, but Jimbo's was good.  Anthony's was (is?) overrated and underserviced.

And Menino isn't done until January.  Plenty of time for a few more, "Veritek kicking it through the uprights"  :-)

Wes Weck-ler and Gonk!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to doozy-day's comment:

Wes Weck-ler and Gonk!

Or, "go catch a Sock game."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

funny to see ms using the msm when he laughs at others who do. the planning of this area happened long before tom was mayor. once again, massport runs this area and like logan, the state and massport police are present. you will only see boston cops when they are getting chowder. once past b street all the meters are owned and operated by massport. another sign that massport is control.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to doozy-day's comment:

Wes Weck-ler and Gonk!

My favorite will always be the reference to Varitek kicking the ball through the uprights..lol

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

i see BU cops down there too. but thanks for admitting that the state has jurisdication and not tom. and you do know that troop f is located in the seaport district.

Obviously the chowder comment was a joke.  You will also see T cops down there and when it is real busy, I have seen troppers from CT. doing details.

Funny, maybe I have you pegged incorrectly.  Oldie would never defend a dem.  There used to be someone who loved Boston dem politicians and who used to post 20 year old pictures. The other explanation would be my friend who loves to create names to stay busy.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts