Good thing he ran into cops and not another "good guy with a gun"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

These open-carry super-enthusiasts are nutters. Of course cops are going to be worried if you walk around brandishing a firearm. Criminals tend to brandish firearms before use.

A Colorado teenager carrying a loaded shotgun on a busy street in Aurora was stopped by police officers, despite his argument that the open carry laws in the state put him well within his rights to do so.

Steve Lohner, 18, used his cell phone to record his encounter with police and uploaded it to YouTube. The video sparked debate about gun laws and the right to carry in public.

The video shows Lohner repeatedly telling officers they have no legal right to stop him and ask for identification because he was not committing a crime. Police argued that he was scaring people and without proper identification they could not confirm he was legally allowed to carry the weapon.

Police eventually arrested Lohner for obstructing an investigation.

Colorado Teen Walks Street with Shotgun, Films Encounter With Police

A Colorado teenager carrying a loaded shotgun on a busy street in Aurora was stopped by police officers, despite his argument that the open carry laws in the state put him well within his rights to do so.

Steve Lohner, 18, used his cell phone to record his encounter with police and uploaded it to YouTube. The video sparked debate about gun laws and the right to carry in public.

The video shows Lohner repeatedly telling officers they have no legal right to stop him and ask for identification because he was not committing a crime. Police argued that he was scaring people and without proper identification they could not confirm he was legally allowed to carry the weapon.

Lohner said in an interview with FOX31 in Denver that he’s on a mission to call attention to open carry laws.

“I feel like a lot of people now they see a weapon like that and they think, you know, James Holmes or Sandy Hook,” said Lohner.

Lohner has launched his campaign in the same town where a mass shooting occurred in July 2012. Twelve people were killed and 70 injured when James Holmes allegedly shot several firearms into a movie theater.

According to Colorado law, police are allowed to ask people for identification if they suspect he is “committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime.” Lohner refused to give his ID. on the video.

“He may be within his rights and legal, within the law to carry this gun but if we’re investigating it and he refuses to cooperate that may violate other municipal laws,” Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania told FOX31.

Lohner said he plans to continue his public open carry campaign.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2014/08/13/colorado-teen-walks-street-with-shotgun-films-encounter-with-police/fjSxxPefl643eZuqVafvdO/story.html?p1=Topofpage:sub_headline_6#comments

“I feel like a lot of people now they see a weapon like that and they think, you know, James Holmes or Sandy Hook"

And if your silly campaign is successful, the end result would be people being so used to openly brandished firearms that nobody can tell who is a bad guy with a gun until it's too late. Brilliant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Good thing he ran into cops and not another

That kid was an obnoxious twit

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Sounds like the kid should edumacate himself on the law before trying to challenge it ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

These open-carry super-enthusiasts are nutters. Of course cops are going to be worried if you walk around brandishing a firearm. Criminals tend to brandish firearms before use.

Lohner said in an interview with FOX31 in Denver that he’s on a mission to call attention to open carry laws.

“I feel like a lot of people now they see a weapon like that and they think, you know, James Holmes or Sandy Hook,” said Lohner.

Lohner has launched his campaign in the same town where a mass shooting occurred in July 2012. Twelve people were killed and 70 injured when James Holmes allegedly shot several firearms into a movie theater.

According to Colorado law, police are allowed to ask people for identification if they suspect he is “committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime.” Lohner refused to give his ID. on the video.

“He may be within his rights and legal, within the law to carry this gun but if we’re investigating it and he refuses to cooperate that may violate other municipal laws,” Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania told FOX31.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2014/08/13/colorado-teen-walks-street-with-shotgun-films-encounter-with-police/fjSxxPefl643eZuqVafvdO/story.html?p1=Topofpage:sub_headline_6#comments

“I feel like a lot of people now they see a weapon like that and they think, you know, James Holmes or Sandy Hook"

And if your silly campaign is successful, the end result would be people being so used to openly brandished firearms that nobody can tell who is a bad guy with a gun until it's too late. Brilliant.

I don't see anyone in that video brandishing a firearm...I see a kid with a gun slung over his shoulder. Brandishing a firearm and having a gun slung over your back are two TOTALLY different things. One is legal and the other isn't, your a lawyer you should know this.

What he was doing may have " made people scared" but it is legal and  i expect police officers to follow the law they enforce.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to high-road's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sounds like the kid should edumacate himself on the law before trying to challenge it ...

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the police officer should know the law. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see anyone in that video brandishing a firearm? I see a kid with a gun slung over his shoulder. Brandishing a firearm and having a gun slung over your back are two TOTALLY different things. One is legal and the other isn't, your a lawyer you should know this.

What he was doing may have " made people scared" but it is legal and  i expect police officers to follow the law they enforce.

[/QUOTE]

So officers see a kid walking around with a gun and they should just assume, he's at least 18, has a permit, and only has it for protection from no one in particular? That's a lot of assumptions. 

I bet you, if those cops stopped a kid like that and then, when the kid refused to simply give his name, just let the kid go, then the kid walks into a McDonald's and starts to blow away patrons, that you'd be the first person complaining about why the cops didn't do more to stop him. 

Obviously walking around with a gun the way the kid was doing wasn't the norm in that area. Otherwise people wouldn't have contacted the cops about it. People were concerned. They called the cops and expected the cops to do something about it. They did. All the kid had to do was give his name and he'd have been on his merry way. Hell, the cops gave him ample opportunity to cooperate. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Seems like a strange thing to say considering the recent events in Missouri.

So officers see a kid walking around with a gun and they should just assume, he's at least 18, has a permit, and only has it for protection from no one in particular?

Of course they should check him out... that's only common sense.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't see anyone in that video brandishing a firearm...I see a kid with a gun slung over his shoulder. Brandishing a firearm and having a gun slung over your back are two TOTALLY different things. One is legal and the other isn't, your a lawyer you should know this.

[/QUOTE]

1. I wasn't using "brandishing" in any  strict legal sense, and at any rate state laws vary so you aren't necessarily correct that "brandishing" is always illegal. If a state only permits concealed carry, then yes you're likely going to get in trouble if you pull out a gun ('brandish' it) or sling it over your shoulder, unless it's a self-defense situation.

In a state or city that allows open carrying, I'm not so sure there would be rules about slinging over shoulder vs. holding in hand.

2. I don't think this changes any of my comments. If I'm a hunter and I see someone else dressed up like one walking around with a long gun, I'm not going to worry. I and many other sensible folks are going to have second-thoughts about a guy walking around a city with a gun out.

Moreover, this guy just turned 18. I don't know about you, but the older I've gotten, the more 18 year olds look like children and not legal adults. The police might reasonably question whether the kid was in fact a legitimately licensed 18 year old.

And it's mainly been kids who have carried out the mass shootings lately. Of course they asked.

3. In general, I don't like open carry laws. I'm glad we have concealed carry only. In a concealed carry state, you know that if someone has a gun out they're probably a bad guy, and the bad guys don't know who has a gun. In an open carry state, there's no way to tell who is a good or bad guy with a gun until the shooting starts....

....or until a police officer asks to check a license. And the bad guys know who doesn't have a gun.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see anyone in that video brandishing a firearm? I see a kid with a gun slung over his shoulder. Brandishing a firearm and having a gun slung over your back are two TOTALLY different things. One is legal and the other isn't, your a lawyer you should know this.

[/QUOTE]

So officers see a kid walking around with a gun and they should just assume, he's at least 18, has a permit, and only has it for protection from no one in particular? That's a lot of assumptions. 

I bet you, if those cops stopped a kid like that and then, when the kid refused to simply give his name, just let the kid go, then the kid walks into a McDonald's and starts to blow away patrons, that you'd be the first person complaining about why the cops didn't do more to stop him. 

Obviously walking around with a gun the way the kid was doing wasn't the norm in that area. Otherwise people wouldn't have contacted the cops about it. People were concerned. They called the cops and expected the cops to do something about it. They did. All the kid had to do was give his name and he'd have been on his merry way. Hell, the cops gave him ample opportunity to cooperate. 

[/QUOTE]

Criminal's usually don't walk around in public with their gun out for everyone to see. Lol  Criminal's are very paranoid. Remember the kid in cali with vendetta against the world? He was so scared the cops where gonna find his stash of guns. 

He gave the police the correct amount of cooperation that he's legally obligated to give. He was asked where he was going and what he was doing, he responded.He was asked what he had the gun for, he responded.  He was asked his age, he responded. When he was asked if he had ID he refused which is within his rights as he wasn't suspected of a crime. That's is where the conversation should have ended. If i where him i would have asked " am i free to go or am i being detained". IF the cop knew the law he would know that he would either have to release him or then place him under unlawful detention.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Seems like a strange thing to say considering the recent events in Missouri.

Only if you think every cop is like the cop who shot the unarmed black kid in Missouri. I don't think either of us think that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

1. I wasn't using "brandishing" in any  strict legal sense, and at any rate state laws vary so you aren't necessarily correct that "brandishing" is always illegal. If a state only permits concealed carry, then yes you're likely going to get in trouble if you pull out a gun ('brandish' it) or sling it over your shoulder, unless it's a self-defense situation.

In a state or city that allows open carrying, I'm not so sure there would be rules about slinging over shoulder vs. holding in hand.

2. I don't think this changes any of my comments. If I'm a hunter and I see someone else dressed up like one walking around with a long gun, I'm not going to worry. I and many other sensible folks are going to have second-thoughts about a guy walking around a city with a gun out.

Moreover, this guy just turned 18. I don't know about you, but the older I've gotten, the more 18 year olds look like children and not legal adults. The police might reasonably question whether the kid was in fact a legitimately licensed 18 year old.

And it's mainly been kids who have carried out the mass shootings lately. Of course they asked.

3. In general, I don't like open carry laws. I'm glad we have concealed carry only. In a concealed carry state, you know that if someone has a gun out they're probably a bad guy, and the bad guys don't know who has a gun. In an open carry state, there's no way to tell who is a good or bad guy with a gun until the shooting starts....

....or until a police officer asks to check a license. And the bad guys know who doesn't have a gun.

[/QUOTE]

I tend to like to think that bad guy's pick soft target's. If a criminal goes to case a joint and he see's people with guns hanging around the place, he's probably gonna check that place off his list real fast. That's crime prevention in action.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE]

Criminal's usually don't walk around in public with their gun out for everyone to see. Lol  Criminal's are very paranoid. Remember the kid in cali with vendetta against the world? He was so scared the cops where gonna find his stash of guns. 

He gave the police the correct amount of cooperation that he's legally obligated to give. He was asked where he was going and what he was doing, he responded.He was asked what he had the gun for, he responded.  He was asked his age, he responded. When he was asked if he had ID he refused which is within his rights as he wasn't suspected of a crime.

Shouldn't have been suspected in your opinion, or wasn't suspected? The cop may have suspected him of not being properly licensed based on how young he looked. He just turned 18.

That's is where the conversation should have ended. If i where him i would have asked " am i free to go or am i being detained". IF the cop knew the law he would know that he would either have to release him or then place him under unlawful detention.  

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He gave the police the correct amount of cooperation that he's legally obligated to give. He was asked where he was going and what he was doing, he responded.He was asked what he had the gun for, he responded.  He was asked his age, he responded. When he was asked if he had ID he refused which is within his rights as he wasn't suspected of a crime.

Shouldn't have been suspected in your opinion, or wasn't suspected? The cop may have suspected him of not being properly licensed based on how young he looked. He just turned 18.

That's is where the conversation should have ended. If i where him i would have asked " am i free to go or am i being detained". IF the cop knew the law he would know that he would either have to release him or then place him under unlawful detention.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The cop asked if he was 18, the man said he was. Sure, if he looked young the cop probably had doubts about his age but that's where the cop should be a cop and pay close attention to his interactions with this person. The guy with the gun didn't sound like he was lying. If he was nervous or jittery responding to some simple basic questions, then you dig a little deeper. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Only if you think every cop is like the cop who shot the unarmed black kid in Missouri. I don't think either of us think that.

I don't, of course. Then again, neither do I think the "good guy with a gun" is a trigger happy raving lunatic out to perform vigilante justice at the drop of a hat.

--

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Bet you never seen a black guy walk down the street with an AK-47 and a handgun unmolested. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQp2WJELTw

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

This is just stupid.  If the guy is in the legal right, leave him alone.

just because liberals get all nervous around guns doesn't give the police the right to deny this guy his rights.

wake up, people, we are being corralled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I don't, of course. Then again, neither do I think the "good guy with a gun" is a trigger happy raving lunatic out to perform vigilante justice at the drop of a hat.

No, but it does happen and it's been posted about here. It's not a completely unfounded thread title....  

--

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

just because liberals get all nervous around guns doesn't give the police the right to deny this guy his rights.

So if the police see people who haven't reached the legal age to possess pot or alcohol in possession of pot or alcohol, they shouldn't be allowed to ask them for ID to confirm their age?

You want corralled? Look at the erosions of electronic privacy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So if the police see people who haven't reached the legal age to possess pot or alcohol in possession of pot or alcohol, they shouldn't be allowed to ask them for ID to confirm their age?

You want corralled? Look at the erosions of electronic privacy.

[/QUOTE]

So, this guy was legal, apparently.  So, how is comparing this to someone doing something illegal an argument?

Not saying the police shouldn't check it out, but once having done so, leave it alone.

agree on the erosion of electronic privacy.  The government argument of collecting info in case they need it is a pure violation of at least the 4th.  Don't care what some stupid judge says.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

So, this guy was legal, apparently.  So, how is comparing this to someone doing something illegal an argument?

Take a deep breaths between these sentences so you don't pull a neuron:

1. They had to make sure this guy WAS legal.

2. They cannot read minds.

3. They had to ask for ID to make sure he wasn't lying.

4. This is just like they ask for ID to make sure someone who looks too young but has booze really is legally possessing it.

5. That was the point.

6. You knew that.

Criminals would love it if the police were forced to approach them on honor code terms.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He gave the police the correct amount of cooperation that he's legally obligated to give. He was asked where he was going and what he was doing, he responded.He was asked what he had the gun for, he responded.  He was asked his age, he responded. When he was asked if he had ID he refused which is within his rights as he wasn't suspected of a crime. That's is where the conversation should have ended. If i where him i would have asked " am i free to go or am i being detained". IF the cop knew the law he would know that he would either have to release him or then place him under unlawful detention.  

[/QUOTE]

I was referring to mass murderers who are in quite a different class than just regular criminals, in my opinion anyway. CA isn't an open carry state.....CO is. So you never know how a nutcase is going to act. Just because the "Cali" kid was paranoid doesn't mean they all are. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The cop asked if he was 18, the man said he was.

Oh well then that's it. Because of course we all know no one has EVER lied to a cop. Ok, nothing to see here folks...hahahaha

Sure, if he looked young the cop probably had doubts about his age but that's where the cop should be a cop and pay close attention to his interactions with this person. The guy with the gun didn't sound like he was lying. If he was nervous or jittery responding to some simple basic questions, then you dig a little deeper. 

Didn't "sound" like he was lying? So you're a human lie detector are you? Never came across anyone good at lying I take it. 

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was referring to mass murderers who are in quite a different class than just regular criminals, in my opinion anyway. CA isn't an open carry state.....CO is. So you never know how a nutcase is going to act. Just because the "Cali" kid was paranoid doesn't mean they all are. 

[/QUOTE]

School shooters are cowards who see a gun free zone and an easy target to Right all the times they been wronged. Why do you think they almost always kill themselves as soon as the people with guns arrive?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh well then that's it. Because of course we all know no one has EVER lied to a cop. Ok, nothing to see here folks...hahahaha

Sure, if he looked young the cop probably had doubts about his age but that's where the cop should be a cop and pay close attention to his interactions with this person. The guy with the gun didn't sound like he was lying. If he was nervous or jittery responding to some simple basic questions, then you dig a little deeper. 

Didn't "sound" like he was lying? So you're a human lie detector are you? Never came across anyone good at lying I take it. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cops are trained to detect signs if someone is lying. Key indicators are eye movement and body language.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cops are trained to detect signs if someone is lying. Key indicators are eye movement and body language.

[/QUOTE]

Cops are also trained to be good shots but many aren't. Just because they are trained in something doesn't mean they are good at it. 

Sections
Shortcuts