GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion

In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion:
    [QUOTE]Roe is beside the point. Akin is indeed part of a siginificant faction of GOPers who are out-flanking Roe in any and every way they possibly can, from arresting doctors to de-funding Planned Parenthood, they want to eliminate the "choice" from pro-choice. I don't think he represents all GOPers or all Missourans, but his nomination for Senate shows that he does at least represent a fair portion of Missouri GOPers. And no doubt, the top of the GOP ticket is anti-choice.  
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Matty,

Although I do not agree that Roe is besides the point, I do agree with the rest of your post.

Of course it was an outrageous statement by Rep. Atkin that pregnancies do not result from "legitimate rapes". (A statement, btw, he and his staff are currently trying to walk back by declaring it as having been delivered in an off the cuff manner.)

This was not just a outrageously ignorant statement by a single politician, nor was it the 

first time the GOP tried to redefine "rape".

In 2011, Rep. Atkin co-sponsored a bill whose purpose was to limit the number of survivors 

of rape and incest who would be able to receive federally funded abortion care by changing the 

definition of forcible rape.

Yet another recent attempt by the GOP to out-flank Roe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I don't blame Dems cuz one of them supports killing infants if the abortion doesn't quite work out.  Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

And I don't blame blunt ideological tools for repeatedly confusing the term "abortion" with "infanticide".

Everyone makes mistakes....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

And the republicans begin eating their own.

Gonna be a rough November for the GOP.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Beginning to catch on.....finally! Geesh.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Matty, Although I do not agree that Roe is besides the point, I do agree with the rest of your post. Of course it was an outrageous statement by Rep. Atkin that pregnancies do not result from "legitimate rapes". (A statement, btw, he and his staff are currently trying to walk back by declaring it as having been delivered in an off the cuff manner.)  But it's not simply an isolated comment by a dangerously ignorant politician. And it's not the first first time Republicans in the House have tried to "redefine" rape. In 2011 Rep. Akin co-sponsored Rep. Chris Smith's bill to redefine rape.The purpose of the bill was was to limit the number of survivors of rape and incest who could receive federally funded abortion tion care under existing law by changing the definition of rape to "forcible rape."  This was yet another attempt to out-flank Roe by the GOP.
    Posted by andiejen[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. 

My point was made to outline the current positions of many in the gop - despite what anyone thinks of the likelihood of Roe being "overturned" by this congress or any other.

But you're right...it's no accident how many self-styled conservatives proclaim Roe as being a flawed or objectionable decision.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : 23 dem senate seats up for grabs.  10 GOP.  Harry will need a new office.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Well....1 of those 23 dem seats is no longer up for grabs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Down to 2.2 to 1.  Roll with it. It whould be fun to watch Scott Brown beat Lizzy like a rented mule here too!

So, fetuses are sacred but mules are fair game...?  How noble....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : How about a redheaded step-child?
    Posted by WhichOnesPink2[/QUOTE]

Picking on the 'gingers' and step-children, eh...?

South Park did the former already.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : FAR more noble than equating them

Of course...how silly of me.

Mules are alive.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion:
    [QUOTE]KANSAS CITY, Mo. — In an effort to explain his stance on abortion, Representative Todd Akin, the Republican Senate nominee from Missouri, provoked ire across the political spectrum on Sunday by saying that in instances of what he called “legitimate rape,” women’s bodies somehow blocked an unwanted pregnancy. Asked in an interview on a St. Louis television station about his views on abortion, Mr. Akin, a six-term member of Congress who is backed by Tea Party conservatives, made it clear that his opposition to the practice was nearly absolute, even in instances of rape. “It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare,” Mr. Akin said of pregnancies from rape. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child.” http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/us/politics/todd-akin-provokes-ire-with-legitimate-rape-comment.html?_r=1&hpw#commentsContainer
    Posted by UserName99[/QUOTE]

I don't think Akin speaks for all conservatives..but he does speak for the worst of them. This guy's views are nothing new..and yet he was still able to secure the republican nomination for Senate.

To me..he is an example of what the big problem with both parties are..but this time around it seems to be a bigger GOP affliction. By pandering to the extreme right of the party..you know..the people who want to take away rights, he set himself up to sound like a moron..and not just any moron..a cold, calculating moron who holds a very low opinion of women.

As the day goes on, you will see more republicans asking him to step out of the race. This is because he crossed a line. I don't believe he "misspoke". I think he believes what he stated ( otherwise why say it?) and when it came back at him..he tried backtracking. Unfortunately, there are consequences to our words and actions and in general people who say such hateful things are not tolerated by the general society.

I don't need to comment further on the percieved GOP war on women. I think the facts, when taken in their entirety speak for themselves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Kinda like the dems here did to override the SJC ruling in favor of gay marriage. The last amendment to the US Constitution took 200 years.  Relax

You can try to ignore the G.O.P. platform if you like, but there it is...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : So how do the remarks by Akins "clarify" the GOP view on abortion??
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

Raises the issue nationally.  People are looking at the G.O.P. efforts to restrict abortion rights.  Romney has supported a constitutional amendment to ban abortion, but also wants exceptions...  Ryan disagrees with Atkin on rape and abortion except when he agreed with him...  The G.O.P. is behind 15 points with women.  Wonder why?  I bet it gets bigger with this flare up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : Not really...I've always known you were a hypocrite of epic proportions.
    Posted by WhichOnesPink2[/QUOTE]

Irony, too funny.

So no? Let's watch.

FYI. There's no crying in politics.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : I don't think Akin speaks for all conservatives..but he does speak for the worst of them. This guy's views are nothing new..and yet he was still able to secure the republican nomination for Senate. To me..he is an example of what the big problem with both parties are..but this time around it seems to be a bigger GOP affliction. By pandering to the extreme right of the party..you know..the people who want to take away rights, he set himself up to sound like a moron..and not just any moron..a cold, calculating moron who holds a very low opinion of women. As the day goes on, you will see more republicans asking him to step out of the race. This is because he crossed a line. I don't believe he "misspoke". I think he believes what he stated ( otherwise why say it?) and when it came back at him..he tried backtracking. Unfortunately, there are consequences to our words and actions and in general people who say such hateful things are not tolerated by the general society. I don't need to comment further on the percieved GOP war on women. I think the facts, when taken in their entirety speak for themselves.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

He should sound like a moron he is a moron.

He doesn't speak for anyone but himself.

Public outcry from all quarters of the Republican party since the comments were made about how outlandish and ridiculous they were.

Not to mention a public statement from Romney for him to step down, also defunding from the Republican party.

But the mentally challenged on this site still would like to connect  commentary from a nut to the Republican platform.

The behavior of Gary Condit reflect on all Democrats? I don't think so. Elliot Spitzer?

But consider you same people returned a drunk and a murderer to congress for 47 years.

A desperate group because Obama cannot run on his record.

The war on women? Because people object to paying taxes for birth control pills covered in Obamacare?

Objection to using tax dollars to pay for free birth control pills for all is a war on women?

The war on women is being waged by the Obama administration in the name of un-employment.

Let women continue to pay the 15 bucks a month themselves since when the hell is birth control a health problem?

Democrats have always said they want Republicans to stay out of their bedroom this is a chance to prove it.

Since when the hell are women entitled to free birth control pills?

The war on women amounts to a battle to give them free birth control. Don't make me laugh.

I'll stay out of your bedroom you stay out of my wallet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : He should sound like a moron he is a moron. He doesn't speak for anyone but himself. Public outcry from all quarters of the Republican party since the comments were made about how outlandish and ridiculous they were. Not to mention a public statement from Romney for him to step down, also defunding from the Republican party. But the mentally challenged on this site still would like to connect  commentary from a nut to the Republican platform. The behavior of Gary Condit reflect on all Democrats? I don't think so. Elliot Spitzer? But consider you same people returned a drunk and a murderer to congress for 47 years. A desperate group because Obama cannot run on his record. The war on women? Because people object to paying taxes for birth control pills covered in Obamacare? Objection to using tax dollars to pay for free birth control pills for all is a war on women? The war on women is being waged by the Obama administration in the name of un-employment. Let women continue to pay the 15 bucks a month themselves since when the hell is birth control a health problem? Democrats have always said they want Republicans to stay out of their bedroom this is a chance to prove it. Since when the hell are women entitled to free birth control pills? The war on women amounts to a battle to give them free birth control. Don't make me laugh. I'll stay out of your bedroom you stay out of my wallet.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Great rant. But of course you want to avoid addressing the conservative social agenda.  Care to explain the justification for the G.O.P. platform plank that bans abortion and makes no exceptions? That is something Akin and the G.O.P. agree on.  The "war on women" theme may be hyperbole, but do explain why the G.O.P. is 15 points behind in the women's vote. Do you think their social conservative agenda might have an impact? Or you can just ignore these issues and engage in another "great rant".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GOP clarifies its view on rape/abortion : He should sound like a moron he is a moron. He doesn't speak for anyone but himself. Public outcry from all quarters of the Republican party since the comments were made about how outlandish and ridiculous they were. Not to mention a public statement from Romney for him to step down, also defunding from the Republican party. But the mentally challenged on this site still would like to connect  commentary from a nut to the Republican platform. The behavior of Gary Condit reflect on all Democrats? I don't think so. Elliot Spitzer? But consider you same people returned a drunk and a murderer to congress for 47 years. A desperate group because Obama cannot run on his record. The war on women? Because people object to paying taxes for birth control pills covered in Obamacare? Objection to using tax dollars to pay for free birth control pills for all is a war on women? The war on women is being waged by the Obama administration in the name of un-employment. Let women continue to pay the 15 bucks a month themselves since when the hell is birth control a health problem? Democrats have always said they want Republicans to stay out of their bedroom this is a chance to prove it. Since when the hell are women entitled to free birth control pills? The war on women amounts to a battle to give them free birth control. Don't make me laugh. I'll stay out of your bedroom you stay out of my wallet.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]
    Well. clearly you need to go back and read the law with regards to Obamacare and birth control. Obamacare established minimum preventative care coverage for private health insurance companies. That means that when a woman purchases private health coverage..preventative services such as birth control are covered in full. Your tax dollars are not paying for my birth control you clown. My premium payments to my insurance company are paying for them.

Also, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I did not state that Akin spoke for all republicans..I said he spoke for the worst of them..you know the crazies who believe we should go back to the 1950's.  He clearly speaks for republicans in MO...after all..he was their nominee.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts