GOP darling supports Hate Group member

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: GOP darling supports Hate Group member

Maybe the SPLC should send another Floyd Lee Corkins over to the FRC to teach them another lesson.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

George Rekers wasn't availble for the job?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

This hiring probably not a smartest of moves...however...not so sure this hiring in turn makes Jindal a bigot. But whatever...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I disagree with the Family Research Council on many levels. That, to me, doesn't make them a "hate group, " it just means that I disagree with them. As far as I know they haven't inspired any shootings as of yet. When and if that happens I'll reassess.

Or, if Mr. Perkins starts using his new position to discriminate against homosexuals I'll be right behind you. Heck, I'll be way in front of you. Until then...

--

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Then they agree with the average practicing Muslim (which to me is not, by definition, a hate group either.) As long as those opinions don't become actions that hurt people they're welcome to those opinions. I'll counter those opinions wiht my own. Let's just make sure that these opinions don't ever come close to becoming law.

--

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Neo-nazis have a long history of inciting violence. It's hardly the same thing.

--

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Then they agree with the average practicing Muslim (which to me is not, by definition, a hate group either.) As long as those opinions don't become actions that hurt people they're welcome to those opinions. I'll counter those opinions wiht my own. Let's just make sure that these opinions don't ever come close to becoming law.

Except that's not true at all.

The vast majority of muslims bear no true animus toward homosexuals any more than, say, the majority of lay catholics do.

That some extremist segments of the faith denounce gays in such vile, despicable ways only demonstrates how radical their ideology...

...which is really no more radical than the vile, despicable rhetoric coming from the FRC, Perkins, and their ilk.

And they certainly don't represent the majorities of either christians or americans.

But why would you make such a sweeping generalization about muslims but not about the christianism the FRC purports to embody...?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

That's why I inserted the adjective practicing. If you have any evidence to the contrary I'll be willing to review it.

--

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That's why I inserted the adjective practicing. If you have any evidence to the contrary I'll be willing to review it.

The adjective practicing does not connote any strong feelings one way or another about Muslims' sentiments toward gays.

Try again...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

SB, the problem with what you're saying is that hate is a state of mind, not a physical act of violence.

I think that they're getting their attitudes regarding homosexuality from their religious convictions which make them close minded and dogmatic. That, to me, is not the same thing as hatred. I'm okay with people having religious beliefs as long as they're not hurting anyone. That would be, as someone not too famous once said, crossing a red line.

--

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The adjective practicing does not connote any strong feelings one way or another about Muslims' sentiments toward gays.

Then you know very little about Islam.

--

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]SB, the problem with what you're saying is that hate is a state of mind, not a physical act of violence.

I think that they're getting their attitudes regarding homosexuality from their religious convictions which make them close minded and dogmatic. That, to me, is not the same thing as hatred. I'm okay with people having religious beliefs as long as they're not huring anyone. That would be, as someone not too famous once said, crossing a red line.

--

[/QUOTE]

Propagandizing that homosexuals are by nature child predators, for instance, is hurting people.  The justifications people use for assault on gays, typically follow along these patterns of "gay panic" and the FRC is one of the most, if not the most, prominent organization involved in pushing these narratives into the public sphere.  Their actions are hurtful, and they are rooted in their religious beliefs.  The FRC doesn't have to go about clubbing gays over the head to be seen as hurtful to homosexuals and to society at large.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]The adjective practicingdoes not connote any strong feelings one way or another about Muslims' sentiments toward gays.

Then you know very little about Islam.

[/QUOTE]

I know enough the realize that your statement is a massive distortion of the truth.

Islam comprises hundreds of different sects with their own dogma and contradictions, and practicing still does not connote orthodoxy or even strictly literal interpretations of so-called "islamic law".

Repeat: extreme hatred toward gays is extreme coming from christians or muslims.  And it's not fair or accurate to conflate the relatively recent fundamentalist positions onto the billions of muslims in the world.

More accurate would be to cast the public opinion of homosexuality in terms of liberalism and conservatism as applies to faith, i.e., where the episcopal faith might be more liberal and southern baptist more conservative.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

Propagandizing that homosexuals are by nature child predators, for instance, is hurting people.  

Absolutely correct.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Damain,

I'm not seeing a bunch of assaults on gay people where the perps are pointing to a belief that they "protecting the children." Usually it's some drunken goober and the target is picked based on how bullies usually pick targets, a perception of weakness. We're talking ignorance here, not a philosophy based on religious beliefs. At least, not in this country.

--

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Islam comprises hundreds of different sects with their own dogma and contradictions, and practicing still does not connote orthodoxy or even strictly literal interpretations of so-called "islamic law".

I could list tons of Christian preachers and the like that preach tolerance towards homosexuality. Give me ONE Imam and I'll concede.

--

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

The vast majority of muslims bear no true animus toward homosexuals

[QUOTE]

How could you possibly know what a majority of 1.5 billion people have true animus towards?
    geez!

A majority of Mosques in the world teach it to be a sin worthy of death!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Islam comprises hundreds of different sects with their own dogma and contradictions, and practicingstill does not connote orthodoxy or even strictly literal interpretations of so-called "islamic law".

I could list tons of Christian preachers and the like that preach tolerance towards homosexuality. Give me ONE Imam and I'll concede.

[/QUOTE]

I can only speak to some of the islamic scholars I have read, like Ali Abdul Raziq, who advocated for secularism as relates to government and discouraged attempts to politicize Islam...

...which is partly the source of much radicalism over the past century or so and therefore a distortion of islamic principles.  (the source of much religious extremism, I reckon)

A friend who's both muslim and gay also told me about a well-known imam in LA who performs same-sex weddings, but I forget his name.

Again, it's more like a balance between liberal and conservative muslims.  Now, I will concede the point that the conservatives in Islam are both more visible and more powerful than the liberal ones.  However, there is still a moderate 'middle' which is neither and generally abstains from political fights over such topics.

What you're referring to, I believe, is more cultural than theistic and certainly subject to interpretation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

The vast majority of muslims bear no true animus toward homosexuals

[QUOTE]

How could you possibly know what a majority of 1.5 billion people have true animus towards?
    geez!

A majority of Mosques in the world teach it to be a sin worthy of death!

Mosques are houses of worship, not schools.

You're thinking madrassas, but I think you're still describing the extreme factions of the faith.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Again, it's more like a balance between liberal and conservative muslims.  

Matty liberally applies the "conservative" label (pun intended) for maximum smearing of his American political opponents...

The terms liberal and conservative cant be so conveniently foisted...actually, radical Islam and progressivism have more in common, they both despise traditional Christian beliefs....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Not to defend what Tony Perkins said in particular,  but nowhere in his statements did he say he "hated" homosexuals and wished them to die.

Compare to leading progressive gay activist Dan Savage, the founder and public face of the "It Gets Better" project, which purports to be an anti-bullying and anti-suicide organization for troubled kids.

One irony you'll immediately notice: This "anti-bully" is one of the vicious people  people you'll ever find.

Savage said of Republicans while on  HBO, "I wish they were all f*ing dead."  .

He set up a website to obscenely attack Sen. Rick Santorum and make his name as a synonym for fecal matter byproduct of gay sex.

He personally and viciously attacks Scott Brown and other Republican pols in the most vile and personal way .

He is a true open "hater" of Christian religion ... yet he will get the progressive mulligan, because, um, conservatives are all evil and deserve such hatred.

The credibility of progressives saying their opponents are "haters" ...not much, since they arrogantly believe they are morally superior and unaccountable for what they say.

Sections
Shortcuts