GOP Fails to Block OH Early Voting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

GOP Fails to Block OH Early Voting

Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Case to Block Early Voting in Ohio

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is siding with Democrats in refusing to block early voting in the battleground state of Ohio.

The court on Tuesday refused a Republican request to get involved in a dispute over early voting in the state on the three days before Election Day.

The campaign of President Barack Obama and Ohio Democrats sued the state over changes in Ohio law that took away the three days of voting for most people, but made exceptions for military personnel and Ohioans living overseas. Democrats say nearly 100,000 people voted in the three days before the election in 2008.

A federal appeals court ruling reinstated voting on the weekend before the election and Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, a Republican, appealed that ruling to the Supreme Court.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: GOP Fails to Block OH Early Voting

Why the heck do we have early voting in the first place?  Doesn't that strike you as odd?  Why not all vote the same day, same conditions, AND dip our finger in the inkwell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Why not have early voting?  If not, then either make Election Day a national holiday or hold it on a weekend day.

My question is why we have election campaigns that last for over a year.

The Brits have it absolutely correct.  Each candidate gets 6 weeks of campaigning, and that's it.  So, for the U.S., let's say 6 months is the cap and the only period in which primaries and ads are allowed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Move elections to the weekends.

Why Tuesday?

In 1845, before Florida, California, and Texas were states or slavery had been abolished, Congress needed to pick a time for Americans to vote. We were an agrarian society. We traveled by horse and buggy. Farmers needed a day to get to the county seat, a day to vote, and a day to get back, without interfering with the three days of worship. So that left Tuesday and Wednesday, but Wednesday was market day. So, Tuesday it was. In 1875 Congress extended the Tuesday date for national House elections and in 1914 for federal Senate elections

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Early voting is necessary because there are many people who can not get the time off to leave work, or would already be at work during the voting period, not too mention folks who travel, are in the miltary, at school etc.  People should not be disenfranchized simply because of an inability to be at a poll on the day voting takes place. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to jmel's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Why not have early voting?  If not, then either make Election Day a national holiday or hold it on a weekend day.

The Brits have it absolutely correct.  Each candidate gets 6 weeks of campaigning, and that's it.  So, for the U.S., let's say 6 months is the cap and the only period in which primaries and ads are allowed.

You mean only 6-weeks of attack ads?

If we could hold it to that, then yes, although I'd prefer none at all.

I understand the U.S. is much bigger than the U.K., hence the 6 months

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

I agree. Let's have voting everyday for a month. Hell how about for two months?! Let's start now. 

I could care less if Ohio wants the exception but Christ....we all know if we'll be around voting day or not. The polls are open early and late. People go before work, during work, after work. It's worked for quite some time like that. Shouldn't be any surprises to people. For those who won't be around they get an absentee ballot. It's a pretty simple and straight-forward process. 

Hell...it's not like voting day is a surprise. We all know WELL in advance what day it is. 

True and totally besides the point.  You are ignoring the reality that some people may not have choice but to be excluded if they are otherwise unable to get the polls on election day.  Not everyone works a job that allows them the opportunity to come in late, leave early, or leave in the middle of the day.  Not everyone will be in their voting districts on election day.  And we know early voting allevieates pressure on the polls which can easily become slammed during peak periods which in the past has excluded people from voting because the lines were so long that the polling center closed before everyone had a chance to cast a ballot. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I don't think Mass has early voting at the polls, I think people have send in absentee ballots as their only recourse.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

In response to jmel's comment:

You mean only 6-weeks of attack ads?

If we could hold it to that, then yes, although I'd prefer none at all.

I understand the U.S. is much bigger than the U.K., hence the 6 months

That darn First Amendment, makes things so messy....so darn inconvenient for the smooth logical implementation of government planning....  it is so smooth in countries like our Mother Country England, that don't value free speech....

Speaking against the Government out of turn, on the wrong date, in the wrong location, you go to jail....not to mention if you speak politically incorrectly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Well, as they say in Chicago, vote early and often!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

I don't think Mass has early voting at the polls, I think people have send in absentee ballots as their only recourse.

Ah...I see...

Yes...states rights and all that jazz

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Ah...I see...

Yes...people are capable of voting without all these exceptions and all that jazz.

Semantics. Absentee ballots in MA perform the same function to those of us who vote early. I almost always vote early by absentee ballot because my job requires a great deal of travel, much of it without a whole lot of notice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Ah...I see...

Yes...people are capable of voting without all these exceptions and all that jazz.

Its a good thing you don't live in Ohio and as a result won't be burdened by all those early voters casting ballots on your lawn.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Campaign files federal suit to ensure all military ballots count in WI...

Sections
Shortcuts