GOP Governors Rollout Regressive Tax Plans

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: GOP Governors Rollout Regressive Tax Plans

And then they drop their bombshell: "Having a Republican governor," they conclude, "is associated with lower rates of growth."

There are egghead intellectuals at Tulane, and then there is reality!

Quick Facts: Unemployment and Job Creation: •States with Republican governors have a 7.6% unemployment rate •States with Democratic governors have an 8.6% unemployment rate

•Top 5 states with the largest unemployment rate drops over the last 12 months have GOP governors, led by Nevada, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi and Ohio.

•Over the last 12 months, the unemployment rate in Republican-led states has decreased faster than in states with Democratic governors.

•Over the last 12 months, states with Republican governors have added nearly 1.4 million jobs, accounting for more than 60% of the nation’s job growth.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

To those who work in the private sector and want to be self reliant: there may be a red state in your future.

The 'biggest losers' in terms of ‘residents lost to other states’ are all prominent redoubts of progressivism: California, New York, Illinois...   Meanwhile, the biggest winners in the relocation sweepstakes are all commonly identified as red states in which Republicans generally dominate local politics: Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Arizona, and Georgia.”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

There are several states with no income tax that are decidedley blue

Oh really?  Aside from NH (which I wouldn't say is 'decidedly blue')  Name 2 blue states without an income tax.

Texas, Florida

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

There are several states with no income tax that are decidedley blue

Oh really?  Aside from NH (which I wouldn't say is 'decidedly blue')  Name 2 blue states without an income tax.

Texas, Florida

jeeesh....don't I feel dumb now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Blue state with no income tax: Washington state

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Governors Push Bigger Reliance on Sales Taxes

WASHINGTON — Republican governors are moving aggressively to cut personal and corporate income taxes, including proposals that would increase reliance on state sales taxes, setting up ambitious experiments in tax reform that could shape what is possible on a national level.

Even as Washington continues to discuss, if not act, on ideas for making the federal tax system simpler and more efficient, governors, some with an eye on the next presidential race, are taking advantage of the improving economy and a gradual rebound in revenues to act.

In Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal is pushing to repeal the state’s personal and corporate income taxes and make up the lost revenue through higher sales taxes. Gov. Dave Heineman of Nebraska is calling for much the same thing in his state. Gov. Sam Brownback of Kansas wants to keep in place what was supposed to be a temporary increase in the state sales tax to help pay for his plan to lower and eventually end his state’s income tax.

Along the way these governors are taking small first steps into a debate over what kind of tax system most encourages growth in a 21st-century economy. In particular they are focusing attention on the idea, long championed by conservatives but accepted up to a point by economists of all stripes, that the economy would be better served by focusing taxation on consumption rather than on income.

Taxing consumption has the potential to lift economic growth by encouraging more savings and investment. But the shift could also increase inequality by reducing taxes predominantly for the wealthy, who spend a smaller share of their income than middle- and lower-income people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/us/politics/republican-governors-push-taxes-on-sales-not-income.html?pagewanted=1&hp

---------------------------------------

If these governors feel their states don't need to tax their citizens at current rates, I would suggest they don't need to tax other Americans either. Most of these states take more federal money than they contribute. It would follow that any state that doesn't need to tax its corporations doesn't need federal money either. We should allocate these funds back to the states that contribute more than they have taken back from the federal government, the ones form which these "lower state income tax" states are expecting to take jobs.

I find it strange when a state enacts taxation that is the same rate for everyone is described as regressive.  I look at it and say, finally, everyone is paying their "fair share".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to Newtster's comment:

Maybe you will figure it out when we start losing more jobs and high income taxpayers to these states. Heck, why do think Rose Kennedy suddenly became a citizen of FLorida when she died??

Look at the disaster that is California. The revenues go down, they increase rates and the revenues go down further. People and business are leaving that state in droves. And behind are left a higher and higher percentage of low income earners and others that are a burden on state services.

I cannot remember the exact dates but California's population has grown by 1 million in the last ten years with only 100,000 more people paying taxes - the way you would want it - "progressive" income taxes.

We should tax the poor more than the rich because rich people like it when that happens. Good argument.

How is taxing everyone at the same rate taxing the poor more?

to me it sounds like everyone ends up paying their fair share.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Liberals love income taxes and hate it when the tax load shifts towconsumption potion taxes.

it is easy to demonize those earn more and demonize them as needling to pay more, because they don't need it, they earned too much, and so on.  

Much harder to tell a low income person that they need to pay a five cent tax on a pack of gum, and to tell me I need to pay a fourty dollar tax for the same pack of gum.  Even low-information voters get this.

Sections
Shortcuts