gound zero mosque

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

gound zero mosque

So, no one is really talking about this story now that the election is over. Just like I said would happen. It was an engineered issue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pgcat103. Show pgcat103's posts

Re: gound zero mosque

one of the most basic of rights is religous freedom. our intelligent fore fathers saw how religion messed up the way europeans lived and did not want that to happen here. as long as you are a  U.S.CITIZEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO PRACTICE ANY RELIGION YOU MAY SEE FIT

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

I still doubt that it will ever be built there.  They have no money at this time, I dont see steel workers lining up to build it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

One of the most ridiculous "issues" ever.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wraughn. Show wraughn's posts

I have nothing against freedom of any religion.  I can also understand why France started limiting the numbers of mosques.  Their skylines started looking like Beirut.  They like the traditional European look better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from estep11. Show estep11's posts

Good old muslim tradition of building Mosques in victory sites.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque:
    Good old muslim tradition of building Mosques in victory sites.
    Posted by estep11

You do realize there is no such thing as a vcitory mosques. Most cultures traditionally errrect their holy sites on the sites considered sacred by the conqeured, but there is no real recent tradition of victory mosques. Nor is victory mosque a concept in Islam or Arabic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

Forum - Can you clarify for us the concepts of beheading and the stoning of woman? I find primitive culture fascinating and want to learn more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Forum - Can you clarify for us the concepts of beheading and the stoning of woman? I find primitive culture fascinating and want to learn more.
    Posted by pymus1

Women are treated pretty awful in many Muslim countries, particularly where you have strict literalist and traditionalist muslim populations. I've made no excuses for that sort of behavior. But the mosque in question is in the sufi tradition, and the guy is pretty moderate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque : Not recent for sure, but the Temple on the Mount does seem to fit the equation, and thats kinda a biggie
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Of course, that is a sacred place for Islam too...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque : Not recent for sure, but the Temple on the Mount does seem to fit the equation, and thats kinda a biggie
    Posted by GreginMeffa

In that case, you ahve to talk about victory churches and cathedrals as well. But in both cases, these are more about three related faiths recognizing the same land as sacred.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from estep11. Show estep11's posts

No need to practice "Taqiyya" in this forum. The Koran sanctions the building of Mosques on battle sites.

Koran (018:021)

"Taqiyya" which is inspired by the example of Mohamed, praised in the Hadiths as "the greatest deceiver". Taqiyya is religiously sanctioned lying, deception and tactical dissimulation. It can take the form of lying, talking in circles, playing the victim, false claims of torture, blaming others for evil acts, saying Islam forbids that,etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Ha ha ha. Did you look that up on Answers dot com? Because you repeat what someone says there almost verbatim. Again, victory mosques aren't really a concept in Islam. ANd while JUdaism, Christianty and Islam all have traditions of errrecting religious structures in places they have conquered, those really aren't things any of the faiths do any more. I am honeslty much more concerned about iconoclastic tendancies of extreme Islamists, than of their tendancy to build things.

Estep, Taqiya is something we've discussed extensivley here already.

First, Tqiya just means lying. And it is treated very differently in Sunni and Shi'a and just because it exists, that doesn't mean you should assume Muslims are always concealing something.

Second, the only reason the concept exists is because Muslims regard lying as bad in the first place. Within the Sunni tradition, one can conceal one's faith in order to save a life. But it isn't generally regarded as a way of promoting the religion. It is really with the Shia, that you see the concept as understood by a lot of right wing pundits these days. That has to do with the history of the sect, and its need for secrecy in its early history. But Sunni's, being in the extreme majority, never really engaged in that kind of taqiyya. One thing I will say about sunnis, and this even goes for Sunni's I've met with extreme points of view, being openly truthful about their beliefs is quite common. Just look at a guy like NIdal Hassan; he wasn't hiding his views as they became more extreme, he was flaunting them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque : For the Jews MILLENIA before Islam.  That Temple was built by CONQUERORS. I most certainly fits the bill, s'all I'm saying.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

I think the issue is, people are acting as if victory mosque, is a concept in Islam just like Jihad or one of the five pillars. When in truth, the practice of building religious structures following the acquisition of territory or on land mutally viewed as sacred, was common in the history of all three abrahamic faiths. And today, none of them really practice it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

It was an engineered issue.
    Posted by ForumCleaner

Even the BDC ultracons aren't complaining anymore...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque : Am I one of those? I've supported the Mosque from day 1
    Posted by GreginMeffa

No.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque : Am I one of those? I've supported the Mosque from day 1
    Posted by GreginMeffa

I think you were the only one who supported it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque : I think you were the only one who supported it.
    Posted by ForumCleaner

Wrong. I had no problem with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: gound zero mosque : For the Jews MILLENIA before Islam.  That Temple was built by CONQUERORS. I most certainly fits the bill, s'all I'm saying.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

You are missing the point.  It wasn't built as a "victory mosque", but to celebrate the importance of the location under the Islamic faith (location of Mohammad's ascent to heaven). 

Sections
Shortcuts