Governor Scott: I Won't Repeal Stand Your Ground

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Governor Scott: I Won't Repeal Stand Your Ground

Notwithstanding the talkative egotistical former law professor and Al Sharpton wanna- be who opined at length today on the evils of racism of America, and how awful it is to live here (he  also moonlights as President), Florida's Stand Your Ground Law had NOTHING to do with the Zimmerman trial.

Governor Scott  to his credit is always respectful to those opposing his conservative views, and met with opponents; a courtesy never given him by the union and leftist fanatics who oppose him.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

It comes down to this guys. Regardless of how they got there (I believe that it was due to a combination of poor decisions made by both Zimmerman and Martin) the bottom line is that Martin ended up on top of Zimmerman and, according to an eye witness, was pummeling him "MMA style."

The question at this point is "did Zimmerman have a right to use deadly force to defend himself?"

The law, the police, and now the jury all say that he did, but the reason for this is that he acted in self-defense. It has nothing to do with any "stand your ground" law because at that point he didn't have the option to retreat which is the fundamental basis for the law. He was justifiably in fear for his life at that point and acted accordingly.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"The jury received standard jury instructions, which includes everything but the kitchen sink.  Zimmerman did not invoke the Stand Your Ground provision. Zimmerman later waived his right to a pretrial immunity hearing under the Stand Your Ground procedures.

And as National Review’s Sterling Beard points out, “The only time Stand Your Ground came up during the trial proper was when a prosecution witness stated that he’d taught a class Zimmerman had attended that covered Stand Your Ground.”

Even the prosecution rejects the cynical attempt to tie Martin’s death to Stand Your Ground. Prosecutor John Guy couldn’t have made it clearer during the trial: “This case is not about standing your ground.” During their post-trial press conference, as conservative talk show host Victoria Taft first noted, a Miami Herald reporter asked the prosecution team specifically whether Stand Your Ground “affected the facts in this case and whether this case could have been won, perhaps, pre the changes in the law.”

Prosecutor Bernie De La Rionda replied: “You know, self-defense has existed for a long time. And we’ve dealt with it in Jackson for a long time. We’ve tried a lot of self-defense cases; I’ve personally tried 10-15 self-defense cases. They’re tough cases, but we accept it so … the law really hasn’t changed all that much. Stand Your Ground was a big thing, but really the law hasn’t changed. We have a right to bear arms and a right to self defense.”

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/07/17/eric_holders_stand_your_ground_squirrel_119255.html#ixzz2ZarebDjs
    Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter