Great Moments in Nationalization of Healthcare

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Great Moments in Nationalization of Healthcare

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/08/26/13229/claims-processors-received-bonuses-while-backlog-more-doubled

While veterans waited longer than ever in recent years for their wartime disability compensation, the Department of Veterans Affairs gave its workers millions of dollars in bonuses for “excellent” performances that effectively encouraged them to avoid claims that needed extra work to document veterans’ injuries, a News21 investigation has found.

Yeah, let's turn the rest of our healthcare system to these clowns.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Re: Great Moments in Nationalization of Healthcare

Although this is shameful, and corrections to the bonus plan are needed, lets not pretend that private or non-profit HMO managers aren't rewarded with rediculous bonuses for fcuking over their policy holders and taxpayers in a hundred different ways.

So thousands of claims officers for the VA split bonuses totalling $5.5 million.  That sounds roughly like the amount that a single HMO executive would get each year for a bonus. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/08/26/13229/claims-processors-received-bonuses-while-backlog-more-doubled

While veterans waited longer than ever in recent years for their wartime disability compensation, the Department of Veterans Affairs gave its workers millions of dollars in bonuses for “excellent” performances that effectively encouraged them to avoid claims that needed extra work to document veterans’ injuries, a News21 investigation has found.

First I have to say - I am an Independent. I do not like either party. SO I have no political axe to grind (other than the desire to stop the buying of our government).

I agree with you that the VA has too often done a bad job. Sometimes quite shamefully. ANd yes I am being generous with my words. BUT... what is happening with the new health care law is taking away some of the same sort of shameful actions that the current system inflicts on everyone (except our elected officials!). In order to find new ways to make a buck insurance companies developed "strategies" to take our payments and then NOT deliver health care. People remained very sick and some were unable to continue working. SOMe people actually died because of the actions of insurance companies. If corporations were truly people some of them would be sentienced with capital punishment. The new law is eliminating some of the worst of those things that they do. 

And while there is a lot of hot air regarding cost of health care, that has actually been one of the absolute failures of the current system. We pay more money for less medical care than almost all the rest of the world. Whether you look at it from a business point of view or a family point of view or individual point of view the way out of control increases in cost over years and years... AND YEARS... has led to this way out of control, run away cost but with no benefit to business, families or individuals.

One falsehood being told in order to create anger and fear for political gain (and again I am being quite generous with my words) is that the government will be doling out health insurance. Not only is it completely false, just look at the companies whose stocks have gone up the most the last couple of years. Insurance companies! Because the truth is they will continue to make good money in their business. If it were the goverfnment then health insurance companies would be seeing their stocks plumet. But is has been just the opposite!!! Everyone outside of Medicare (the most efficient health care we have in this country and which IS overseen by the government!) will be getting their health insurance from the PRIVATE SECTOR. Just the insirance companies will have a few less ways to steal your money - that is take your payments and yet not deliver what YOU pay for.

Repectfully, I suggest we all look at this issue soberly and not simply nod our heads to the words of some not very informed - or worse, some very misleading - talking heads. If there is any question... just follow the money. Health insurance companies are doing well and their stocks are way up. If you follow the money it does not lie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:

Although this is shameful, and corrections to the bonus plan are needed, lets not pretend that private or non-profit HMO managers aren't rewarded with rediculous bonuses for fcuking over their policy holders and taxpayers in a hundred different ways.

So thousands of claims officers for the VA split bonuses totalling $5.5 million.  That sounds roughly like the amount that a single HMO executive would get each year for a bonus. 

My problem with it is not so much the bonuses but that their claims processing is dysfunctional. 

That is what we will be in for with Obamacare - dysfunction which ultimately leads to higher costs and bad service. 

Perhaps the fact that huge portions of the program have been put off might be a clue to you that we are in for problems? Or perhaps that  the exchange software does not work properly even though they have spent $85 million on it might be another clue? Or that in spite of all the money they throw at it, they still cannot require an applicant to validate their income qualifications??

It is going to be a huge clusterfork.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

My problem with it is not so much the bonuses but that their claims processing is dysfunctional. 

That is what we will be in for with Obamacare - dysfunction which ultimately leads to higher costs and bad service. 

Luckily the govt won't be doing any claims processing for Obamacare. The insurers offering the plans on the exchange will be doing the claims processing

Perhaps the fact that huge portions of the program have been put off might be a clue to you that we are in for problems? Or perhaps that  the exchange software does not work properly even though they have spent $85 million on it might be another clue? Or that in spite of all the money they throw at it, they still cannot require an applicant to validate their income qualifications??

It is going to be a huge clusterfork.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[QUOTE]

First I have to say - I am an Independent. I do not like either party. SO I have no political axe to grind (other than the desire to stop the buying of our government).

I agree with you that the VA has too often done a bad job. Sometimes quite shamefully. ANd yes I am being generous with my words. BUT... what is happening with the new health care law is taking away some of the same sort of shameful actions that the current system inflicts on everyone (except our elected officials!). In order to find new ways to make a buck insurance companies developed "strategies" to take our payments and then NOT deliver health care. People remained very sick and some were unable to continue working. SOMe people actually died because of the actions of insurance companies. If corporations were truly people some of them would be sentienced with capital punishment. The new law is eliminating some of the worst of those things that they do. 

And while there is a lot of hot air regarding cost of health care, that has actually been one of the absolute failures of the current system. We pay more money for less medical care than almost all the rest of the world. Whether you look at it from a business point of view or a family point of view or individual point of view the way out of control increases in cost over years and years... AND YEARS... has led to this way out of control, run away cost but with no benefit to business, families or individuals.

One falsehood being told in order to create anger and fear for political gain (and again I am being quite generous with my words) is that the government will be doling out health insurance. Not only is it completely false, just look at the companies whose stocks have gone up the most the last couple of years. Insurance companies! Because the truth is they will continue to make good money in their business. If it were the goverfnment then health insurance companies would be seeing their stocks plumet. But is has been just the opposite!!! Everyone outside of Medicare (the most efficient health care we have in this country and which IS overseen by the government!) will be getting their health insurance from the PRIVATE SECTOR. Just the insirance companies will have a few less ways to steal your money - that is take your payments and yet not deliver what YOU pay for.

Repectfully, I suggest we all look at this issue soberly and not simply nod our heads to the words of some not very informed - or worse, some very misleading - talking heads. If there is any question... just follow the money. Health insurance companies are doing well and their stocks are way up. If you follow the money it does not lie.

[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of distortions rolling around on Obamacare. Plenty of it is on the part of the President himself and the bald-faced lies he told to garner support. Another distortion used by proponents is that if you oppose Obamcare or want to defund it you are taking health care away from people.

That is just another lie told by proponents who themselves like to ignore the fact that Obamacare is mostly about insurance and misguided attempts to control healthcare cost to the government.

One reason we pay more money for health care here is because of our behavior which the heatlh care system cannot control.  We are fat, lazy. We are violent with lots of healthcare devoted to gun shot wounds, crime and accidents. 

Also our healthcare system is designed to treat people when they get sick, not to prevent them from getting sick in the first place. There are parts of Obamacare that could change that for the better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of distortions rolling around on Obamacare. Plenty of it is on the part of the President himself and the bald-faced lies he told to garner support. Another distortion used by proponents is that if you oppose Obamcare or want to defund it you are taking health care away from people.

That is just another lie told by proponents who themselves like to ignore the fact that Obamacare is mostly about insurance and misguided attempts to control healthcare cost to the government.

One reason we pay more money for health care here is because of our behavior which the heatlh care system cannot control.  We are fat, lazy. We are violent with lots of healthcare devoted to gun shot wounds, crime and accidents. 

Also our healthcare system is designed to treat people when they get sick, not to prevent them from getting sick in the first place. There are parts of Obamacare that could change that for the better.

[/QUOTE]

It is hard to blame anyone right or left on this issue for misinformation on Obamacare.  One of it's key strengths is its complexity and paradoxical changes.

But, as to the failure of the healthcare system in general:  This is what happens when government gets more and more invovled with health care over time.  Government spending on health care is at about 51%, give or take, so it has a massive dislocating effect on the system.  That number is headed up to 66% with the provisions in OBamacare.

So, leave aside the ins and outs of underwriting and what is covered.  That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't get tot the real issue here.  The larger problem is that increased government spending on health care over the years has blown up the system, and as Obamacare rolls out, it will continue to dislocate.

What the politicians should have done, if they really had our best interests in mind, is work on ways to roll back the government intrusion into the market.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

So, one person sez health care costs are so high because americans are fat and lazy.

Another sez they're high because the govt buys a lot of it..

Another could say that govt spends a lot on it because the costs are so high.

Yet another could say the costs are high because the demand is so high.

Nobody can explain why so much is spent for such relatively mediocre care (for the majority of recipients - insured or uninsured) by global standards.

Or why such huge price disparities occur from state-to-state and facility-to-facility with NO correlation to overall quality.

Or how the sheer volume of the overall employer-based insurance market effectively distorts the individual market.

About half of americans get their health care coverage through work.  The other half get it themselves, through the govt, or don't have it at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

wait until you see what Obamacare does to the economy going into the Fall/Winter...yikes!!....how does a company go into budget season for 2014 not knowing the full impact of their healthcare costs??? i know i know!!!! 

They postpone hiring, growth initiatives, acquisitions and investment....some lay people off....this Obamacare thing is going to be exciting!!!!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

wait until you see what Obamacare does to the economy going into the Fall/Winter...yikes!!....how does a company go into budget season for 2014 not knowing the full impact of their healthcare costs??? i know i know!!!! 

They postpone hiring, growth initiatives, acquisitions and investment....some lay people off....this Obamacare thing is going to be exciting!!!!!

If it's anything like Mass, children will be enrolled in droves at the start.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

You think he (or any republican) cares about that?

Human decency isn't in the Republican lexicon. To them, every unfortunate soul who is dropped by their health insurer, can't afford insurance, or simply has a run of horrible luck...is irresponsible, a freeloader, trying to game the system, and deserving of whatever fate befalls them.

They have no compunction about telling their less fortunate neighbors to take a hike, lest it muck up their chances for a new round of tax cuts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Human decency isn't in the Republican lexicon. To them, every unfortunate soul who is dropped by their health insurer, can't afford insurance, or simply has a run of horrible luck...is irresponsible, a freeloader, trying to game the system, and deserving of whatever fate befalls them.

They have no compunction about telling their less fortunate neighbors to take a hike, lest it muck up their chances for a new round of tax cuts.

[/QUOTE]

Too bad.

The result is that less than 2% of children in Mass are uninsured.

Kinda makes one proud to live here...

...and baffling why repubs can't and won't take credit for some of their ideas working in practice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HYPERBOLE at its best. Kudos!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Hyperbole?  How else can one explain the opposition?

Despite the fear campaign, the law isn't all that complicated and I think you know that.  The foundation of "Obamacare" rests on 3 basic priciples.

First, all Americans should have access to affordable insurance, even if they have pre-existing medical problems.

Second, people should be required to buy insurance even if they’re currently healthy, so that the risk pool remains reasonably favorable.

Third, to prevent the “mandate” from being too onerous, there should be subsidies to hold premiums down as a share of income.

Thats really it.  These 3 concepts, if you believe in them, will end a lot of misery in this country.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

Despite the fear campaign, the law isn't all that complicated and I think you know that.  The foundation of "Obamacare" rests on 3 basic priciples.

First, all Americans should have access to affordable insurance, even if they have pre-existing medical problems.

Second, people should be required to buy insurance even if they’re currently healthy, so that the risk pool remains reasonably favorable.

Third, to prevent the “mandate” from being too onerous, there should be subsidies to hold premiums down as a share of income.

Thats really it.  These 3 concepts, if you believe in them, will end a lot of misery in this country.

[/QUOTE]

To say Republicans don't care about kids is simply a jacka55 thing to say. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

That wasn't I said.  They care plenty about their own kids.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

Does Obamacare order private insurance companies to hire those Department of Veteran Affairs workers?

[/QUOTE]

As many Dems have said, Obamacare is just the next step towards single payer. If the VA siutation were isolated or if it were newly discovered then maybe you could hope that service would improve. Unfortunately, our government has proven time and again that it is incapable of doing much of anything faster, cheaper or better than the private sector. We are highly likely to get the same rotten high cost service as the VA provides today. Medicare and Medicaid not far behind the VA either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

That wasn't I said.  They care plenty about their own kids.

[/QUOTE]

You just topped yourself. You're on a roll...not a good one...but on a roll none the less. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Does Obamacare order private insurance companies to hire those Department of Veteran Affairs workers?

As many Dems have said, Obamacare is just the next step towards single payer. If the VA siutation were isolated or if it were newly discovered then maybe you could hope that service would improve. Unfortunately, our government has proven time and again that it is incapable of doing much of anything faster, cheaper or better than the private sector. We are highly likely to get the same rotten high cost service as the VA provides today. Medicare and Medicaid not far behind the VA either.

Perhaps its time you read some Medicare satisfaction surveys.  Most Americans breathe a sigh of relief when they are old enough to enroll.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

Perhaps its time you read some Medicare satisfaction surveys.  Most Americans breathe a sigh of relief when they are old enough to enroll.

[/QUOTE]

Is it Medicare or Medicare Advantage they are satisfied with? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

I've read studies where medicare satisfaction is around 70%, and medicare advantage is closer to 90%. 

Both sound good.  Try getting 7 or 9 out of 10 seniors to be satisfied with anything.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

I've read studies where medicare satisfaction is around 70%, and medicare advantage is closer to 90%. 

Both sound good.  Try getting 7 or 9 out of 10 seniors to be satisfied with anything.

[/QUOTE]

So the private insurer-run medicare is much better than the govt medicare. Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts