Great Moments in Privatization of Government Functions

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Great Moments in Privatization of Government Functions

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

The private contractor who vetted Edward Snowden also ran the background check on the navy yard shooter.

USIS, the Falls Church government contractor that handled the background check for National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden, said Thursday that it also vetted Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis for his ­secret-level clearance in 2007.

The company, which is under criminal investigation over whether it misled the government about the thoroughness of its background checks, said earlier this week that it had not handled Alexis’s case.

USIS spokesman Ray Howell said the company got new information Thursday.

“Today we were informed that in 2007, USIS conducted a background check of Aaron Alexis” for the Office of Personnel Management, Howell said in a statement. “We are contractually prohibited from retaining case information gathered as part of the background checks we conduct for OPM and therefore are unable to comment further on the nature or scope of this or any other background check.”

USIS, which was spun off from the federal government in the 1990s, has become the largest private provider of government background checks. With 7,000 employees, the company handles about 45 percent of all background checks for the OPM, congressional staffers say.

Clearly our response should be to nationalize everything so this poor vetting would happen within the context of an unaccountable government.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

[QUOTE]

The private contractor who vetted Edward Snowden also ran the background check on the navy yard shooter.

USIS, the Falls Church government contractor that handled the background check for National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden, said Thursday that it also vetted Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis for his ­secret-level clearance in 2007.

The company, which is under criminal investigation over whether it misled the government about the thoroughness of its background checks, said earlier this week that it had not handled Alexis’s case.

USIS spokesman Ray Howell said the company got new information Thursday.

“Today we were informed that in 2007, USIS conducted a background check of Aaron Alexis” for the Office of Personnel Management, Howell said in a statement. “We are contractually prohibited from retaining case information gathered as part of the background checks we conduct for OPM and therefore are unable to comment further on the nature or scope of this or any other background check.”

USIS, which was spun off from the federal government in the 1990s, has become the largest private provider of government background checks. With 7,000 employees, the company handles about 45 percent of all background checks for the OPM, congressional staffers say.

Clearly our response should be to nationalize everything so this poor vetting would happen within the context of an unaccountable government.

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

There is probably a solution to the vetting problem, however, I do not believe you have found it quite yet.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, come on. Let's just have government do everything.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Great Moments in Government Efficiency and Accountability:

Um, still waiting for one...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

skeeter,

"skeeter,

There is probably a solution to the vetting problem, however, I do not believe you have found it quite yet

Oh, come on. Let's just have government do everything."

Okay.okay I give. How about they start with vacumning my home, doing my laundry, oiling my wood furniture, having my cars serviced and doing my grocery shopping.for a start. Some of the basics.

Then we can move on to the more tricky but necessary...like doing all the shopping and wrapping of birthday, anniversary, Xmas etc. presents. 

What do you think? Have some more ideas?

Well, that's the whole point of the original post, is it not?  Calling into question using private companies to do stuff?

Hey, let me ask you this:  how good of a job do you think government would do at cleaning your house?  Eh?  I think you know the answer to that, but might not want to admit it.

Yah, I think I just won your over.  You see the fallacy in thinking government does things, anything, well.  They only do things others cannot do, at best, fairly.

Welcome to the conservative side.  Come on.  Admit I've won you over in this back and forth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Oh, come on. Let's just have government do everything.

I'll settle for Biden locking you in a closet.

He can't. he's in Mexico.

Funny how Obama sends him out of the country now, before he shoots off his mouth.

Kinda like Obama's putting Biden in the closet, eh?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

"skeeter,

There is probably a solution to the vetting problem, however, I do not believe you have found it quite yet

Oh, come on. Let's just have government do everything."

Okay.okay I give. How about they start with vacumning my home, doing my laundry, oiling my wood furniture, having my cars serviced and doing my grocery shopping.for a start. Some of the basics.

Then we can move on to the more tricky but necessary...like doing all the shopping and wrapping of birthday, anniversary, Xmas etc. presents. 

What do you think? Have some more ideas?

Well, that's the whole point of the original post, is it not?  Calling into question using private companies to do stuff?

Hey, let me ask you this:  how good of a job do you think government would do at cleaning your house?  Eh?  I think you know the answer to that, but might not want to admit it.

Yah, I think I just won your over.  You see the fallacy in thinking government does things, anything, well.  They only do things others cannot do, at best, fairly.

Welcome to the conservative side.  Come on.  Admit I've won you over in this back and forth.

skeeter,

IF being a conservative means the government will do every single rote job I need to perform in my every day life then maybe, just maybe you win. I will change sides...sell out...whatever...so I can concentrate on everything else that makes up a life.

So skeeter, you can welcome me to the dark side. :)

[/QUOTE]

I think, and I know you are doing this on purpose, missing the point.

the point is that government is NOT the answer, as shown by the house cleaning example.  They would NOT do a good job cleaning your house.  why? Because there is no incentive for them to do a good job.

admit it.  I'm winning you over.  Come on.  It's sunny and warm here On this side.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

skeeter,

Seriously, history is full of examples where the government did not do and/or would not do a very good job at the task at hand and private enterprise was a better way to go. You are right there.

However, in the case of health insurance private enterprise alone was not working. Not even close. It was beyond time for change.

And for the GOP to continue to vote to repeal this law rather then to work with it does not really work for me either.

Ah, dodging.  I made the case, won the argument, now you are moving off point.

Health insurance in this country was already not private enterprise, as @50% of all health care was provided by the government in one form or another.

Plus, government regulations hopelessly hampered the private market.

But, despite this, 85% of the people liked it just the way it was.

This law should be repealed, it isn't working.  But, I do agree the Republicans will be made to pay, by the press in particular.  what the republicans don't understand is that the press is a wholy owned subsidiary of the democrat party, and will do their lying an manipulating to keep power...er, I mean Obamacare.

there is still time to join the side of freedom loving conservatives.  Come on.  There is one seat left on the bus.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental problems, including paranoia and a sleep disorder, and had been hearing voices in his head, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation was still going on.

He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.

Last I checked the Navy is not a private entity. Just sayin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 8101956. Show 8101956's posts

Mr. Skeeter .. did you really say that the Press is owned by the Democratic Party ........ "ahem" didn't Chuck Todd an MSNBC host say on TV that it isn't his job to point out Republicans lies ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to 8101956's comment:

Mr. Skeeter .. did you really say that the Press is owned by the Democratic Party ........ "ahem" didn't Chuck Todd an MSNBC host say on TV that it isn't his job to point out Republicans lies ?

While I don't believe the press is owned by the Dems...what Chuck Todd says is hardly proof of that. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

[QUOTE]

While I don't believe the press is owned by the Dems...what Chuck Todd says is hardly proof of that. 

[/QUOTE]

Yah, I'm stretchig the point a bit.  but, don't tell me the press is even handed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental problems, including paranoia and a sleep disorder, and had been hearing voices in his head, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation was still going on.

He had been treated since August by Veterans Affairs, the officials said.

The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.

Last I checked the Navy is not a private entity. Just sayin.

Don't stand in the way of the liberal screed on capitalism.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yah, I'm stretchig the point a bit.  but, don't tell me the press is even handed.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely not even handed. That's been proven over and over

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

skeeter, 

Starting next week, millions of Americans will be able to enroll in new, affordable insurance plans, with coverage effective as early as Jan. 1. All insurance plans will have to cover doctor visits, hospitalizations, maternity care, emergency room care, and prescription drugs. You can find a plan that fits your budget and get financial help paying for premiums if you need it. You may also get help with cost-sharing, such as deductibles and co-payments. And insurance plans can't refuse to cover you if you have a pre-existing condition. 

For millions of Americans, this day could not come soon enough.

Obamacare may not be perfect...yet...but it is a damn sight better then what we had.

This year millions of American workers got a 25% pay cut because of Obamacare. No doubt they are delirious with joy to make such a contribution to the ruling class you so much adore.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

skeeter,

Seriously, history is full of examples where the government did not do and/or would not do a very good job at the task at hand and private enterprise was a better way to go. You are right there.

However, in the case of health insurance private enterprise alone was not working. Not even close. It was beyond time for change.

And for the GOP to continue to vote to repeal this law rather then to work with it does not really work for me either.

Health insurance in this country was already not private enterprise, as @50% of all health care was provided by the government in one form or another.

This law should be repealed, it isn't working.  But, I do agree the Republicans will be made to pay, by the press in particular.  what the republicans don't understand is that the press is a wholy owned subsidiary of the democrat party, and will do their lying an manipulating to keep power...er, I mean Obamacare.

there is still time to join the side of freedom loving conservatives.  Come on.  There is one seat left on the bus.

skeeter,

Before Obamacare there were 2 types of people....those with health insurance and those without.

Those with were not necessarily happy with their insurance nor with the country's health insurance industry.

Even more problematic were those without any coverage whatsoever.

What do you say to those millions of people without health insurance if you get what you want? 

I'd say:

1. Is there a way you can afford insurance? Stop spending money on useless items like cigarettes booze lottery tickets cabletv, etc. 

2. If you still can't afford it after that, sign up for Medicaid

If I sign up for insurance on the Obamacare exhanges I do not even have to verify my income status to get a subsidy. That is criminal rape of the taxpayer. In effect that means the taxpayer is supporting the irresponsible behaviors of many Americans that could pay for their own insurance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

skeeter,

Before Obamacare there were 2 types of people....those with health insurance and those without.

Those with were not necessarily happy with their insurance nor with the country's health insurance industry.

That's a bit of a generalization. I've never had an issue with my insurance coverage. Don't personally know anyone who's had issue with their insurer. The only stories you hear about are the negative ones. Houndreds of millions of people are covered through insurance in this country. The way people like you talk about the "big bad" insurers there whould be hundreds of millions of negative stories. There should be hundreds of millions of claims being denied...again according to some people who act like insurers never cover anything. Yet that ain't the case. 

What do you say to those millions of people without health insurance if you get what you want? 

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

skeeter,

skeeter,

[/QUOTE]

Evidently 85% ofthose with insurance were happy with it prior to OBamacare.

Those without coverage have the emergency room.

What I say to those millions without health insurance, is this:  Anythign worth having requires work, so, stop wearing your hat backwards, covering your body with tatoos, and get a job.