greginmeffa - outed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

greginmeffa - outed

OK, cards on the table, "outed" should be " - a tribute".

About 13 months ago, greginmeffa began inviting anyone who would come to the Malden Church of the Immaculate Conception Knights of Columbus chapter's St. Patrick's Day benefit dinner.  He kept it up here for a month.

Greg's style was mostly "zingers".  They usually were short, cogent, and on the opposite side from me.  But they were often so sharply wry that I once suggested that if he only could draw, that he'd make a good political cartoonist.  I also picked up when he let it slip that he was actually married to one of us.  And I appreciated his integrity - that he didn't change his name after the election.  So I bit.

When I turned up, I told someone who looked like he was involved in managing the event that I was looking for "Greg", and all that I knew was his first name was Greg, he lived in Medford, he participated in a political forum, and he was conservative.  TMI.  "The only Greg I know of is over there at the piano."

There, his back to the vast church basement, was Greg, waxing away beautifully on the piano.  I approached him when the piece was finished, and asked, "Are you 'greginmeffa'?  The little smile was all the answer he got out.  "I am Firewind and I did see the Dalai Lama at the Meadow Glen Mall."  The sun dawning on his face was perfect.  All he could say was, "You came!"

"Seems to me that you only write when it can be boiled down to a few words."  The grin again.  That was as far as we took it.

I wish it were enough to say that Greg Vincent was nothing like his persona in BDC.  He was all over the place.  Greeting people.  Back at the piano.  Playing for the step dancers.  Serving.  "Take the red corned beef!  I made it!  Not the grey..."  Helping the elderly, who all knew him.  And back to me: "You came!"  What a smile.  After dinner, when coffee was put out: "Want something in it?"  "No, milk's fine."  "Do.you.want.something.in.it?!"  As Irish as Paddy's...

I found a table among some very nice people.  Halfway through my corned beef, there was Greg, sitting at the table.  "You came!"  And, "Got everything OK?"  I'd already told the people my story.  They heard it again.

I saw him whisper something to the first guy I'd approached.  After a while, the guy came over and handed me an application to be a member of the Knights of Columbus.  I had to decline.  "...Boston...no car...subway...bus..."  (...not Catholic...)

Finally, "See you next year!!!"  Leaving me with a sore arm, and a warm feeling in all other respects.

Last month, I looked up when the event was going to be this year.  March 15.  OK, not seeing him here for a while, I was going to ask, "Who are you now in BDC?"  Had he caved?  Looked up the particulars last night.  Somehow, I'd missed this...

http://massachusetts.obituaries.funeral.com/2013/08/13/mr-gregory-vincent-8102013-medford-ma-malden-ma-somerville-ma-boston-ma/

So ................. I;m heading over there now, and I'm going to tell everyone I meet: "I'm here because of Greg Vincent."  That way, I'll see his smile again.

One last thing.  You haven't seen me on the board for a year now.  And if I may: That's the way to prevail.  He took the pi$$ right out of me.  Twice, now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: greginmeffa - outed

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story, and the very sad information. So sorry to hear of Greg's passing!

He has already been sorely missed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Thanks for sharing. This news bums me out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

That is a bummer. I figured something tragic must have happened based on the way he abruptly stopped posting. Part of me did have some hope it was because he was just done with BDC, but sadly that wasn't the case. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, cards on the table, "outed" should be " - a tribute".

About 13 months ago, greginmeffa began inviting anyone who would come to the Malden Church of the Immaculate Conception Knights of Columbus chapter's St. Patrick's Day benefit dinner.  He kept it up here for a month.

Greg's style was mostly "zingers".  They usually were short, cogent, and on the opposite side from me.  But they were often so sharply wry that I once suggested that if he only could draw, that he'd make a good political cartoonist.  I also picked up when he let it slip that he was actually married to one of us.  And I appreciated his integrity - that he didn't changw his name after the election.  So I bit.

When I turned up, I told someone who looked like he was involved in managing the event that I was looking for "Greg", and all that I knew was his first name was Greg, he lived in Medford, he participated in a political forum, and he was conservative.  TMI.  "The only Greg I know of is over there at the piano."

There, his back to the vast church basement, was Greg, waxing away beautifully on the piano.  I approached him when the piece was finished, and asked, "Are you 'greginmeffa'?
      The little smile was all the answer he got out.  "I am Firewind and I did see the Dalai Lama at the Meadow Glen Mall."  The sun dawning on his face was perfect.  All he could say was, "You came!"

"Seems to me that you only write when it can be boiled down to a few words."  The grin again.  That was as far as we took it.

I wish it were enough to say that Greg Vincent was nothing like his persona in BDC.  He was all over the place.  Greeting people.  Back at the piano.  Playing for the step dancers.  Serving.  "Take the red corned beef!  I made it!  Not the grey..."  Helping the elderly, who all knew him.  And back to me: "You came!"  What a smile.  After dinner, when coffee was put out: "Want something in it?"  "No, milk's fine."  "Do.you.want.something.in.it?!"  As Irish as Paddy's...

I found a table among some very nice people.  Halfway through my corned beef, there was Greg, sitting at the table.  "You came!"  And, "Got everything OK?"  I'd already told the people my story.  They heard it again.

I saw him whisper something to the first guy I'd approached.  After a while, the guy came over and handed me an application to be a member of the Knights of Columbus.  I had to decline.  "...Boston...no car...subway...bus..."  (...not Catholic...)

Finally, "See you next year!!!"  Leaving me with a sore arm, and a warm feeling in all other respects.

Last month, I looked up when the event was going to be this year.  March 15.  OK, not seeing him here for a while, I was going to ask, "Who are you now in BDC?"  Had he caved?  Looked up the particulars last night.  Somehow, I'd missed this...

http://massachusetts.obituaries.funeral.com/2013/08/13/mr-gregory-vincent-8102013-medford-ma-malden-ma-somerville-ma-boston-ma/

So ................. I;m heading over there now, and I'm going to tell everyone I meet: "I'm here because of Greg Vincent."  That way, I'll see his smile again.

One last thing.  You haven't seen me on the board for a year now.  And if I may: That's the way to prevail.  He took the pi$$ right out of me.  Twice, now.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing such a well written, bitter-sweet post. RIP greginmeffa.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

R.I.P.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

I'm breaking from my lenten break for a moment.

Thank you for posting Firewind. I searched to find GreginMeffa's last post, unfortunatly the BDC gremlin got all his posts :(

Rest in peace Greg...thoughts and prayers to his family.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Rest In Peace, Greg.

You have been and are missed.

Thank You Firewind for sharing your story and this news.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Mr. Gregory Vincent, a lifelong resident of Medford and beloved husband of Elaine F. (Gay) Vincent, died unexpectedly on Saturday, August 10, 2013. He was 52 years old.
    Mr. Vincent was a graduate of Medford High School and attended Rhode Island College. He worked as a Software Consultant for over twenty years and was an active member of the Knights of Columbus at the Immaculate Conception Church in Malden. Gregory was passionate about music and enjoyed playing the piano and guitar. He was also an avid reader. He will be sorely missed.
    In addition to his beloved wife, Elaine, Greg is survived by his loving children Laura M., Eric G. and Abigail E. Vincent, all of Medford; brothers Haywood “Woody” Vincent and Michael Vincent of Colorado; and dear cousins Mary Hilshey of Gloucester, John J. Martinez of Malden, Timothy J. Martinez of Londonderry and the late Christine LaCorcia.
    His funeral will be from the Beals-Geake-Magliozzi Funeral Home, 29 Governors Avenue, Medford, Friday, August 16, 2013, at 9:30 AM followed by a Mass of Christian Burial celebrated in the Immaculate Conception Church, 600 Pleasant Street, Malden at 10:30 AM. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend. Visiting hours will be held on Thursday, August 15, 2013, from 4 to 8 PM. Interment will be private. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a cause close to Greg’s heart: the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Boston, 9 Erie Dr., Natick, MA 01760. For additional information, please visit www.magliozzifuneralhome.com.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

What a shame. 52. RIP greginmeffa. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

I have a lump in my throat. RIP Gregin. I hope you're grilling up a storm wherever you are. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Very sad news, I wondered what had happened to him.  I always enjoyed his onlingers.  Nice to see that much of what he shared was his real life.

R.I.P.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Kind of makes things around here feel a bit more human, instead of anonymous political bloggers.

R.I.P Greg... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Cheers to a good man, taken too soon.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

I don't get to come here very often but, when I did, I noticed he hadn't been posting.  He was funny and quick.  Gone too soon.  RIP Greg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

R.I.P.

From one software consultant to another...he was a worthy foil, indeed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He was a person I enjoyed having the pleasure of speaking to.

A regular on the Music forums ,a fellow Pink Floyd and Ritchie Blackmore fan....if that was all he was, it was worth it....but surely it seems he was so much more. 

What a tragic loss. 52 seems so young, especially to someone who is 3 years older and expects to be here tormenting others for a while longer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

A regular on the Music forums ,a fellow Pink Floyd and Ritchie Blackmore fan....if that was all he was, it was worth it....but surely it seems he was so much more. 

What a tragic loss. 52 seems so young, especially to someone who is 3 years older and expects to be here tormenting others for a while longer.

2013soxchamps has bumped some threads where Greg contributed, and you two remind me of another conversation.  Greg came up to me and said, out of the blue, "Do you like the guitar picture?  That's really my guitar!"  He told me its provenance - 1960-something, I can't remember, and I can't remember whether he said it was a Fender or Gibson.  He was so proud of it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2013soxchamps has bumped some threads where Greg contributed, and you two remind me of another conversation.  Greg came up to me and said, out of the blue, "Do you like the guitar picture?  That's really my guitar!"  He told me its provenance - 1960-something, I can't remember, and I can't remember whether he said it was a Fender or Gibson.  He was so proud of it.

[/QUOTE]

Firewind,

Greg's guitar is a a Fender Stratocaster. 

I am sorry I cannot provide you with a year.

I also want to say I have been feeling sad since I first read of Greg's passing though I am very glad you posted this thread.  As Newman posted, it makes this all feel more humane rather than just anoymous political posters. To me, Greg and I were often on opposite sides of issues but it never ever got personal. He often I asked if we were okay afterward or sometimes I would do so. He would always answer, "Andie, we are always okay.". 

In additon, I would be remiss not to offer my deepest condolences to Greg's wife and their three children. (As you mentioned, she posts on this forum as well.) 

Mrs. Vincent, your husband is truly missed. My thoughts are with you and your family. I know come this August 10th...which by coincidence is my birthday...I will also be thinking of Greg.