Gun control bill support fades and gun purchases soar after Boston Bombings.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Gun control bill support fades and gun purchases soar after Boston Bombings.

Gun manufacturers and sellers LOVE IT when Washington talks gun control!!

The surge in gun and ammo purchases that began after Sandy Hook and continued through the Senate's failed gun control vote appears to have picked up steam again following the Boston Marathon bombing.

For example, at the Syracuse Gun Show on the New York State Fairgrounds last weekend, so many people showed up that some had to wait in line more than two hours just to get into the gun show. Those that waited did so on a windy day, amid sleet and snow flurries.

Moreover, for this specific gun show, few people came to sell guns; most came to buy them and find the ammo they needed for their guns at home.

Jeff Dillard, who runs the National Armory in Pompano Beach, FL, said the combination of the "terrorist attacks" and possible gun control legislation put people into a "panic situation" again.

He said acquiring ammunition and ammunition components is getting more and more difficult: "Our [ammunition] vendors are telling us not only are they out of stock but some are two to three million [bullets] in back order. They won't even take our orders because they don't know when they'll be able to fill them."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Gun control bill support fades and gun purchases soar after Boston Bombings.

Obama has proven to be the best gun salesman in history.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: Gun control bill support fades and gun purchases soar after Boston Bombings.

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

THAT is a fact!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Paranoia is contagious.

So is narcisscism, apparently....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Paranoia is contagious.

So is denial

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to tvoter's comment:

So is denial

Actually, that's a river in Egypt.

But I wonder what you call it when someone says "ooh, look, a tragedy caused some people to buy guns! HAHAHAAHH! YOU LOSE, SUCKERS!"

Who said that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Hanging on to guns and religion. It was considered an Obama politically incorrect outrage by the anti politically correct gun nuts during an election cycle but now seems to be more true than expected.

Funny that, or in Boston speak...What a shockah!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

So is denial

But I wonder what you call it when someone says "ooh, look, a tragedy caused some people to buy guns! HAHAHAAHH! YOU LOSE, SUCKERS!"

Who said that?

It is a summary of Tvoter's thinking.

And it is disgusting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

So is denial

Who said that?

And it is disgusting.

Oh so you're a mind reader now? Who knew...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

its all about politics in America; not doing right or wrong as much as what's politically correct according to political ideology!

sigh

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

It is a summary of Tvoter's thinking. And it is disgusting.

Pinkie isn't good with summaries, paraphrases, or really anything other than a blindly trusting face-value reading of what someone says. Unless, of course, our hypocrite-in-chief is doing the summaries, paraphrasing, or putting of words in mouths by his own glorious and exalted Hall Monitor self...   

That's hilarious coming from you. You are always the first one for calling people out for using a crystal ball when people make assumptions of one what is "thinking" or if one ponders what might happen in any given situation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Paranoia is contagious.

So is denial

Denial of what...?

People are mental if they think their gun purchase is in any way justified by any single terror attack in the u.s.  

Paranoia is a gross conceit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Denial of what...?

People are mental if they think their gun purchase is in any way justified by any single terror attack in the u.s.  

Justified?

They do not need to justify anything!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Paranoia is contagious.

So is denial

Denial of what...?

People are free to buy guns for whatever reason they want. To be honest I'm very surprised at how judgemental you are. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

So is denial

Who said that?

And it is disgusting.

Yes, I take evidence into account and determine the intent of people.  Every one does this.  Except you.  HA, HA, HA...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

its all about politics in America; not doing right or wrong as much as what's politically correct according to political ideology!

sigh

No.  It is about doing the right thing given a balancing of the rights of the individual and the needs of society.  It is a flexible approach.  This is something you don't understand because of your political ideological rigidity.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Paranoia is contagious.

So is denial

Denial of what...?

People are free to buy guns for whatever reason they want. To be honest I'm very surprised at how judgemental you are. 

Yes, they are.  But a gun is not a candy bar; it's likely not a purchase that's made on a whim.

But if the decision IS made based on what they read in the news, that's a bit irrational.

Now, maybe they just like guns and want one.  Ok, fine.  But anything else at that point is just an excuse...a deviation from "I like guns."

Maybe someone got personally attacked.  That's a more rational reason...not a random bombing.  Personal trauma can manifest all kinds of tendencies, and people don't tend to deal with stress very well.

It's not being judgmental; it's about proscribing one's behavior based on external stimulus and the behavior of others.

Point being is that the OP is correlation without causation - a fallacy that some gun purchasers seem to have been suckered into.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

So is denial

Who said that?

And it is disgusting.

Yes, I take evidence into account and determine the intent of people.  Every one does this.  Except you.  HA, HA, HA...

I go by what people actually say...not what I THINK they're saying. You should try it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Paranoia is contagious.

So is denial

Denial of what...?

Yes, they are.  But a gun is not a candy bar; it's likely not a purchase that's made on a whim.

But if the decision IS made based on what they read in the news, that's a bit irrational.

Now, maybe they just like guns and want one.  Ok, fine.  But anything else at that point is just an excuse...a deviation from "I like guns."

Maybe someone got personally attacked.  That's a more rational reason...not a random bombing.  Personal trauma can manifest all kinds of tendencies, and people don't tend to deal with stress very well.

It's not being judgmental; it's about proscribing one's behavior based on external stimulus and the behavior of others.

Point being is that the OP is correlation without causation - a fallacy that some gun purchasers seem to have been suckered into.

Surely you can at least understand everyone reacts to things differently. Where you and I wouldn't run out and buy a gun based on the events last week, there are others who might. Everyone's fear level is different. Some way more than others. Why should we judge someone because last weeks events scares them more than it scare you or I? 

I know people who've had their homes broken into and as a result bought a gun. My wife's place was broken into many years ago yet has no desire to have a gun in the house. Different levels of fear. We have a Louisville Slugger. Good enough for me. But then there are others who wouldn't even have a bat for self defense....again...different levels of fear.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

No the POINT is when politicians start talking about taking away rights people react to protect those rights in many different ways.

In this case; people think the government may make good on it's threa tadd more restrictions to our right to bear arms. So, they purchase more guns to protec their right to own them.

Nothing irrational about that!

I would argue that it's irrational for the govt to threaten to take away the rights of law abiding citizens.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Paranoia is contagious.

So is denial

Denial of what...?

Surely you can at least understand everyone reacts to things differently. Where you and I wouldn't run out and buy a gun based on the events last week, there are others who might. Everyone's fear level is different. Some way more than others. Why should we judge someone because last weeks events scares them more than it scare you or I? 

I know people who've had their homes broken into and as a result bought a gun. My wife's place was broken into many years ago yet has no desire to have a gun in the house. Different levels of fear. We have a Louisville Slugger. Good enough for me. But then there are others who wouldn't even have a bat for self defense....again...different levels of fear.

But that doesn't make the fear any more rational.  Buying a gun after a home invasion or carjacking is at least somewhat rational.  A bombing less so, IMO.  The former is infinitely more probable than the latter.  This isn't Kabul or Tripoli or Belfast.

Further, I have yet to hear a rational reason to stockpile weapons, much less assault weapons.  That's paranoia to the point of approaching a mental disorder.

There's a fine line indeed between "enthusiast" and "fanatic"...not just with guns but with anything.

But there's also fear mixed with narcisscism - the idea that world revolves around the self as opposed to the converse.  And we Americans are loaded with self-centeredness.  It's one of our defining characteristics.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Paranoia is contagious.

So is denial

Denial of what...?

But that doesn't make the fear any more rational.  Buying a gun after a home invasion or carjacking is at least somewhat rational.  A bombing less so, IMO.  The former is infinitely more probable than the latter.  This isn't Kabul or Tripoli or Belfast.

Further, I have yet to hear a rational reason to stockpile weapons, much less assault weapons.  That's paranoia to the point of approaching a mental disorder.

There's a fine line indeed between "enthusiast" and "fanatic"...not just with guns but with anything.

But there's also fear mixed with narcisscism - the idea that world revolves around the self as opposed to the converse.  And we Americans are loaded with self-centeredness.  It's one of our defining characteristics.

Ratonal is subjective. Just because YOU don't find somethig to be ratonal doesn't mean there isn't someone else thinks it is.

No one is judge and jury over someone elses fears.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ratonal is subjective. Just because YOU don't find somethig to be ratonal doesn't mean there isn't someone else thinks it is.

No one is judge and jury over someone elses fears.

Of course, we can rationalize anything we like...some are just more convincing than others.  Fear of death is perfectly rational, because death is universal; everyone dies.

Fear of death by jihadist bombing, however, is not so rational.  The likelihood of it happening is very, very small, and so the rationale is harder to defend.  Not impossible.  Just harder.

We call these fears phobias, and they inhabit a whole discipline of neurology and psychology...and not all of them are borne of sound minds.

Paranoia is an outsized fear...a fear out of proportion to the actual threat, implied or otherwise.  Doesn't it seem a bit strange that the same type of paranoia which would lead someone to bomb a public place would also manifest itself in people who were nowhere near the bomb site and never in any danger...?

Sections
Shortcuts