Hail to the Redskins (nickname anyway)

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Hail to the Redskins (nickname anyway)

Why is Chief Wahoo cracking a smile, the Tribe is only 12-13 under Tito Francona!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

So how would RG III feel about the name Washington Ni**ers?

I already know the posters here would like it, it appeals to their inner racist.

You think Redskins is the same as Ni**ers? Really? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

So how would RG III feel about the name Washington Ni**ers?

I already know the posters here would like it, it appeals to their inner racist.

you post here so, you admit you re a racist?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Angryman, er "Concerned Citizen", is certain anyone who disagrees with his far left political views is a racist.

Pathetic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I think if a new team came into the league (any major sports league) with a name similar to redskins, it would be a huge issue.  The Washington Redskins have a built in brand despite the distastefulness of the monikor, so much so that 4 out of 5 people support keeping the name in place.  It seems clear to me that they are not going to change the name anytime soon, because really there isn't any pressure to do so. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Funny how 'Redskins' was fine for DECADES. NOW all of a sudden it's bad. 

a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those American Indians surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name.[61] The results of the poll have been criticized by American Indian activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions).[62][63] But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.[64]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those American Indians surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name.[61] The results of the poll have been criticized by American Indian activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions).[62][63] But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.[64]

Every few years someone makes an issue of the name and it gets headlines, but as your post indicates and even more recent polling confirms, people are not really up in arms over the name, at least not to a degree that decision makers in the franchise would be concerned about negative blowback from the public generally, or their ticket buying base specifically. 

Which of course isn't to say that there aren't people out there who feel offended by the name, obviously they are out there.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Every few years someone makes an issue of the name and it gets headlines, but as your post indicates and even more recent polling confirms, people are not really up in arms over the name, at least not to a degree that decision makers in the franchise would be concerned about negative blowback from the public generally, or their ticket buying base specifically. 

Which of course isn't to say that there aren't people out there who feel offended by the name, obviously they are out there.  

There will always be someone somewhere who is offended by something. We've become FAR too PC in this country.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"It seems clear to me that they are not going to change the name anytime soon, because really there isn't any pressure to do so. "

To the contrary. In classic liberal fashion, it doesnt matter what a polls says or what fans think.  Lawsuit!! Cases against the Redskins name have been going on for over 20 years, neverending.

A small group of Native Americans have kept lawyers in business (I am guessing paid for by taxpayers), arguing the franchise should lose its federal trademark protection, based on a law that prohibits registered names that are disparaging, scandalous, contemptuous or disreputable, before an obscure agency, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"It seems clear to me that they are not going to change the name anytime soon, because really there isn't any pressure to do so. "

To the contrary. In classic liberal fashion, it doesnt matter what a polls says or what fans think.  Lawsuit!! Cases against the Redskins name have been going on for over 20 years, neverending.

A small group of Native Americans have kept lawyers in business (I am guessing paid for by taxpayers), arguing the franchise should lose its federal trademark protection, based on a law that prohibits registered names that are disparaging, scandalous, contemptuous or disreputable, before an obscure agency, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

Obviously those groups suing are skating uphill because the net effect has been no change.  And I don't think the native americans suing are doing so because they are "liberal", I suspect they find the name deeply offensive to their heritage. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Obviously those groups suing are skating uphill because the net effect has been no change.  And I don't think the native americans suing are doing so because they are "liberal", I suspect they find the name deeply offensive to their heritage. 

I don't even think they are offended. I think they're looking for a payout of some sort. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

PETA is also challenging the name of the Green Bay Packers, because it glorifies the meat packing industry and the slaughter of animals.  The NFL refused, however the team owner said he would graciously oblige as he is a vegan, and would change Green Bay to, "Fudge"

Surprised

That proposed name would be better suited for San Francisco.  (hey-oh!)

Sections
Shortcuts