Happy Independence Day Eve!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Happy Independence Day Eve!!!

On the eve of Independence Day, wishing everying in the forums a wonderful Independence Day and hopefully long relaxing weekend.

God Bless America and God Bless everyone in the forums!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Happy Independence Day Eve!!!

Can anyone name the three founding fathers that later became presidents who died on July 4th? and for extra credit can you name the only president ever to be born on july 4th? 

Please, lets have some fun with this and dont google the anwsers!

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

[QUOTE]

Can anyone name the three founding fathers that later became presidents who died on July 4th? and for extra credit can you name the only president ever to be born on july 4th? 

I'm going to make a vaguely educated guess. I think I actually came across this on the humor site  cracked.com once

Madison, Jefferson, Adams?

[/QUOTE]

Madison is wrong but Jefferson and adams is right. You are close though on the other one his last name does begin with an M.. care to give the extra credit question a try?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, there's the learned John Marshall but that's a guess based on the fact that no other Ms are occurring to me this second.

I suppose Monroe mightcount, though he definitely didn't have as big of a role in the founding as the 'big 7'.... 

[/QUOTE]

Monroe is right. Even though he didnt have a huge role as a founding father he still is technically considered a Founding father. 

Now, have you though of anyone for the extra credit question?? I'll give you a bit of a hint, 1872 was the year he was born on the 4th of july. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

Now, have you though of anyone for the extra credit question?? I'll give you a bit of a hint, 1872 was the year he was born on the 4th of july. 

No. I feel like the cracked article I read may have mentioned Woodrow Wilson, but if that's right it's not me getting it because I knew. No idea at all.

[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly it is Coolidge...though I would have to dig through my files for the paper I wrote last year..but I am fairly certain his birthday was on the 4th.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Andie..wishing you a happy 4th as well. Hope you get to do something fun over the holiday weekend. We've already started. We checked out the festivities on our town common and had a bite to eat...but it's too hot out. Our neighbors tell us that we can see the fireworks from our front yard..so that's what we'll do later. Otherwise..I am catching up on a little website management work..no rest for the weary..lol

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Andie..wishing you a happy 4th as well. Hope you get to do something fun over the holiday weekend. We've already started. We checked out the festivities on our town common and had a bite to eat...but it's too hot out. Our neighbors tell us that we can see the fireworks from our front yard..so that's what we'll do later. Otherwise..I am catching up on a little website management work..no rest for the weary..lol

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

miscricket,

Happy 4th to you as well.

We can see our town's fireworks from our front porch so hopefully we both will watch them from there. 

Saturday we are suppose to go to a birthday party of my 2 year old niece. If he is up to it, we will be there.

Website management...lots of fun. Lots of luck. 

andie

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

Thanks for adding some relevant fun to this thread!

Saw it too late to play...but looks like the smart posters did just fine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

On the eve of Independence Day, wishing everying in the forums a wonderful Independence Day and hopefully long relaxing weekend.

God Bless America and God Bless everyone in the forums!!!

I second your sentiments sincerely!

[/QUOTE]

jed,

I really hope you have some fun planned for the 4th as well as some well deserved R&R for the rest of the weekend!!!

andie

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No. I feel like the cracked article I read may have mentioned Woodrow Wilson, but if that's right it's not me getting it because I knew. No idea at all.

[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly it is Coolidge...though I would have to dig through my files for the paper I wrote last year..but I am fairly certain his birthday was on the 4th.

[/QUOTE]

That is the correct anwser. Nice job!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

On August 4th, 1920 he laid the cornerstone of Suffolk University's Archer building.

[/QUOTE]

mo,

Another "smart" poster weighs in. :)

I really hope you and yours are enjoying some R&R today, and through this long hot weekend. 

andie

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, there's the learned John Marshall but that's a guess based on the fact that no other Ms are occurring to me this second.

I suppose Monroe mightcount, though he definitely didn't have as big of a role in the founding as the 'big 7'.... 

[/QUOTE]

Monroe is right. Even though he didnt have a huge role as a founding father he still is technically considered a Founding father. 

[/QUOTE]

Tom cruise?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

skeeter,

Tom Cruise? As in "Born on the 4th of July" Tom Cruise?

Happy to see your overall sense of humor is well intact.

Hope you and yours are staying cool, hydrated and protected from the sun.

And no, this is not your "mom" talking. Just another forum poster who is particularly health conscious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Speaking of silent Cal:

"About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful. It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning can not be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers."

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

http://www.upworthy.com/frederick-douglas-was-asked-to-speak-at-a-july-4-celebration-it-didnt-go-so-well-4?c=upw1

Ten years before the Civil War, the city of Rochester, N.Y., asked Frederick Douglass to speak for its July 4, 1852, celebration. He accepted, but rather than join in the "celebration," Douglass took it in an unexpected direction. Here, Danny Glover performs a brilliant retelling of that speech.

If you recall, Douglass was a freed slave who educated himself and became a noted writer, orator, and social reformer. At 1:09, he suggests why the idea of a freed slave speaking at such an event was...well...weird. At 2:22, there's a great bit about the "blessings" that all free people had but slaves did not. At 3:43, he really nails the rising sentiment of abolitionists at the time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

skeeter,

And no, this is not your "mom" talking. Just another forum poster who is particularly health conscious.

Beer hydrates, right? I've been taking WDYWN advice to have another beer...all day long.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

As we celebrate our Independence Day, let us not forget the war we had to fight to achieve indepence as well as the wars we are fighting now and the very different world we live in today.                                                           

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

On August 4th, 1920 he laid the cornerstone of Suffolk University's Archer building.

[/QUOTE]

mo,

Another "smart" poster weighs in. :)

I really hope you and yours are enjoying some R&R today, and through this long hot weekend. 

andie

[/QUOTE]

Truth be told.... it was one of Suffolk U's tweets today ;-)

I'm enjoying the 4th,  just finished working...now sitting back and watching the POPs til I get the "moms taxi" call.  One child has ventured into Boston for the fireworks.

[/QUOTE]

Love the Pops on the Esplanade!!! Watched the TV coverage. Used to go when we lived in Boston.

Glad you are done working. Just LOVE waiting for those mom taxi calls. Put the cell on highest level , cross fingers and say everything is going to be fine. 

You are the 1st person I know that was a "Suffolk U Tweet". Awesome.

andie

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

skeeter,

Beer hydrates, right? I've been taking WDYWN advice to have another beer...all day long.

skeeter,

I am sure WDYWN will be thrilled to learn you took his advice on something. :)

Wish I could concur that beer/alcohol hydrates but...you know better. On the other hand, if you need to go to the ER to be put on an IV for hydration, the buzz you have acquired probably will reduce the sting and boredom about being in the ER for hours.

Another maternal/health tip. Take some Tylenol before bed to reduce morning hangover. Dring plenty of another fluid...water for example. Gatorade for electrolytes.

Glad you you seem to have a good day. Beer on the 4th. Maybe with hogs and hamburgers and apple pie. 

ps...check out the story on Joey Chesnut...won the hot dog eating contest by ingesting 69 hot dogs!!! Can you spell Alka Seltzer???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Beer hydrates, right?

Yeah, let's go with that.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

ingesting 69 hot dogs!

Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

Double "Ugh" to say the least!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

[QUOTE]

I am sure WDYWN will be thrilled to learn you took his advice on something. :)

Wish I could concur that beer/alcohol hydrates but...you know better.

Depending on the concentration of alcohol, it may. As it turns out, things rumored to cause dehydration - like coffee or beer - generally don't. Enough water is ingested that any increase in urination from the caffeine or alcohol is countered.

[QUOTE]

Another maternal/health tip. Take some Tylenol before bed to reduce morning hangover.

[/QUOTE]

Have to strongly disagree on that one. First, the acetomenophan will be processed long before you wake up.

Second, and more importantly, acetomenophan is terrible for your liver if you have alcohol in your system. The label says not to take any if you have more than 3 drinks daily, but this is an understatement. Alcohol and acetomenophan are a recipe for liver toxicity.

If you have any alcohol in you, it is far more advisable to take ibuprofen (advil) or naproxen sodium (aleeve). (The latter might still be in your system when you wake up, as well). Neither have a liver toxicity effect when taken with alcohol, though it's still not a good idea to make a practice of taking them together (stomach lining damage).

[/QUOTE]

Glad you weighed in. 

I was going by the old rules. Not being much of a drinker myself, have not kept up with the current recommendations.

Now skeeter not only has taken your advice to go have a beer...he now has the proper advice on what to do in the aftermath. 

Sections
Shortcuts