Hard To Believe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Hard To Believe

Iowa top court: Firing of attractive aide is legal

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa Supreme Court on Friday stood by its ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant because he found her too attractive and worried he would try to start an affair.

Coming to the same conclusion as it did in December, the all-male court found that bosses can fire employees they see as threats to their marriages, even if the subordinates have not engaged in flirtatious or other inappropriate behavior. The court said such firings do not count as illegal sex discrimination because they are motivated by feelings, not gender.

The ruling upholds a judge’s decision to dismiss a discrimination lawsuit filed against Fort Dodge dentist James Knight, who fired assistant Melissa Nelson, even while acknowledging she had been a stellar employee for 10 years. Knight and his wife believed that his attraction to Nelson — two decades younger than the dentist — had become a threat to their marriage. Nelson, now 33, was replaced by another woman; Knight had an all-female staff.

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2013/07/12/iowa-top-court-firing-attractive-aide-legal/qOomCuVEKkPP6YspiWeRfP/story.html

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Hard To Believe

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Extra credit: How'd the conversation go when he explained to his wife what the basis of his defense was?

I'm thinking the wife must have worked in the same office, and is the one who made a stink. 

Or maybe he called out the woman's name while having sex with the wife.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Extra credit: How'd the conversation go when he explained to his wife what the basis of his defense was?

No offence to the ladies of the forum but this one smacks of a directive from the home front to remove the threat from the scene. And sorry, the feelings of spouses are far more important than those of employees.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

A case where everybody loses.  How droll....

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

I wonder if you could fire someone for being too ugly?

ACC,

Hard to prove but people are often not hired for being too "ugly". Or losing their"looks".

Receptionists for example. Big plus is being attractive and usually young. Not a high skill job. The first face you see. The face of the company.

These employees are "at will" employees. Free to fire without cause. No notice required though most of us give two week notice from our jobs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

An't no lieyer but Seem's  kinda stupid to me. 

what if it were  gay men envolved .

It was a marriage issue. could have been about money in a divorce case.

chiefhowie,

It depends on the state. If it is "no fault" divorce, that it is not relevant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Sure He should keep her and divorce the wife . Maybe play with himself in the shower >  if she isn't interested in him.

chiefhowie,

Sounds like a plan. Kind of a disgusting plan, but a plan.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

No offence to the ladies of the forum but this one smacks of a directive from the home front to remove the threat from the scene. And sorry, the feelings of spouses are far more important than those of employees.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

SB,

No offense to this lady of the forum.

Absolutely could be coming from the home front. I know when a woman has zeroed in on my husband to be her "workplace spouse". 

I trust my husband completely. However, I do not like a woman splitting up her home spouse and her workplace spouse with my husband with my husband as her workplace spouse.

He has been oblivious each time. I have "asked" at times for him to make the "relationship" more distant. And each time I have had to explain what was going on though I was not there. I knew thru our conversations.

Emotional intimacy versus physical intimacy. I did not coin the phrase "workplace spouse".

Trust me. I am hardly the only spouse who has had to deal with this. And "this" sometimes does lead to physical intimacy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

Sure He should keep her and divorce the wife . Maybe play with himself in the shower >  if she isn't interested in him.

chiefhowie,

Ya I'm a dummy.

It read like a sex thing > not Gender.

chiefhowie,

You are not a dummy. I am well aware of what men do in showers, etc. Rather that then with the object of their current physical desire, speaking as a wife.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

chiefhowie,

Ya I'm a dummy.

It read like a sex thing > not Gender.

chiefhowie,

You are not a dummy. I am well aware of what men do in showers, etc. Rather that then with the object of their current physical desire, speaking as a wife.

Sorry!

I was referring this time to the post subject. > Judge's finding was wrong. 

Agreed.

Sections
Shortcuts